Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION!!! (Not official, but confirmed-ish)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4659

All I can say is WOO-HOO. I can't wait. It will be a part of Nickelodeon's Rewind Collection.
Old 12-08-05, 04:45 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Awesome!
Old 12-08-05, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weren't there a buttload of WKRP IN CINCINATTI-level legal red tapes and music rights keeping YCDDOTV in limbo?

I can only surmise that this will be some kind of Best-Of thing, akin to what the Electric Company is getting.
Old 12-08-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything is better than nothing at this point. I'll take what I can get.
Old 12-08-05, 04:53 PM

Barfy Burgers!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Super Leviathan
Weren't there a buttload of WKRP IN CINCINATTI-level legal red tapes and music rights keeping YCDDOTV in limbo?
I don't know.

[gets slimed]
Old 12-08-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I heard that's all water under the bridge now...

*splash*
Old 12-08-05, 05:25 PM

I can only surmise that this will be some kind of Best-Of thing, akin to what the Electric Company is getting.

Negative. Not from what I heard, anyway.
Old 12-08-05, 05:41 PM

Blue skys
Barfy Burgers
Girls !!
Old 12-09-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just read it at TSoD. Great news! I wasn't expecting this to be a part of the Rewind Collection because I didn't think Nick owned it. I guess they do now.
Old 12-09-05, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Whoo hoo!

This is awesome!

I'm guessing this will start with season 2. That's fine by me. I just hope people don't get confused when they can't find season 1 anywhere.

Seasons 2, 3, and 4 each had 13 episodes.

Season 5 had 26 episodes.

It was during season 6 that Lisa Ruddy left, and during season 7 that Christine McGlade left. So seasons 2, 3, 4, and 5 are what I really want.

I hope there's no censorship on these DVDs. I was 11 in 1982 when I started watching this, and I am smarter and better for having seen it.
Old 12-09-05, 01:41 AM

Oh god. I loved that show. Give it to me. Now!!
Old 12-09-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read this at TSOD then came over to here.

This is FANTASTIC news!

I spent sooooo much time acquiring the episodes, but I'm all over this!!!

This was my all time favorite show!

From what I know, most of the season 1 episodes are lost. 1979 eps were live. One lady who worked for CJOH gave tapes to her son, but they were damaged a few years later in a basement flood. I have 4 of them on tape, they are good, but quite different than seasons 2 and on.

There was a "Worst of" VHS released long ago. I had a ton of opportunities to purchase it, and didn't.

I just believed that Nick would air it forever. The show went out of production in 1991, and they aired it until 94. Long life for a great comedy.

Supposedly the fact that so many kids came and went during the series run meant that CJOH would have to pay lots of $$$ in residuals that they weren't ready to do.

Nickelodeon never has owned the show, although they wish they did.

They 'borrowed' episodes to show during their 20th anniversary celebration.

There are plenty of dated jokes, most of today's kids wouldn't get stuff.

And while a good portion of the humor is considered cutting edge and shocking for its time, it's tame now.

But I still love it!!!!!

Oh, did I have a crush on Lisa...
Old 12-09-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOO! Extremely happy. I will buy all of these.

Now, please give me some releases of Doug, Salute Your Shorts, and Hey Dude and I will be happy. I need at least one season of all of those on my shelf.

I would also love a box set type deal that has an episode from each gameshow they did.... Double Dare... Super Sloppy Double Dare... Family Double Dare... Finders Keepers... Get the Picture... Nick Arcade... Guts... Legends of the Hidden Temple...
Old 12-09-05, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by nightwing82
WOO! Extremely happy. I will buy all of these.

Now, please give me some releases of Doug, Salute Your Shorts, and Hey Dude and I will be happy. I need at least one season of all of those on my shelf.

I would also love a box set type deal that has an episode from each gameshow they did.... Double Dare... Super Sloppy Double Dare... Family Double Dare... Finders Keepers... Get the Picture... Nick Arcade... Guts... Legends of the Hidden Temple...
Don't forget Out of control and Today's special!
Old 12-09-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Today's Special" consumed my life to about age 5.

"Today's Special, shouting loud and clear......Today's Special!"
Old 12-09-05, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by nightwing82
What?! No love for Turkey Television?
Old 12-09-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. I remember watching this show, Turkey Television, Today's Special, and Pinwheel as much as possible when I was a kid.

I have a hard time believing this show will stand the test of time. I caught some snippets from I Love the 80's 3D a couple of weeks ago, and it looked pretty bad. I sure did love it as a kid, though.

I will probably buy it anyways, just to relive some childhood memories
Old 12-09-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Pinwheel Pinwheel Pinwheel!

Don't know if I would actually buy it, but that was my #1 favorite show when I was a kid. Still remember the theme song.
Old 12-09-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Supposedly the fact that so many kids came and went during the series run meant that CJOH would have to pay lots of $$$ in residuals that they weren't ready to do.
I can tell you that this is not true. I know one of the former cast members, and he says that at the time he didn't realize it since he was a kid, but they were all paid next to nothing to do the show. He was on for a few seasons in the mid-80's and a few years back he said he'd love for a DVD to be released so he could make a little money off the show.
Old 12-09-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I almost fainted when I saw this news last night at work.....I can't wait for this....
Old 12-09-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome news. The classic Nick shows, with Pete & Pete, this and Hey, Dude at the top, are some of the last few "must haves" for me. Hard to imagine five years ago I'd ever see YCDTOT in stores. Now hopefully they'll get the ball rolling on Clarissa again. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I'd still like to see the rest of the seasons released.
Old 12-10-05, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
I can tell you that this is not true. I know one of the former cast members, and he says that at the time he didn't realize it since he was a kid, but they were all paid next to nothing to do the show. He was on for a few seasons in the mid-80's and a few years back he said he'd love for a DVD to be released so he could make a little money off the show.
Ok, maybe residuals was the wrong word to use. Maybe they just feel they would be obligated or something. But I know that CJOH is not really a big station anymore, they just produce news or something.

I'm kinda outta the loop. I used to post and read on the YCDTOTV boards when they were on AOL, used to do a lot of trading too. Looooong time ago.
Old 12-10-05, 10:27 PM

I can see the cover now, I don't remember what seasons Alanis Morissette was on the show, but I want to say it was later in the run. STARRING ALANIS MORRISSETTE in HUGE type, on the box or a sticker on the shrink wrap. Nobody else will get any kind of billing. I used to love this show when I was a kid. And recently saw the episode of family guy where Peter gets slimed and then they show the guy's cracked face like the credits of YCDTOT. I almost peed.
Old 12-11-05, 08:09 AM

What Do You Thinks In The Burger!?!?!?!?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.