Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wreck: The Pirkinning (Finnish sci-fi movie)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wreck: The Pirkinning (Finnish sci-fi movie)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning (Finnish sci-fi movie, free download)

From www.starwreck.com :

The first Finnish full-length scifi parody is made from astounding special effects, action and loads of dark humour. It is the product of a core group of five Finns and many people who've helped us during the seven years it has been in the making.
For something of its level, this movie is awesome. It can even be compared to some Hollywood production. Having Star Trek ship battling against Babylon 5 ships is like a wet dream come true. And while the story itself is a little bit simplistic, the jokes itself are funny from beginning to end.

I felt like that I've been living under the rock for not knowing this movie until recently. But I'm glad that I came up into it anyway.

You can download the movie from the website, although when I first tried to download it, the http server is on high traffic so they turned it off temporarily (it seems to be normal as I'm typing this). If it's busy, you can still download it via bittorrent if you have the client.

More from the website:

In the Pirkinning?

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning is a feature-length sci-fi parody, seven years in the making. It is the product of a core group of five Finns, and over 300 extras, assistants and supporters. The film combines world-class visual effects, a rough-and-ready sense of humour, and a passion that provide the basis for the first-ever Finnish science fiction adventure.

Whats' it about?

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning is not your run-of-the-mill parody aimed solely at Star Trek fans. It is a motion picture for everyone with a taste for action, humour and zany characters. It is the story of Emperor Pirk - a star fleet commander who declares himself a global overlord and decides to expand his reign beyond the farthest reaches of the universe. The story that unfolds amidst the space battles is a stark reminder of how dangerous the mixture of ambition, cowardice and stupidity is.

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning begins with Captain James B. Pirk of the starship Kickstart shipwrecked on the 21st century Earth with his crew. Originally from the distant future, Pirk and his crew travelled back in time to save the Earth from hostile aliens, but lost their ship and became stranded. Pirk's daily routine consists mainly of stuffing his face at the local fast food restaurant, and he is finding it difficult to convince the ladies he is, in fact, an intergalactic space hero from the future.

As the prospects for humanity's conquest of space look increasingly bleaker, Pirk comes up with a questionable plan to save mankind's future...

Who made it?

There is no major production company behind the film, but five students and unemployed people from Tampere, a bit of blue linoleum and a few home computers. With these building blocks was created a great adventure and a motion picture that will send major shockwaves through the Finnish film industry - we hope. The big productions couldn't afford catering for the money that went into our film, yet the end result is in many ways a historic, loved, and appreciated film. The Secret Ingredient was passion and the will to prove that not everything is about money.

Whom it may concern

When Star Wreck 5 appeared online for free distribution in 1997, it was a groundbreaking phenomenon. Never before had a film of such proportions (about 45 minutes in length) been released for free, and the word began to spread on message boards and mailing lists. Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning follows in the footsteps of its forerunner, and is one of the first feature-length quality special-effects films ever to be released online for free.

The torch is being carried by thousands of fans worldwide. They have been tireless in their support for the seven-year production and ensured that the team has kept their faith and their energy. The quality of Star Wreck is largely thanks to their expectations, the meeting of which became a point of honour for the creators.

Now what?

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning is ready, and the creators are happy with it. There was but one objective for the release: that the film may spread as widely as possible. But are the filmmakers satisfied?

Nope. There is more to come. But that, as they say, is another story!

Wreck on!

Last edited by eedoon; 12-07-05 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 09:16 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've sampled the visual effects and they are jaw dropping for non-Hollywood--easily on par with anything you saw on DS9, VOYAGER or ENTERPRISE. I haven't sat down to work through the story yet because I have to work myself up for listening to those god-awful Finnish accents for 2 hours...
Old 12-05-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, there's been some complaints about the accent, but since I don't understand them that doesn't matter much to me (I'm watching it subtitled).

It hard to believe someone can pull that up just with a few PC sitting in their kitchen.
Old 12-05-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Interesting. Mods --- add "Free Download" in the title.
Old 12-05-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eedoon
It hard to believe someone can pull that up just with a few PC sitting in their kitchen.
I think I read somewhere that some of the GCI took 10 hours per frame to render. It's even more amazing when you consider that.
Old 12-07-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Interesting. Mods --- add "Free Download" in the title.
I tried to modify it but with no result (I thought you can change the thread title before there are 10 reply). Mods?

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I think I read somewhere that some of the GCI took 10 hours per frame to render. It's even more amazing when you consider that.
You heard right. From IMDb trivia section:

The CGI were rendered using standard home computers. In some scenes a single frame could take over ten hours to render and in one second of footage there are 25 frames. Overall, the CGI seen in the movie took five years to render.

Last edited by eedoon; 12-07-05 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-18-06, 11:12 PM

mad propz to the guys who made this film.. I'm sure if you speak the language you can laugh at more than what's being said (i.e boot screens, signs on walls etc.)

All in all, amazing what people can do with a bit of tenacity...
Old 02-28-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally got to watch this over the weekend. I had seriously low expectations after most of the fanfilms I've seen and came away very happy. The acting is better than most fanflicks, the FX is miles better, and it had a fairly coherent (if a little long) story.

Right there it's better than most Michael Bay movies.

Federation starships against Earth Alliance/White Star vessels?