Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about watching DVD's on HDTV's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 50" DLP set with a good Sony progressive scan DVD connected via component video inputs. It's not an upconverting player. IMO the picture looks fantastic (viewing distance is about 10-11 feet from the set). However I am considering getting a bigger DLP set either 61" or 67". If I go up in screen size without moving my seating position will these DVD's begin to look like crap now that the picture will be bigger? It's probably a dumb question, but I was worrying about it, especially since the pictures on the demo sets in the showrooms always look great since they are running HD feeds, but never have regular DVD pictures on display for some reason.
Old 12-03-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All things being equal (i.e. exact same brand/model of set) a larger screen with the same native resolution will have larger pixels. Theoretically, the smaller set will be "better" since the pixels are smaller. Whether this causes you to perceive the picture as noticably "worse" is subjective.

You may have actually done yourself a favor by not using an upconverting dvd player. IMO, and most would agree, upconverting players are a must for getting the best picture from a set likes yours. So, if you move up to a 61" or 67" set and add an upconverting dvd player at the same time you may actually see a better picture with the larger set.