Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that were made simply for actors/actresses to make $$?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-03-05, 09:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

So by now, most know that Charlize Theron took "Aeon Flux" simply for the money (or at least that is what she says perhaps after hearing the movie was going to be critically panned). Why she would do a movie because of that, because we know she can't be too bad off in the financial situation department, is also stupifying.

So a few questions...

1) what are some other films that were made strictly for the actor or actress to make some dough? and how did the movie turn out?

2)what would possess an "A" list star, such as Theron, to do such a thing when there is no way they need the $ or is it just a response to universal drubbing?

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-03-05 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce Willis in Hudson Hawk
Arnold Schwarzenegger in Last Action Hero
Jim Carey in The Cable Guy
Sylvester Stallone in Rambo 3

All were big budget flops. And the reason for these actors to make them was to further boost their egos.
Old 12-03-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Theron's been in plenty of movies, but it's only recently she's become a big name where she can get ginormous salaries. aeon Flux probably came around right after her Oscar buzz/win. I'm guessing it might have sounded interesting or she wanted a break after serious films like Monster (and if it film before aeon, North Country) or there was no other good projects at the time or she was doing someone a favor or she wanted to collect Faberge eggs.
Old 12-03-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Jim Carey in The Cable Guy

All were big budget flops. And the reason for these actors to make them was to further boost their egos.
Jim Carrey might've gotten a huge payday for The Cable Guy, but the film itself is actually a pretty solid dark comedy.
Old 12-03-05, 09:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Jericho
I'm guessing it might have sounded interesting or she wanted a break after serious films like Monster (and if it film before aeon, North Country) or there was no other good projects at the time or she was doing someone a favor or she wanted to collect Faberge eggs.
Or Paramount said, "Hey! You just won an Oscar and you're now a household name! Here's a 10 million dollar payday to grab your attention to star in out next potential franchise!"

This thread could be endless. It would be harder to list movies that actors DIDN'T do for money.

It's their living, and most will go where the paycheck leads.
Old 12-03-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I read in Premiere that Theron signed on to star in "Aeon Flux" before her Oscar win (along with "North Country").
Old 12-03-05, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I read in Premiere that Theron signed on to star in "Aeon Flux" before her Oscar win (along with "North Country").

Premiere also still thinks that Libby Gelman Waxner column is still funny. I wouldn't trust everything they say.
Old 12-03-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
Demi Moore: Striptease.
Old 12-03-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ocean's 12
Old 12-03-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cuba Gooding Jr's entire post-Jerry Maguire career.
Old 12-03-05, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Premise
Ocean's 12

Good example, but a tricky situation. The cast took pay cuts to be in the film, with promise of huge back end money when/if the film made it big.

I think that dealing shows the most integrity of an actor. It forces the talent to gamble on themselves. I'd like to see more of that.

Last edited by scott shelton; 12-03-05 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
I wouldn't call Charlize an A-list actress just because she won an Oscar. If she were to have had top billing in a string of highly successful, blockbuster-type movies, then yes.
Old 12-03-05, 10:43 PM

I think I read somewhere that Morgan Freeman said that the only reason he did Batman Begins was for the dinero.
Old 12-03-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Of course, who could forget Eddie Murphy in The Adventures of Pluto Nash? Boy, was that a stinker....
Old 12-03-05, 10:48 PM

How bout Halle Berry in Catwoman? At least I hope she got paid for that flop.
Old 12-03-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One word: Gigli
Old 12-03-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
So, is this just going to become a list of movies, were actors got paid lots of money, but the movie sucked/tanked?

They're actors, they get paid to act. If some company came and offered me big bucks to do shit work....I'd jump at it to.

I'm reminded of something Christopher Walken said 'I don't say no to work, I'm an actor, its how I make a living'
Old 12-03-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure if I entirely understand the question. The way it's worded makes it sound like the studios made these movies with the sole purpose of paying a lot of money to an actor. I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
Old 12-03-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Theron admits she only did Aeon Flux for the money?
Old 12-03-05, 11:13 PM

Pulp Fiction 2. I hope.
Old 12-03-05, 11:16 PM

Jason Statham, Burt Reynolds and the rest of the cast of In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.
Old 12-03-05, 11:17 PM

Sam Neill, William H. Macy - Jurassic Park III
Old 12-03-05, 11:35 PM
Banned

The original post seems phrased awfully wrong, so....

Eddie Murphy took the money to make The Golden Child without having read the script.

Michael Caine made Jaws: The Revenge to basically get a paid vacation.

$$$$ HAS TO BE the reason Sean Connery agreed to make Highlander 2. There's just no other explanation, unless the director had blackmailed him with naughty photos or something.

On the other end, Harrison Ford turned down Michael Douglas' role in Traffic because it would've required a massive pay cut.

Also, Hudson Hawk was a long-time-in-the-making labor of love for Bruce Willis. It bombed big, but he definitely didn't do it for the money. Though I think he took the money to do Billy Bathgate.
Old 12-03-05, 11:40 PM

I think we should stick to actors who openly admit they did the film just for the money.

A movie may suck, but that doens't necessarily mean "it was just for the money". Of course, this is their job, so it's not like money doesn't cross the mind when any actor takes a role.

But for two real examples...

John Malkovich for Con-Air. I remember reading an interview where he openly said "it's for the money".

And same with Richard Dreyfuss. From any interview with him regarding the upcoming Poseiden Adventure...

"Devin: So I understand that you retired from films in 2004. What brought you back?

Dreyfuss: Money.

Devin: OK. But what was it about Poseidon in particular that really got your interest?

Dreyfuss: The money they offered."
Old 12-03-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott shelton
It's their living, and most will go where the paycheck leads.
Exactly. And I'll be damned if I can see or understand why people have a problem with that.

Actors are workers/people who are looking to earn money. I'll be the first person to say that the top of the heap actors are vastly overpaid, but if I could get a job and be vastly overpaid for what I do, I would JUMP on that job regardless of what someone else's opinion is. I fix machines for a living. I don't want to take a huge cut in pay to do that for someplace where some other company needs me more than the one in which I work. If she can take a 'meaningful little film with a deep story' and make $1 million, or take a sci-fi throwaway and make 10 times that, why do people think she's doing something awful for taking $10 million??? She has an Oscar for best actress to her credit, and she's able to use that notoriety to make more money than most of us can ever see in our lifetime. In short she's taking care of herself and her loved ones; that's what most all of us do, for the most money we can make.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.