Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cary Grant Boxset from Sony 02.07.06 Holiday included full press release

MAKE A DATE WITH CARY GRANT

THIS VALENTINE’S DAY

The Cary Grant Box Set

- Includes Never-Before Released “Holiday,” Along with Classic Favorites “Only Angels Have Wings,” “The Talk of the Town,” “His Girl Friday” and “The Awful Truth” – Plus High-End Packaging and a Set of 10 Collectible Postcards with Vintage Photography -

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (November 28, 2005) – Curl up with Cary Grant for an evening of classic Hollywood romance, drama and comedy when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment delivers the exclusive Cary Grant Box Set on February 7. Commemorating one of the most beloved actors in movie history, this collectible box set packages together five of Cary Grant’s best films, including the never-before released drama Holiday and unforgettable treasures Only Angels Have Wings, The Talk of the Town, His Girl Friday and The Awful Truth. Available nearly 20 years after Grant’s death, the five-disc set will pay tribute with all-new bonus features on every disc plus collectible postcards with vintage photography will be available for a SLP of $59.95.

Holiday

Free-spirited Johnny Case (Cary Grant) is engaged to a millionaire’s daughter (Katherine Hepburn) in this delightful mix of comedy, drama and romance. But when her family wants Johnny to dive into the family business and settle down, he rebels, wishing instead to spend the early years of his life on “holiday.” With the help of friends Nick and Susan Potter, Johnny decides which is the better course, and the better mate. This never-before released film is not rated and has a run time of 97 minutes.

Only Angels Have Wings

Bonnie Lee (Jean Arthur) is a stranded showgirl who sets her sights on rugged airplane pilot Geoff Carter (Grant) in this rousing adventure of men who fly mail planes over the dangerous Andes. Things heat up when Geoff’s former girlfriend, played by the sizzling Rita Hayworth, appears with her distrusting husband. Written, directed and produced by Howard Hawks, Only Angels Have Wings has a run time of 120 minutes and is not rated.

The Talk of the Town

Charming fugitive Leopold Dilg (Grant) finds refuge in the home of childhood sweetheart Nora Shelley (Jean Arthur) after being wrongfully accused of arson, in this madcap romantic farce. Nora introduces Leopold to Supreme Court Justice nominee Michael Lightcap (Ronald Colman) and successfully convinces the stuffy lawyer that Leopold was framed. The three seek out the real culprits and the two men fall in love with Nora along the way. From Academy Award®-winning director and producer George Stevens, The Talk of the Town is not rated and has a run time of 117 minutes.

His Girl Friday

Chicago newspaper editor Walter Burns (Grant) will try every trick in the book to keep from losing his ace reporter and ex-wife, Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) to insurance salesman Bruce Baldwin (Ralph Bellamy). The comedy snowballs when Walter convinces Hildy to take one last assignment on the eve of her remarriage and she uncovers the crooked truth about a murder while interviewing a condemned man. Directed and produced by Howard Hawks, His Girl Friday is not rated and has a run time of 92 minutes.

The Awful Truth

The Awful Truth chronicles the humorous antics of a couple (Irene Dunne and Cary Grant) who can’t stand being married, but can’t stand to see the other married to anyone else. Directed and produced by Academy Award®-winner Leo McCarey, The Awful Truth is not rated and has a run time of 90 minutes.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

“The Awful Truth”
In Love with Cary Grant featurette
Inside “The Awful Truth” featurette
“Holiday”
Cary at Columbia featurette
Deleted Scenes Photographs
“Only Angels Have Wings”
“Angels: Made in Heaven” featurette
“His Girl Friday”
On Assignment: “His Girl Friday” featurette
“The Talk of the Town”
Talking About “Talk of the Town” featurette

DVD Catalog #: 13415
DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-13415-7
DVD Order Date: 1/5/06
DVD SLP: $59.95
Old 11-30-05, 08:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Oh man, this is wonderful news! Grant is arguably my favorite cinema legend. Can't wait for this
Old 11-30-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

someone said that this copy of his girl friday might be missing the special features. can someone give me a run down of whats on the current disc
Old 11-30-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
someone said that this copy of his girl friday might be missing the special features. can someone give me a run down of whats on the current disc
Audio commentary by a film historian, 4 featurettes, vintage ads, trailers, etc.

