Veronica Mars -- "My Mother, the Fiend" -- 11/30/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Veronica Mars -- "My Mother, the Fiend" -- 11/30/05

"My Mother, the Fiend" Episode #209.
Spoiler:
After finding a troubling report within her mother's high-school records, Veronica begins investigating Lianne's past.

Cast: Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III, Teddy Dunn, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Tessa Thompson, Alyson Hannigan, Charisma Carpenter, Kyle Gallner, Ryan Hansen , Alona Tal, Duane Daniels, Tina Majorina , Lisa Thornhill, Terrylene, James Molina, Kari Coleman, John Bennett Perry.
Director(s): Nick Marck.
Producer(s): Joel Silver, Rob Thomas.
Writer(s): Phil Klemmer, Dayna Lynne North.

Original Airdate: November 30, 2005.
Old 11-30-05, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget that you can watch the alternate ending of tonight's episode at aol.com/veronicamars

UPN will present a shocking alternate ending to the Wed. Nov. 30 episode of its critically acclaimed drama VERONICA MARS, featuring star Kristen Bell, that will be seen exclusively on AOL.com (http://www.aol.com) for one week, alongside the episode's original televised ending. Afterwards, fans will be able to vote online for which ending was their favorite, through 9:00 AM, ET on Dec. 7. The winning ending will be revealed on AOL and announced on UPN during the East Coast airing of the Dec. 7 episode of the series.

A video recap, synopsis, and the original televised ending and the alternate ending of "My Mother, The Fiend" will be accessible through AOL.com and AOL Television (http://www.aol.com/veronicamars) immediately following the East Coast telecast of VERONICA MARS, Wed., Nov. 30 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET) through Dec. 7.
Old 11-30-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alert for those in the Philadelphia area.....
check your listings!

according to tvguide.com, Veronica Mars is not on next week on November 30th on UPN 11. It is being pre-empted for basketball.

The episode is instead being aired on Sat 12/3 at 6pm and Sun 12/4 at 1 am.
Old 11-30-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And for Buffy fans,
Spoiler:
Charisma Carpenter and Alyson Hannigan have a scene together.
Old 11-30-05, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Apparently...
Spoiler:
someone gets killed!!!! My vote goes for Duncan! YES!
Old 11-30-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now that was a nice episode, not only a self-contained mystery case, but it springboarded the macro-mystery and also brought in the impact of Meg's condition.

Loved the scene between Charisma and Alyson, it looked like they were having fun with it as well. I was surprised at how much Trina was in this episode.

Looks like Mac is into the Beave. (Wait, that didn't come out right...)

How do Weevil and Logan beat the crap out of each other and not lose any teeth?
Old 11-30-05, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Anyone watch the alternate ending on AOL? If so, PLEASE Spoil it (no AOL here!)
Old 11-30-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spoiler:
Veronica is in meg's hospital room, but the monitors appear to be switched. The 180 one is on the left and the 60 on the right. Veronica hears Meg's mom and hides in the bathroom. Meg's mom walks in and turns up the music, she is talking to either the daughter or the baby, but it appears to be the baby. Meg's mom leaves. Veronica re-enters the hospital room and Meg's pulse monitor has gone to zero, and there is a pillow over her head. Veronica removes the pillow, and an attending nurse comes in.
Old 11-30-05, 10:13 PM
Suspended

Holy Crap!
Old 11-30-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Isn't only the last minute of the "alternate ending" any different? Why they had to play a quarter of the episode is beyond me. I'm curious to hear how everyone voted -- the alternate version is certainly more shocking, but I have to admit to preferring the ending that aired.
Old 12-01-05, 12:58 AM
Suspended

Wow....what an episode!
Old 12-01-05, 06:13 AM

Loved the episode. Well balanced, couple of good twists, all kinds of storyline movement.

I did think Alyson Hannigan did feel off for a lot of her scenes--some could be brushed off as Trina's dramatic streak, but her eagerness to take the tape to the tabloids seemed forced. She did, however, do an excellent job realizing she was facing her birth mother.

The Logan/Weevil team-up and Mac/Beaver pairing were both well-handled. This hopefully means we'll be seeing a lot more of Mac in the future.

I totally don't get why they did an alternate ending--I initially figured somebody was going to die, and they'd film an ending with a different character dying, but then the episode aired and they didn't kill anybody, and Meg's pregnancy appears in both endings. So they just filmed it for fun?

I wind up marginally preferring the original ending, because the very ending of the alternate ending was just too much.
Spoiler:
Mrs. Manning killing Meg I'm fine with--that's twisted, but it makes sense. It's the whole "Veronica's caught with the pillow!" thing that is just too overboard and stupid. Not only does the show not need another "Person X is falsely accused of evil!" storyline, Veronica or the nurse should have moved to give Meg CPR, or something, instead of gawking at each other.

Also, concerning both the 'alternate ending' and the preview for the next episode:
Spoiler:
Meg had better not be the person in Veronica's world who dies next week. Doing the fake-out, followed by her actually dying in the next episode would be ridiculous and kinda cheap.
Old 12-01-05, 08:37 PM

Charisma and Alyson were firing that dialogue at each other in their scene together. Better than I could have even hoped for. I dug this episode, just like I seem to every week.

I disagree with Jlbkwrm that Trina leaping to alert the tabloids was forced. That scene seemed to fit perfectly with her characterization as a D-list star that is desperately seeking any sort of media attention. But hey, we all take different things from every show, and it is certainly possible that my starry-eyed viewing of every episode leaves me a bit biased. I must say the line about "Pat" had me chuckling quite a bit. I guess "The Insider" owed Trina a favor .

