TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Devlopment to Showtime? - more from Variety

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 09:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrested Devlopment to Showtime? - more from Variety

Sorry to mods if this belonged in some existing thread...

Inside Move: Nets keen to get 'Arrested'
Ratings-challenged laffer's third-season order recently cut

By DENISE MARTIN, JOSEF ADALIAN

'Arrested Development'
Ratings-challenged critical darling 'Arrested Development,' in limbo at Fox, has drawn interest from both ABC and Showtime.

Fox still hasn't officially canceled "Arrested Development," but if it does, other networks are interested in the show.

Both ABC and Showtime have had conversations with 20th Century Fox TV and indicated they're open to making a deal for new episodes of the critically beloved, Emmy-winning comedy from creator Mitch Hurwitz. No formal negotiations have taken place, and there are still numerous hurdles that might prevent such a move -- including the show's hefty pricetag.

That said, those familiar with the talks described them as serious, with Showtime said to be in particularly hot pursuit of the ratings-challenged laffer, now on life support at Fox. SkeinSkein's third-season order was recently cut to 13 episodes.

Showtime could be a good place for "Arrested." Skein's subversive humor and heavily serialized storylines always made it a tough sell as a mass-appeal broadcast series. What's more, Showtime already has a potential companion for "Arrested" in "Weeds," which just received a second-season pickup. That show is a suburban satire centered on a drug-dealing soccer mom played by Mary-Louise ParkerMary-Louise Parker.

Network entertainment toppertopper Robert Greenblatt has made an aggressive push to make Showtime a player in the comedy bizbiz. He's greenlit several since his arrival -- including "Fat Actress" and "Barbershop""Barbershop" -- and "Arrested" could be the piece de resistance. If even half of the skein's Fox viewers -- last averaging around 4 million per episode -- watched on Showtime, "Arrested" would be an instant cable hit.

ABC, meanwhile, is also looking to make its mark in comedy, having already established itself as the home of TV's most buzzworthy dramas ("Lost," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy"). Net has high hopes for upcoming laffers, such as "Emily's Reason's Why Not," "Crumbs" and "Sons and Daughters," as well as a sophomore contender, "Jake in Progress."

Since Fox has yet to officially cop to canceling "Arrested," 20th can't formally make any deals with another net. There are other barriers to setting the show up elsewhere, however.

Studio has already deficited millions in order to produce the show, which costs about $1. 6 million per half-hour to produce. It's believed 20th deficits about $400,000 per episode.

Even if ABC or Showtime stepped up with the same license fee Fox now forks over for the show, 20th execs will have to decide whether it's worth it to sink more money into a show that isn't a proven ratings winner. That's one reason the studio might push for at least a 22-episode (or greater) commitment from a net.

Studio needs 36 episodes to get "Arrested" to the magic number of 88 episodes required for syndication. But even if it gets to syndication, there's no guarantee of a rich payday in the off-netoff-net market.

On the other hand, "Arrested" is a winner in the DVD market, and more episodes mean more DVD sales. Skein could also take off if given mass exposure on a cablercabler such as Showtime -- particularly now that the feeveefeevee cabler is part of Leslie Moonves' CBS Corp. family.

Moonves certainly knows something about making lemons out of lemonade. One of his first acts upon taking over CBS was picking up a show from NBC called "JAG." Skein ran for nearly a decade on the Eye and spawned the successful spinoff "NCIS."

Studio, Showtime and ABC declined comment.

Date in print: Wed., Dec. 14, 2005, Los Angeles
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...8&cs=1&s=h&p=0
Old 12-14-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
So I have to subscribe to Showtime, now? So long, Starz...
Old 12-14-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I always said that while I thought the chances of a pick-up from some other network were slim, the most likely and logical suitor would be Showtime.
Old 12-14-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Until it's a done deal, I'm not holding my breath.

But, I'm happy it's gotten a lot of buzz like this.
Old 12-14-05, 09:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Cool. Does this mean titties and the f-word?
Old 12-14-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
^ I hope not. The blurred titties and bleeps are the jokes.

Wow. Awesome news. Looks like both networks could use it, my hope is showtime, even if that means me having to subscribe since it would probably last longer on there than ABC is willing to let a show struggle.

If it is picked up by showtime, it will be the first premium channel I subscribe to and plan on letting them know that it is because of Arrested Development. I'm sure they would be glad to get letters like that knowing their investment is paying off in getting new subscribers.

Last, does Showtime offer an HD feed?

If they decide before this run is up Hurwitz could work it into the show, pretty much free advertising for Showtime.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 12-14-05 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Last, does Showtime offer an HD feed?
Yes.
Old 12-14-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
One more thing, I don't see why the cost is an issue for showtime. They forked over a mil per episode of Stargate 9 years ago. That was a risk, and if they view 2 million viewers a hit, I don't see the problem.
Old 12-14-05, 09:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Makes sense to me -- would love to see this happen.
Old 12-14-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I will sign up for Showtime the day this is official.
Old 12-14-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Wooo. I have Showtime.
Old 12-14-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Things are looking better for AD. I hope it's Showtime that gets this show. I think it has a better chance there than at ABC.
Old 12-14-05, 10:27 AM

Received 807 Likes on 524 Posts
Maybe ABC would put it in the TGIF mix?
Old 12-14-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Neat. I'd actually subscribe to Showtime solely for this. I wish they had a better selection of movies in high-definition, though.
Old 12-14-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
As Mr. Corvin stated, this would be the first pay channel for me also, and I love this show enough to go for it. Best case, IMHO, would be for Fox to get territorial with all the attention and decide to keep it and market it better.
Old 12-14-05, 10:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the show, but I'm not subscribing to Showtime just to see it. It'll be cheaper to buy the DVDs.
Old 12-14-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if the show does move to Showtime, I guess I won't be seeing THESE ever again!

Old 12-14-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Wow, that would be like 7 kinds of awesome if it happened.
Old 12-14-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bah. This means I'll have to get digital cable, but I would never deny the woman who gave me chlamydia.
Old 12-14-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by THX7966
Love the show, but I'm not subscribing to Showtime just to see it. It'll be cheaper to buy the DVDs.
2-3 months of Showtime figure to be about the same price or more than a full season DVD collection. I can also wait for the DVDs.

With that in mind I'm hoping ABC gets the show, but I'll be happy as long as it survives.
Old 12-14-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I would sign up for Showtime if this happened.
Old 12-14-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But with Showtime, you'll also get The Red Shoe Diaries!
Old 12-14-05, 11:42 AM
Suspended

And The L Word.
Old 12-14-05, 11:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Cool. Does this mean titties and the f-word?
Honestly I think Mitch & co. would choose to use or not use these elements as they see fit. I think they would keep with the "censorship" on a lot of things, but I think if they feel they can get comic mileage out of a well-placed bit of nudity or profanity I think they'd go for it.
Old 12-14-05, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would not sign up to showtime just for AD. Had it for a while and dropped it. Horrible movies, there is like 4 showtime movie channels, the only half decent show on showtime is weeds. Would rather hold off for the dvd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.