Reload this Page >

Invasion 11/30/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Invasion 11/30/05

Old 11-30-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Invasion 11/30/05

Well, it looks like things are picking up hard and fast. The glowy orange thingie was finally shown in all its glory, and the suction marks are explained as well.
Old 11-30-05, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, so much happened in is one episode. Best episode of the series so far.
Old 11-30-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the last 30 minutes got a little crazy there as well. At least the "invasion" portion is kicking into gear as Russell and company are finding more evidence of the remains of the people that have substitued by the pod people.
Old 11-30-05, 10:03 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

best episode to date, i think the writers got the hint.
Old 11-30-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent episode, seems that the long slow buildup paid off. Wonder when the next one airs since Alias seems to have inherited the after Lost time slot.

Things happened pretty fast this week. Felt sorry for the deputy.
Old 11-30-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that's what I needed to see from this show. It seemed like it had just been spinning it's wheels for the last few episodes (the episode where Larkin get's "kidnapped" by the trucker sure didn't help), but now we're finally getting somewhere.

The sheriff's a bastard though, isn't he? Not only did he intentionally get that guy body-snatched, but then he convinced him to cut off his new arm too. Russel needs to beat the crap out of him at some point.
Old 11-30-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Russell could use the left arm of the deputy to whup up on Tom.
Old 11-30-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
Yeah, strong agreement, this was the best episode. I expect it will be cancelled now.
Old 11-30-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
It seemed like Tom was surprised by the deputy getting abducted. Tom and the ex-wife both seem to bounce back from knowing what is going on to total shock - they need to go in one direction or the other. This was the best episode of the series and LONG over due.
Old 12-01-05, 07:16 AM

Finally the story moves forward! Good episode.
Old 12-01-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I've only recently begun to watch this show. Might have caught the last 2-3 episodes. I get that the orange, glowy things are aliens and they are doing a pod person type of thing but I'm still confused on a few things. Maybe someone can bring me up to speed?

1. Do the aliens take over the human body or just absorb it's DNA, memories, etc. and then transform into that person?

2. The people that are taken over or absorbed have no memories of what happened and don't even know that they are an alien? Do they slowly realize this over time? Eg. the reason for the support group in the church? I assume they slowly begin to realize who/what they are since in the earlier invasions (Cuba, Brazil, etc.) the "survivors" ended up killing themselves shortly after. Maybe they couldn't deal with the realization of what happened and who they are. Also, maybe the earlier invasions were a trial run for the aliens to perfect the pod process.

3. At the end of this episode, the face recreation on the skull was the sheriff's. I didn't catch why this was a big reveal. Can someone explain? Was the sheriff the first one to be "podded"/absorbed? Is he the alien leader?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-05, 08:41 AM

I agree that finally something happened in this episode.

However, I'm so turned off by the closing scene that I'm considering bowing out of this one (and I've been watching since the beginning).

I love creepy stuff. I loved Muriel seeing her own body in the water, that would freak you the hell out. But Tom convincing Lucas/Louis or whatever his name is to cut his own arm off with a chainsaw? That's just gruesome, it's a bit too much. That's for cheesy slasher movies, not for what's supposed to be a smart show about an invading species.
Old 12-01-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by Gooter
Forgive my ignorance, but I've only recently begun to watch this show. Might have caught the last 2-3 episodes. I get that the orange, glowy things are aliens and they are doing a pod person type of thing but I'm still confused on a few things. Maybe someone can bring me up to speed?

1. Do the aliens take over the human body or just absorb it's DNA, memories, etc. and then transform into that person?

2. The people that are taken over or absorbed have no memories of what happened and don't even know that they are an alien? Do they slowly realize this over time? Eg. the reason for the support group in the church? I assume they slowly begin to realize who/what they are since in the earlier invasions (Cuba, Brazil, etc.) the "survivors" ended up killing themselves shortly after. Maybe they couldn't deal with the realization of what happened and who they are. Also, maybe the earlier invasions were a trial run for the aliens to perfect the pod process.

3. At the end of this episode, the face recreation on the skull was the sheriff's. I didn't catch why this was a big reveal. Can someone explain? Was the sheriff the first one to be "podded"/absorbed? Is he the alien leader?

Thanks!
1) From what we've been shown, it appears the orange aliens absorb and become the person, leaving the corpses laying around to be found now and then.

