Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spiderman 1978 T.V. Show Box Set?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spiderman 1978 T.V. Show Box Set?

First time poster alert!
Call me crazy, but I would swear I remember 'hearing' about a planned box set for the live action T.V. show. Did this actually happen? I know it's schmaltzy and everything, but it's something I grew up watching and wouldn't mind having, if it was decently priced. Any comments would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 12-01-05, 01:37 PM
Cool New Member

Could it be that you're thinking of the Japanese series from around that time? That series has Spider-Man operating a giant robot called Leopardon, the first use of a piloted giant robot in what would become a sentai series mainstay. A box set of these episodes comes out in Japan (R2) at the end of the month.
Old 12-01-05, 05:39 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Darn! I didn't know Spiderman did part-time in Japan
Old 12-01-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eau
Darn! I didn't know Spiderman did part-time in Japan
http://www.bijouflix.com/bijou_new.htm#jspiderman
Old 12-02-05, 02:16 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bboisvert
DVD-R, Region 1
Old 12-02-05, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by eau
DVD-R, Region 1
Yep, looks like bootleg city to me!

I do seem to remember there being a legal (and expensive) R2 Japanese release of episodes of the Japanese Spider-Man series. Was thinking those were from the '80s, not the '70s, but no idea.

I'd buy a Nick Hammond/US Spidey set, but only if they issued the original uncut hour-long episodes (and with Deadly Dust in its original 2-part format), unlike the "movie version" releases we've had on videotape and TV in the past (even with Sci-Fi Channel showed it, they chopped the movie version of "Deadly Dust" into "episodes" rather than using the original two-part version as shown on CBS. Guess they just re-used the prints USA Network used to show rather than getting new ones).
Old 12-02-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've never seen any live footage of this, so my curiousity is piqued. If they could put that horrible animated series out, why not more? Well, okay, the animated series started out okay, but when they changed styles partway through, it got really bad.

On the site that will probably no longer be listed above me, there's something else that sounded very interesting, a TV film starring Anthony Perkins, "How Awful About Allan". I wonder what the chances of that coming out on DVD are..
Old 12-02-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Yep, looks like bootleg city to me!

I do seem to remember there being a legal (and expensive) R2 Japanese release of episodes of the Japanese Spider-Man series. Was thinking those were from the '80s, not the '70s, but no idea.
The Japanese Spidey box set was first announced last year, but has had a big delay (not sure why). It was definitely from the 70's though.

That series has Spider-Man operating a giant robot called Leopardon, the first use of a piloted giant robot in what would become a sentai series mainstay
Leopardon was the first piloted live action giant robot? Interesting, I didn't know that. He's a pretty cool looking robot.
Old 12-02-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Found my old thread in the International section. Almost a year and a half old, damn this set is late. The link I posted now says that the set is due Dec 9th.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...piderman+japan

http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/sp21/spiderman.html
Old 12-02-05, 01:01 PM

I'm hoping they release all the spiderman episodes from the Electric Company. Those ruled!!