Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

To stretch or not to stretch?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.
View Poll Results: To stretch or not to stretch?
I always have the screen stretched
28.21%
I love my grey bars
35.90%
Depends on what I'm watching
35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a big screen TV over the summer (Toshiba 51h84) and am still playing with the settings.. I can't decide whether to keep my TV on "Stretch" mode or not... The picture gets a little blown out on Stretch, but I hate the grey bars and not being able to "fully" use my TV

I guess it is just personal preference
Old 12-16-05, 08:24 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
If it's just regular TV it's probably better to stretch just to even out the burn-in.
Old 12-16-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me it depends on what I'm watching. My undistorted, unstretched mode is called Standard on my Mits. The mode is for HD channels and anamorphic DVDs which is most of my viewing. For SD cable channels it really depends on what I'm watching. If its the local news I don't bother switching to 4:3 mode but if it's one of my favorite old sitcoms or old pre widescreen movies I'll watch it how it was intended in 4:3 with the bars on the sides. For DVDs that have an OAR of 4:3 I of course switch to 4:3 mode.

What do you mean by the picture gets blown out in stretch mode? Do the whites bloom or are you saying that the entire picture is too distorted? Many feel that Toshiba has some of the best stretch modes so your comment makes me raise an eyebrow.
Old 12-16-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chipmac
For me it depends on what I'm watching. My undistorted, unstretched mode is called Standard on my Mits. The mode is for HD channels and anamorphic DVDs which is most of my viewing. For SD cable channels it really depends on what I'm watching. If its the local news I don't bother switching to 4:3 mode but if it's one of my favorite old sitcoms or old pre widescreen movies I'll watch it how it was intended in 4:3 with the bars on the sides. For DVDs that have an OAR of 4:3 I of course switch to 4:3 mode.

What do you mean by the picture gets blown out in stretch mode? Do the whites bloom or are you saying that the entire picture is too distorted? Many feel that Toshiba has some of the best stretch modes so your comment makes me raise an eyebrow.
blown out isn't the right phrase... it actually just gets stretched like was described above
Old 12-16-05, 09:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
My Pioneer HDTV has a very good stretch mode and in the approximately one dozen times over the last 5 years that I've watched SD TV on it I generally used the stretch mode.

It stretches the two outside thirds the most so people don't all look fat. I found the grey bars were quite annoying in the non-stretch mode. If it had black bars I would have used them. But for people who watch a lot of TV on their HDTV the grey is there to try to even out the burn-in if they don't use the stretch.

My solution is to not watch regular TV on a 16:9 RPTV.
Old 12-16-05, 11:12 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have black pillars on my LCD. I hate the stretched image and pillarbox non-16x9.

However, if I had grey bars, I might think differently.
Old 12-17-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
In the evening, most of the content is HD anyway. News, commercials, reality shows, I would just as soon watch pillar-barred. My set uses black bars, but sometimes CBS pads 4:3 conent to 16:9 with gray bars. I think I'd prefer the gray bars all the time.

The stretch looks pretty bad I think. In showroom, I've seen brands with uniform stretch over whole screen, and non-uniform, mostly at edges. Both look bizarre to me, and the second makes me a little ill as the distortion increases as an object moves to the edge. (But Giantrobo would like the stretched women; even Danni (from Survivor) would look like she had meat on her bones)
Old 12-17-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I watch everything in it's OAR.
Old 12-17-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
I watch everything in it's OAR.
Old 12-17-05, 03:13 PM

I hardly use stretch (I also hardly watch anything but movies). I'll use it now and then just for the heck of it (usually if the source's quality isnt' that great) or if friend's are over as they can't seem to stand it. My Hitachi set does a very good job of stretching, however, and I have the choice of making the grey bars black which I usually do when viewing in complete darkness.
Old 12-17-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
For SD TV I leave my X-1 to fill the my entire 16:9 screen. Yea, on occasion it bothers me, but mostly it is ok for the normal crap that is on TV anyway.

Course now that I have HD content, the differences seem a lot more obvious since I can switch betweent the two with ease.
Old 12-18-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
I hate, hate, hate stretch modes. Sadly, most people I know who have 16x9 TV's stretch everything and don't really notice much difference. Maybe it's because I have black bars too, those gray ones really bug & distract me.

What I find weird is that most people use burn-in to justify stretching. But those same people would never dream of zooming a 2:35 DVD to fill the screen. Is there just as much likliehood of horizontal burn-in as vertical? Especially if you watch more DVD's than SD TV?
Old 12-18-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I leave my tv in stretch mode all the time. My voom receiver automatically senses if content is widescreen or not and adds the bars if needed.
Old 12-19-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I use a projector, so I don't really have grey bars to contend with. With no light going to the screen, it looks fine. So I go with OAR.
Old 12-19-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
What I find weird is that most people use burn-in to justify stretching. But those same people would never dream of zooming a 2:35 DVD to fill the screen. Is there just as much likliehood of horizontal burn-in as vertical? Especially if you watch more DVD's than SD TV?
Yes, burn-in has the same likelyhood anywhere on screen. The grey bars should remove the issue, though. That's why they are light grey. My source (HDTivo and DVDp) creates the bars and gives me the option of grey or black. I choose black and OAR.

Many people still think burn-in is an issue on LCD and DLP, too. Not even possible.
Old 12-19-05, 02:57 PM
Banned

I stretch sports, but everything else is usually kept OAR.
Old 12-19-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OAR for me.
Old 12-20-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends what I'm watching.

HD material, movies, most TV shows are all OAR. But that Toshiba has a really good stretch mode (#1 on the options, I believe) that I would use for things like news programs, documentaries, some sports, and anything else that it looks good for. (I find that animated stuff -- Simpsons, Family Guy -- looks fantastic in mode 1.)

I would never stretch a movie or something "important"... but when it's just the news or something I'm just watching casually to pass the time, I stretch as long as it is not distracting. If I find it looks like crap, I go right back to 4x3. Easy-peasy.
Old 12-20-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Samsung DLP ahs a nice panorama mode, but I'd much rather have the side bars than the stretched edges.
Old 12-20-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It depends on what I'm watching but for most SD non-movie TV I do stretch it on my 65" Mits.
Old 12-21-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely OAR for any DVDs I watch, but we do stretch it sometimes for regular non HDTV. I'm really not worried about OAR on TV I'm probably not paying attention to anyway. If its something I really enjoy watching though I will use OAR.
Old 12-21-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I don't like the stretch mode on my HDTV but I do like the stretch mode on my HD-box(DVR) - for sports only.