Sony has stripped discs before for recent repackagings -- the American Musical and Monty Python boxed sets being prime examples. Looks like this should be the same...
Old 11-30-05, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holiday!!! I have been waiting for this one. I did not really know anything about it until a year or so ago. It came on late at night and I just stumbled across it. I loved it and have been waiting for it ever since.
Old 11-30-05, 10:17 PM

Audio commentary by a film historian, 4 featurettes, vintage ads, trailers, etc.

Sony has stripped discs before for recent repackagings -- the American Musical and Monty Python boxed sets being prime examples. Looks like this should be the same...
I guess it is a good thing I own the current disc then.
Old 12-06-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-01-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know what the packaging is like? Hopefully keep cases in a cardboard box. Anyone?
Old 02-01-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No word if all extras are carried over?
Old 02-06-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume it will follow Sony's more recent slim line cases...

and still no word on extras....
Old 02-06-06, 11:59 PM

actually, dvdbeaver has its review up and it's a digipak with almost all the extras carried over

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm
Old 02-07-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

great to know the commentary for his girl friday is carried over. sold
Old 02-07-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by souvenir
actually, dvdbeaver has its review up and it's a digipak with almost all the extras carried over

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm

Thanks for the link... I would have prefered slimcases, but it looks like a great set.
Old 09-25-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holiday gets a stand alone release in December....

Press Release

TAKE A TRIP WITH OSCAR®-WINNERS CARY GRANT & KATHARINE HEPBURN IN THE CLASSIC FILM

HOLIDAY

- Available On DVD December 5-

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (September 25, 2006) – Spend a Saturday night with two of Hollywood’s most beloved actors, Cary Grant (The Philadelphia Story, To Catch A Thief) and Katharine Hepburn (On Golden Pond, The Lion In The Winter) in the heartwarming drama HOLIDAY, available on DVD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on December 5. Directed by George Cukor (Rich and Famous, My Fair Lady) and written by Broadway playwright Philip Barry (An Affair to Remember, Marie Antoinette), Holiday tells the story of liberal Johnny Case (Grant) who is betrothed to a millionaire's daughter, portrayed by actress Doris Nolan (Irene, Follies Girl), but eventually falls in love with his fiancé’s sister (Hepburn). This film brilliantly illustrates why Grant is considered one of the most acclaimed actors in movie history and why he and Hepburn were perfectly paired together on-screen. The HOLIDAY DVD includes a “Cary At Columbia” featurette along with an exclusive photo gallery and will be available for a SRP of $24.95.

Holiday

Grant plays free-spirited Johnny Case, a self-made man with a dream in his heart of making just enough money to retire on and then travel around the world. Johnny proposes to his girlfriend the lovely Julia (Nolan) in Lake Placid, but it isn't until he pays her a visit in New York that he discovers she's the daughter of a wealthy businessman. Although his nonconformity ruffles the feathers of Julia's stuffy father, he's soon won over the whole family--most notably, Julia's rebellious sister Linda (Hepburn), who in becoming Johnny's greatest advocate finds herself irresistibly drawn to him. With the help of his friends, Johnny makes up his mind as to which is the better course, and the better mate. This film is not rated and has a run time of 97 minutes.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

”Cary at Columbia” Featurette
Deleted Scenes Photo Montage

DVD Catalog #:11416
DVD UPC Code: 043396114166
DVD Order Date: 11/2/06
DVD SLP: $24.95
Old 01-01-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i saw the stand alone Holiday Disc at Target.