Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice PLEASE on DLP versus Plasma

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a 50" size hdtv and have read some threads, and info on the different types and their pro's and cons, and shopped around alot but like other folks am still confused on which route to go. I like the plasma picture but am concerned about 'burn in'. I do not play video games on it, but do watch alot of sports and movies, and was warned about sports events causing 'burn in'. Is it really that much of a concern for those of you that have plasma sets and have similar viewing habits? I do see 'rainbow effect' on the DLP sets I have seen and the view at an angle is not as good as the plasma sets. They both look pretty sharp in terms of picture quality to me, but the plasma's look a little brighter to me with better color rendition. ANY ADVICE from those of you that have purchased some of these sets would be TRULY appreciated.
Thanks for your time and info-
smurr
Old 12-17-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plasma costs a lot more for the same size. Other than that, they would definitely be my preference.

I wouldn't worry about burn in. Set the contrast correctly as soon as you get the TV. And watch fullscreen stuff the first 100 hours, even if you have to stretch it. After that you'll be fine.
Old 12-17-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Any reason you don't mention LCD? You could go LCD flat panel (not sure if available that big at a decent price) or you could get LCD RP, like the new Sony's that seem to be getting pretty good reviews.
Old 12-17-05, 09:56 PM

For brighter picture, better color rendention, no rainbow effects, and no worry of burn-in, you might wanna look at the LCoS sets, that are out there. There's the JVC HD-ILA, and the Sony SXRB. The second gen. JVC sets are 56", for the smallest one. If you can get a JVC first gen. set, the smallest were 52". Don't know the smallest size Sony SXRB.
Just an idea...............
Good luck!
Old 12-21-05, 06:02 AM
EdL

DLP & LCOS/SXRD technology is superior to plasma & LCD. Home Theater Magazine, Sound & Vision, and several other publications have rated the Sony SXRD models the best HDTV sets they have ever scene.

With HDTV it's all about how deep blacks can get and still provide detail.

LCOS & SXRD are different brand names for the same technology.

EdL
Old 12-21-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is my advice, take a dvd you know and go to the local specialty store in your area and see for yourself!
Old 12-22-05, 12:31 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had a plasma for over 2 years and have no problems with burn in. My use is much like you describe yours will be - lots of sports, movies, and HDTV. For most people, burn in is just not an issue and the plasmas now are even more 'burn in' resistant than a few years ago. If you check out the Plasma and LCD forum at AVSForum.com you'll see that there are very, very few reports of real 'burn in'.
Old 12-26-05, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I just bought a philips 42 inch plasma after thanksgiving, and today while watching a dvd, i noticed one, tiny pixel thats burned-out, I think. It was just black, and I had to be real close to see it since I thought it was a small bug at first. I don't think it was caused by burn in since I've been watching most of my movies in full screen, but I have no idea how it got there. Like I said, I only can see it if I watch movies up close, but it still bothers me a little bit. Any ideas how this happened?
Old 12-26-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pixels will just die some times unfortunately. As far as LCD computer monitors go, some manufacturers even have "dead pixel" return policies where a certain number of them are expected (sometimes up to 10) right out of the box and are not considered a defect. Not sure if that applies to TV's though.
Old 12-26-05, 04:40 PM

I'm so sad for my loss.

RIP pixel
Old 12-26-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One month old? Gotta be under warranty. Every time I hear about a Philips TV these days, it's something like this. Scared me the hell away from 'em....