Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does this component exist?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-14-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been looking around the net recently for an a/v component that will hook up directly to my home theater system where I can store .avi, .vob, mpeg,.mp3 files directly onto it and view/listen to the files on my home theater...like an audio/video jukebox with a large HD built in.So far I havent found anything at all. Something like this has to exist.
Old 12-14-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's called a PC.

Olive makes an audio version of this, but no video. A Mac Mini would be a silent, tiny PC that could do it fairly unobtrusively. Nobody has made a great DVD player for Mac, though, so it isn't a replacement for a good DVD player like a good Windows HTPC could be.
Old 12-14-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just store the stuff on a pc, then use a wireless server to display them on your tv?
Old 12-14-05, 12:43 PM

thats how i have it setup now. s video to the tv and a coax line to the receiver. Its not the sane though, esp with no remote
Old 12-14-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
thats how i have it setup now. s video to the tv and a coax line to the receiver. Its not the sane though, esp with no remote
Something like the D-Link DSM-320 - Wireless Media Player - 802.11G Audio/Photo/Video device. It has a remote.
Old 12-14-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a modded xbox running XBox media center would do exactly what you want. You could store content on the HD, or stream it from your PC.

Mods: I'm not up on the rules regarding the discussion of modding, so I won't say anything more. There are some good resources on the net though if this is an option you want to pursue.
Old 12-14-05, 09:44 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by BobDole42
a modded xbox running XBox media center would do exactly what you want. You could store content on the HD, or stream it from your PC.
That is an awesome idea. Much cheaper than a PC, that is for sure.

Are XBoxes pretty much silent? And do you know if they can serve as a DVR?
Old 12-14-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

xboxes are pretty much silent, except for the noise of the HD (which is pretty quiet). I put a 160 gig hard drive in mine. I love it. For around $250 (including HD) you could have an awesome media server. Xbox Media Center is a truly awesome program. You can boot right to it, and stream media from your PC or play from the HD. It even interfaces with your iTunes library. Not to mention the fact that it is all remote controlled.
Old 12-15-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

xbmc is great, but if you need it as a DVR, it cannot do that. Only video out.
Old 12-15-05, 11:39 AM

Both LaCie (www.lacie.com) and G-Tech (www.g-technology.com) make external hard drives with AV setups/remotes as you describe.
Old 12-16-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by BobDole42
xboxes are pretty much silent, except for the noise of the HD (which is pretty quiet). I put a 160 gig hard drive in mine. I love it. For around $250 (including HD) you could have an awesome media server. Xbox Media Center is a truly awesome program. You can boot right to it, and stream media from your PC or play from the HD. It even interfaces with your iTunes library. Not to mention the fact that it is all remote controlled.
I use the xbox just for this reason. Although I haven't been able to stream from my PC, I just copy stuff to it's hard drive or burn on a DVDr and watch it using XBMC. (I would love to have my iTunes on my xbox...needs to find a good tutorial)
Old 12-16-05, 12:30 PM

thanks for all the replies..i found exactly what im looking for ...called media center by HP