2) Hasn't been explained any further than what was said in this episode (first time it was really brought up)

3) The sheriff was the soul survivor of a plane crash years earlier, and it's been hinted at that that was when he became a pod person. As far as leader, he seems to be to main alien-dude that has half a clue about what's happening, but then we're confused by some of his reactions and surprise to events that imply he doesn't know what's really going on. So, who knows?

megashock5: I fully agree with your assessment of this - It struck me as way off as I was watching it and couldn't believe Louis would really go through with cutting off his own arm. On a side note, I thought they had been using a one-armed actor for this - seems like a lot of special effects just for this one plot line.

Last edited by Bronkster; 12-01-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
1) From what we've been shown, it appears the orange aliens absorb and become the person, leaving the corpses laying around to be found now and then.

2) Hasn't been explained any further than what was said in this episode (first time it was really brought up)

3) The sheriff was the soul survivor of a plane crash years earlier, and it's been hinted at that that was when he became a pod person. As far as leader, he seems to be to main alien-dude that has half a clue about what's happening, but then we're confused by some of his reactions and surprise to events that imply he doesn't know what's really going on. So, who knows?

megashock5: I fully agree with your assessment of this - It struck me as way off as I was watching it and couldn't believe Louis would really go through with cutting off his own arm. On a side note, I thought they had been using a one-armed actor for this - seems like a lot of special effects just for this one plot line.

I thought maybe Dept Lewis Sirk was played by a one armed actor with a twin that had both, but it appears not to be the case, and a huge waste of SE budget.
Old 12-03-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
as soon as officer one arm got grabbed I knew he'd be back with both arms

edit: just finished the episode
not sure I'm buying him cutting it back off with a chainsaw by himself
it's more likely he'd end up cutting into his chest too as he tried fighting to keep the saw steady with all that pain plus the fact that a chain saw is pretty unwieldy with only a hand on the trigger grip end

Last edited by mikehunt; 12-03-05 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-04-05, 09:03 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great episode. Glad I stuck with the show.
Old 12-04-05, 10:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It appears that ABC will be moving Alias to this timeslot starting next week. Has anyone heard where Invasion is going to end up?
Old 12-04-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Invasion will be back in their normal timeslot on December 21st. Alias is only running in the Invasion timeslot for 2 episodes in December.
Old 12-05-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
The chainsaw scene was a little odd... though I guess in keeping with the whole cultish aspect of the abductees. Would've been a little more believable if the preacher was the one to convince him, though. (the guy was pretty gullible... I mean, he went out to phantom jobs with the sheriff twice. But really, why would he believe that the sheriff knew God's intent?). What, and nobody saw him playing basketball with both hands outside on the street?

I'm still a little confused about how the sheriff got abducted, because I thought they showed pictures where his body had wounds (much like the guy who was almost abducted in Cuba). But clearly that's not his real body, as they found his remains. A mistake?
Old 12-05-05, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
The chainsaw scene was a little odd... though I guess in keeping with the whole cultish aspect of the abductees. Would've been a little more believable if the preacher was the one to convince him, though. (the guy was pretty gullible... I mean, he went out to phantom jobs with the sheriff twice. But really, why would he believe that the sheriff knew God's intent?). What, and nobody saw him playing basketball with both hands outside on the street?
Plus, I would think what was left of the arm would need medical attention to not become infected and would take some time to heal over - so wouldn't somebody notice that?
Old 12-05-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that's where Mariel comes into play. She'd patch the guy up, and no one would be the wiser.
Old 12-05-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
But she's not "on board" yet. She'd have more questions than anybody else! In fact, the whole incident with one-arm was because they were trying to hide stuff from her.
Old 12-05-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
I think the premise of the show is good, but the problems I have are that it's too slow. This past episode certainly helped to speed up the pace a bit. Also, how can they sustain this show for more than a season or two? People are obviously catching on to the alien invasion and it is only a matter of time before it gets figured out on a large scale.
Old 12-16-05, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just as this show was ramping up, it disappeared from the lineup.. Anyone know if/when it's coming back?
Old 12-16-05, 02:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Officer Cartman
Just as this show was ramping up, it disappeared from the lineup.. Anyone know if/when it's coming back?
I believe it's back on Jan 11, same day as Lost comes back.