I too liked the original ending better--it just seemed more "Veronica" than the one on AOL.

And if any of you live in Austin, TX and don't go to the Season One marathon at the Drafthouse, well, I'm not sure I can ever forgive you. I first saw the link on AICN and about fell over at the thought of watching a VM marathon on the big screen alongside Rob Thomas, Veronica, and Daddy Mars.
Old 12-01-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Balah
Charisma and Alyson were firing that dialogue at each other in their scene together. Better than I could have even hoped for.
I liked that they gave Jason such a good line to cap it off, too.

I disagree with Jlbkwrm that Trina leaping to alert the tabloids was forced. That scene seemed to fit perfectly with her characterization as a D-list star that is desperately seeking any sort of media attention.
I took that away from the scene, too. In fact, I think AH played her a bit too restrained if anything. Trina would jump at that chance.
Old 12-01-05, 10:47 PM

Sorry--when I said the eagerness seemed forced, I was referring to AH's portrayal, not the actual writing. Trina-the-character being eager makes sense, but I don't think AH pulled off eager Trina. The delivery itself felt forced, and a lot like watching a bad actor trying to play 'excited'. Usually I write that off as Trina being a mediocre actress who is constantly trying to show off her acting skills, but in a scene where Trina is supposed to genuinely be into it, there didn't seem to be a lot of real anticipation on Trina's part.
Old 12-01-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jlbkwrm
Sorry--when I said the eagerness seemed forced, I was referring to AH's portrayal, not the actual writing. Trina-the-character being eager makes sense, but I don't think AH pulled off eager Trina. The delivery itself felt forced, and a lot like watching a bad actor trying to play 'excited'. Usually I write that off as Trina being a mediocre actress who is constantly trying to show off her acting skills, but in a scene where Trina is supposed to genuinely be into it, there didn't seem to be a lot of real anticipation on Trina's part.
I gotcha. I think I have to agree. In fairness to AH, I wonder if a lot of the problem comes from not being in this character's head enough to really get comfortable. For scenes with CC, she can just riff on that old dynamic and get away with it. She hasn't played anybody quite like Trina before, though.

It could also just be that she has limitations as an actress and she bumped up against them here. There is no crime in that.
Old 12-02-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Charisma and Alyson scene was awesome! Felt a little like early Buffy.
Old 12-03-05, 02:00 AM

Pretty good episode. I was so pissed off at Logan for doing that to Weevil, even though I love Logan (and after what Weevil did to him last week). I can't wait to see what happens with them working together, I've always loved their interactions.

Pretty much the first thing that came to mind when Meg was being so bitchy to Veronica was the whole pregnancy thing, so it kinda sucks that they went there, but the writers seem to have handled other cliches well, so I'll give them a chance and see where they go with this.

I was a little slow on the uptake with Trina being adopted, but it's probably because I watched the episode at 10am without having slept at all, so I think I'm entitled to some confusion. Certainly didn't see that coming.
Old 12-03-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a very good episode.

I liked the scene with Trina and Kendall. I also liked the "confrontation" with Veronica and Celeste. Brings back such fond memories of S1.

I think Mac and Beaver will make a cute couple.

I can't watch the alternate ending since I'm not in the US which it sucks so thank you to deadlax for the description of the alternate scenes.

Can't wait for next week episode since there's no new episode until the new year afterward.
Old 12-04-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night I have a mini VM marathon, catching up on the last three episodes. I was on vacation for a couple of weeks, and this was by far the show that I missed the most.

I agree the ending shown on TV is better than the online one. The online one would either take the series in a total different direction, or it would be set aside too easily thus cheapening it.

I miss Wallace, but not his girlfriend.

The scenes from last week (I think) with Guttenberg and his son were very odd.

I am glad they didn't redeem the Sheriff.
Old 12-05-05, 02:57 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I agree it was a good episode. The scene with AH and CC was great. I was hoping they'd make a reference to Buffy though.

Count me in as liking the ending that aired more.
Old 12-05-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Isn't only the last minute of the "alternate ending" any different? Why they had to play a quarter of the episode is beyond me. I'm curious to hear how everyone voted -- the alternate version is certainly more shocking, but I have to admit to preferring the ending that aired.
Agreed. Couldn't they of just started the new ending from the walk down the hospital hallway and save us all about 6-7 minutes?
Old 12-05-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone listen to the online interview at UPN with RM? He clearly states that the alternate ending was never considered, and it was just shot to have an alternate ending to put up on AOL, since that is what Joel Silver wanted. The only real alternate ending they were playing with was whether or not Meg would wake up.

The first three minutes of the next episode is there, and the most notable thing we learn is:

Spoiler:
Duncan is the father of Meg's baby. He found out when he read the letter he found, which was a letter to her aunt, who she had planned to stay with during her pregnancy. Some people were thinking that Meg's father was the father, but he ain't.

My thoughts on what are going to happen next:

Spoiler:
Meg dies. The baby is born. Duncan takes the baby and dissappears, rather than leave the baby with Meg's parents, who we know are abusive (mentally anyway). This is the main character who is leaving the show, and we now know why. Next new episode has Lucy Lawless as an FBI agent, who is no doubt looking for Duncan. With Duncan gone, I expect Veronica to end up back with Logan eventually, only to have Duncan show up in the future (probably towards the end of the season) for yet another triangle.

That's my guess anyway!
Old 12-05-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was wondering, a show like this doesn't seem up Joel Silver's alley. How did get involved?