Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Reccomend a good 16X9 Pull-Down Projection Screen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 12:51 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey all! I just bought my first Projector (A slighly used Sony VPL-CS5) and am now in need of a good 16X9 Pull-Down Projection screen. Size is not an issue (Bigger is better, but as long as its 50' thats fine). Im looking to spend $150 or so...Any ideas?
Old 12-19-05, 12:59 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I'll let you know what I think of a fairly large Da-Lite screen in a couple of days. I have one being delivered tomorrow.

Specifying a more specific size might help with responses. There's a big difference between 50" (I assume you didn't mean 50') and 110".
Old 12-19-05, 01:27 AM
Suspended

As per size...not really sure. Whats a decent size to watch a 16X9 movie on?
Old 12-19-05, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It depends on the size of the room where the screen will be placed, and your viewing distance from the screen, to your sitting area. These factors alone, will officially determined the sufficient screen size to purchase. But remember, you don't want a screen that's too small, because you will not experience that immersive viewing like you would with a larger screen.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 12-20-05 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-19-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I have kicked around upgrading to about a 120" screen. I currently have a 100" 4:3 screen. I know that if you get very big on the 16:9 ones, they get super spendy.
Old 12-20-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
You can go over to projectorcentrel and see if they have the information for your PJ. Then they have a calculator that recommends screen size depending on our sitting area. Of course you can use it backwards as well, if you really want a certain size, use it to determine seating area.

Might not help, I only found a VPL-C5 PJ,

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...ulator-pro.htm

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-20-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-20-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I have kicked around upgrading to about a 120" screen. I currently have a 100" 4:3 screen. I know that if you get very big on the 16:9 ones, they get super spendy.
Did I answer you questions on building one?
Old 12-20-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is another good article on choosing a good screen size for you (in addition to the one posted by Sdallnct):

http://www.projectorcentral.com/screen_size.htm
Old 12-20-05, 11:13 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I tried out my new Da-Lite high contrast matte white 106" screen last night and was impressed.

By virtue of being a pull-down model (and not having been left extended for any amount of time) there are waves in the screen, even though I got a model with a vertical tensioning bar. From what I've read, all pull-downs without side tensioning tabs will eventually have waves. Tab-tensioned screens are very expensive and fairly rare in pull-down models.

But I couldn't see the waves in the picture. I think that's because the screen is a low gain (1.1) model with a wide viewing angle. Waves in a low gain screen don't appreciably reflect the image any particular direction as they would with higher gain, smaller viewing angle screens and you don't get any "hot-spotting". It was also nice to be able to move around the room and see the same brightness and quality of picture.

The gain you need in a screen is dependent on the light output of your projector, the size of the screen, and the light conditions of your viewing environment.
Old 12-21-05, 12:22 AM
Suspended

I still think you'll be quite impressed with how easy, cost effective, and well looking a nice do it yourself screen will look. Although, you can't retract them....
Old 12-21-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Did I answer you questions on building one?
Yeah, I bought it. Figure I will build it and that will make me want to upgrade.
Old 12-21-05, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Hey all! I just bought my first Projector (A slighly used Sony VPL-CS5) and am now in need of a good 16X9 Pull-Down Projection screen. Size is not an issue (Bigger is better, but as long as its 50' thats fine). Im looking to spend $150 or so...Any ideas?
Let me know how that projector works, I'm thinking of getting one!
Old 12-22-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Yeah, I bought it. Figure I will build it and that will make me want to upgrade.
The hardest part is stretching the screen material. If I remember he includes a link to how they stretch artist canvas, and that worked well. The out frame is actually not as hard to cover since it is black you really don't notice any small wrinkles you may get.

Good luck, post a pic when done so we can all critique it!
Old 12-24-05, 03:15 AM
Suspended

Got my projector and it looks pretty good even on a plain white wall (yeah yeah, I know). I do have two green lines running on each side of the picture, as well as some green 'splotches'....not sure what those are. I am running it at 1080i as well.
Old 12-25-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure about the green lines without seeing them .. maybe it's just the convergence? Are they up and down on the sides only? If so, make sure the projector is parallel with the screen and see if it improves.

Green splotches could be dust particles that need to be cleaned off the LCD panels.
Old 12-25-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The green lines could be from TV signals. If your PJ is showing 100% of the signal, there is usually some crap at the edges of TV that is never seen due to overscan. So if you have no overscan, it could be that.
Old 12-27-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
The hardest part is stretching the screen material. If I remember he includes a link to how they stretch artist canvas, and that worked well. The out frame is actually not as hard to cover since it is black you really don't notice any small wrinkles you may get.

Good luck, post a pic when done so we can all critique it!
I have a little experience stretching vinyl to make armrests for poker tables, so hopefully I can do this without much fuss. It may be awhile before I get this made, but I will definately post a pic.