Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Upcoming Saturday Night Live (SNL) Hosts and Musical Guests

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Upcoming Saturday Night Live (SNL) Hosts and Musical Guests

We already knew about (H) Dane Cook and (MG) James Blunt for this week Dec 3rd.

I'm excited about Shakira and Neil Young.

DECEMBER 3 finds red-hot standup comedian Dane Cook hosting the show. Cook comes to the show on the heels of the historic success of his comedy album "Retaliation" which debuted at Number 4 on the Billboard 200, making him the highest-charting comedian in 25 years. Cook has built a large and loyal following through relentless touring and through an innovative online presence through his own website and myspace.com. He was recently seen in the film "Waiting" with Ryan Reynolds and will star opposite Jessica Simpson in "Employee of the Month."

Joining Cook in making his SNL debut is acclaimed singer-songwriter James Blunt. Called "One of the Ten Artists to Watch" by Rolling Stone, Blunt comes to the show with a massive following in the UK. His record "Back to Bedlam" debuted in October 2004 and spent nine weeks at the top of the charts (bumping Coldplay's "X&Y" from the top slot). With the record 6x Platinum, he makes his U.S. crossover on the strength of his first breakout single "You're Beautiful."

Returning to Studio 8H on DECEMBER 10 is Alec Baldwin, a perennial and adept host, who makes his twelfth hosting appearance on the show, putting him in the upper echelon of frequent guest hosts. Other frequent hosts include Christopher Walken, Tom Hanks, Chevy Chase, Buck Henry, John Goodman and record-holder Steve Martin with 13 appearances. One of Hollywood's most charismatic and prolific actors ? both on stage and in film -- Baldwin earned raves for his performance in Martin Scorsese's "The Aviator" and an Academy Award? nomination for his role in "The Cooler" oppostite William H. Macy. This year, he was seen in Cameron Crowe's "Elizabethtown" and next he'll star opposite Jim Carrey and Tea Leoni in "Fun with Dick and Jane."

Joining Baldwin is global superstar Shakira. Shakira will perform from both her multi-platinum Spanish and English records "Fijacion Oral, Vol. 1" and "Oral Fixation, Vol. 2," including the first live network performance of her hit "La Tortura" with Alejandro Sanz. The records are the follow up to her 13 million selling English language debut "Laundry Service."

Finally, on DECEMBER 17, SNL welcomes back Jack Black as host. Black, known for his comedic turns in "High Fidelity," "School of Rock," "Shallow Hal," "Orange County" and his voice work in the animated hit "Shark Tale" makes the move to action blockbuster in the eagerly anticipated, star-studded epic "King Kong" from Oscar?-winning director Peter Jackson ("Lord of the Rings"). Also down the pike for Black, is his band Tenacious D's first feature film "Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny" and "Nacho Libre" from the creator of "Napoleon Dynamite."

Joining Black as musical guest is rock legend Neil Young. Young has created one of the most exciting and groundbreaking legacies in rock and roll history. A multiple Rock & Roll Hall of Fame member, Young has become known as a musical innovator and inspiration. Over the last forty years, the acclaimed singer-songwriter has often been cited as the artist that leads the way for others through an uncompromising pursuit of staying true to his music. Young's latest release "Prairie Wind" is no exception. It is receiving universal acclaim, placing it in the pantheon of such Young classics as "Harvest" and "Harvest Moon."
Old 11-30-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Alec+Shakira=
Old 11-30-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dane Cook - Should bring an energy to the show that it's been lacking. Whether he'll be good in sketch comedy is another story. That, and I'm not sure how well he will deal with being "tamed" for the show.

James Blunt - I like the music. So sue me.

Alec Baldwin - Always a good host, 'though with this batch of writers I'm not entirely certain how well things will go

Shakira - Eh.

Jack Black - Again, if nothing else, he will bring an energy to the show.

Neil Young - Damn, that's some shiny shit. (Shiny shit is good.)
Old 11-30-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Howard Stern will be doing the opening skit on the Baldwin or Black episode. He's leaning towards Black's show as he wants to hang out with Neil Young.

Since it'll be a Christmastime episode, will baldwin's "Schweddy" character have more holiday treats to go with his balls?

Last edited by GuessWho; 11-30-05 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
A Neil Young/Jack Black duet (Keep on Rockin' in the Free World), anyone?
Old 11-30-05, 11:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Baldwin
Old 11-30-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Baldwin is always a great host, I'm looking forward to that one. He's definitely welcome every season.

On the other hand, this will be the third time for Black in three seasons. That's way way way too much. I don't think he's funny or talented at all. As always, I will keep an open mind.
Old 12-01-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Howard Stern will be doing the opening skit on the Baldwin or Black episode. He's leaning towards Black's show as he wants to hang out with Neil Young.

Since it'll be a Christmastime episode, will baldwin's "Schweddy" character have more holiday treats to go with his balls?
He's not hosting?

