Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

When will Mame the musical hit DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When will Mame the musical hit DVD?

The Lucille Ball musical from 1974 Mame is long overdue on the DVD format.

I know that the film is not well regarded , by a lot of people, but I love the spectacular sets and costumes and it does have a couple of great musical numbers, admittedley, they're marred for many by the rather unfortunate singing voice of Miss Ball!! The Bosom Buddies number remains a standout performance, by Bea Arthur and lucille Ball, although at the time it was cut from the movie, however the laserdisc release had it in full!

I'm also wondering what other titles, musical and non musical Warner Bros has "up it's sleeve" for 2006? It is also time the two color Technicolor Fay Wray/Lionel Atwill releases from Warner Bros in 1932/33, Dr X and The Mystery of The Wax Museum were given an outing together again - I know Mystery is out on the House Of Wax DVD!
Old 12-09-05, 12:46 PM

I'm still waiting for WRESTLING ERNEST HEMINGWAY.
Old 12-09-05, 03:43 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding the bosom buddies number...I saw the film the first week it played in theaters (at the Ciinerma Dome in Hollywood) and the bosom buddies was there. It's always been there. I have a VHS copy of the movie and the number is there.
Old 12-09-05, 11:22 PM

I've seen "Mame" many times including when it opened at Radio City and when I was in college, it was on HBO a lot. It always had "Bosom Buddies" in it.
Old 12-10-05, 06:17 AM

I'm certain that, when I first saw the movie the number was partially excised ie there was a chorus but not the whole song as it appears on the original movie soundtrack!

Anyway when Warner bros finally does get around to releasing the movie on DVD it appear in the complete version.
Old 03-05-07, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mame is going to be released on June 19th, 2007. More info here:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64264

and here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....73#post7687573
Old 03-05-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
My wife is going to be very happy. This is her #1 most requested DVD.
Old 03-10-07, 09:13 AM

I remember Bosom Buddies being absent a couple of times when it played on TV, but it was there the first time I saw it broadcast. That always made me wonder if I had imagined seeing it the first time. Then I got the VHS and poof there it was. Must have been a time restraint thing to squeeze in a few more advertising dollars in commercials.
Old 06-25-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received my copy of Mame this week. I honestly didnt expect to be as please with the release as I am.

After suffering through endless releases of this film, I finally have an OAR version, or near OAR. The OAR is listed as 2.35:1, however the picture looks slightly less than this, however, you get a full widescreen experience.

The picture quaility is excellent as is the sound.
There few extra's just a couple of trailers.

Had I know this would have been included in the soon to be released Lucille Ball 5 movie box set, I would have waited and got that instead. I'll probably pick it up anyway.

Mame was the first film I looked for when I got my first DVD player back in 1998. Much has been said about Lucille Balls performance but I think its charming. I love Angela Landsbury as mame, equally, for different reasons, but for me, Lucy is Mame. (and she reminds me of my mom in this picture hehe).

I find the vocals in Mame to be in keeping with the style in the 70s. Many musicals of the time feature odd vocals, and though I wish Balls voice was up to snuff in 74, I still think she carries the tunes with charm.

For the Mame fans, this release will not disappoint. I was happy to see the IMDB rating has creeped above the 5.0 mark too.

Jim

PS: Don't blame me, I voted for Saxon.... heheheheh very funny. Classic.