Strange...but I guess since he's even unfunnier than the regular cast, it makes sence
Old 12-01-05, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho

He might be IN the opening skit, but he sure as hell aint' doing it. That's the time for the host to get their props, no way they are doing that to them. And it sure won't be Baldwin, who's fantastic at it.

Shakira ain't the best singer around, but she sure is friggin' hot.
Old 12-01-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shakira is a great singer and can move her hips like there's no tomorrow...
Old 12-01-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
He might be IN the opening skit, but he sure as hell aint' doing it. That's the time for the host to get their props, no way they are doing that to them. And it sure won't be Baldwin, who's fantastic at it.

Shakira ain't the best singer around, but she sure is friggin' hot.
It could be the OPENING SKIT...ie. before the Monologue and Credits, which the host is HARDLY ever in...

MATT
Old 12-01-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
It could be the OPENING SKIT...ie. before the Monologue and Credits, which the host is HARDLY ever in...

MATT
Crappants. You are right. I hope not. He is one unfunny asshole. Basically if you think SNL is unfunny, you should listen to Stern. He'll make SNL seem like Abbott and Costello.
Old 12-01-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joining Baldwin is global superstar Shakira. Shakira will perform from both her multi-platinum Spanish and English records "Fijacion Oral, Vol. 1" and "Oral Fixation, Vol. 2," including the first live network performance of her hit "La Tortura" with Alejandro Sanz. The records are the follow up to her 13 million selling English language debut "Laundry Service."
Not sure why they're saying this. She's performed La Tortura on a couple network shows already; The View, Leno, and Regis I think and several award shows. I'm kinda sick of seeing her perform this, I'd rather she did "Obtener Un Si" or "Lo Imprescindible".

This will be the first time ever that I'll watch back-to-back eps of SNL. Shakira the first week and Jack Black/Stern the following.
Old 12-01-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alec Baldwin is about the only thing that can get me to watch SNL these days.
Old 12-01-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
He's not hosting?

Strange...but I guess since he's even unfunnier than the regular cast, it makes sence

Wow. Yet another anti-Stern remark from Tommy Ceez. Who would've thunk?
Old 12-01-05, 10:56 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Maybe we'll actually get three 's in a row!?
Old 12-01-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least it isn't with Horatio Sanz. Now that is a bad image to have in ones head. Horatio Sanz w/Shakira.

BTW, who is Alejandro Sanz and will he get in the way of Shakira shaking you know what?
Old 12-01-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tcoursen
At least it isn't with Horatio Sanz. Now that is a bad image to have in ones head. Horatio Sanz w/Shakira.

BTW, who is Alejandro Sanz and will he get in the way of Shakira shaking you know what?
He's a pretty big musical star from Spain. And no, he won't get in the way. I'm not even sure he's really gonna be there. He's also done a great performance with The Corrs.
Old 12-01-05, 11:44 AM

Looking forward to Baldwin and his "Schwetty" balls
Old 12-01-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Maybe we'll actually get three 's in a row!?
High hopes for Dane Cook!

I'm predicting that his monologue will be all about how unknown he is.
Old 12-01-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
High hopes for Dane Cook!

I'm predicting that his monologue will be all about how unknown he is.
I've heard of his name but never really saw any of his material.
I saw his appearance on the Tonight Show the other night, and he seems to have a lot of energy.
Old 12-01-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
I've heard of his name but never really saw any of his material.
I saw his appearance on the Tonight Show the other night, and he seems to have a lot of energy.
He was pretty good on the Tonight Show. He ended up embarasing the hell out of Lindsay Lohan with the oral sex joke.

For those that missed it it was pretty much like this :

Cook is talking about Christmas shopping. He says ladies should have it pretty easy shopping for their husband/boyfriend. It's easy because all guys want the same thing, a blowjob. Obviously blowjob was bleeped out. The all military crowd cheers. Lohan is embarased and says something about her little sister being back stage watching. The crowd stops cheering long enough for one of the military guys in the crowd to yell "I want mine from Lindsay". Crowd cheers more. Lohan even more embarased. Pretty funny.
Old 12-01-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
shakira is a great singer and can move her hips like there's no tomorrow...
Old 12-02-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tcoursen
He was pretty good on the Tonight Show. He ended up embarasing the hell out of Lindsay Lohan with the oral sex joke.

For those that missed it it was pretty much like this :

Cook is talking about Christmas shopping. He says ladies should have it pretty easy shopping for their husband/boyfriend. It's easy because all guys want the same thing, a blowjob. Obviously blowjob was bleeped out. The all military crowd cheers. Lohan is embarased and says something about her little sister being back stage watching. The crowd stops cheering long enough for one of the military guys in the crowd to yell "I want mine from Lindsay". Crowd cheers more. Lohan even more embarased. Pretty funny.
http://danecook.com/
click on "tonight show with jay leno"
Old 12-09-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to the NY Times today, we get Steve Martin in February.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/09/ar...html?th&emc=th