Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cable a la Carte soon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-05, 06:13 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Cable a la Carte soon?

Hopefully this will soon be a reality, though I suspect that it will not be priced reasonably. Since I have both satellite and cable currently, this would indeed be a godsend, but probably not a good thing for most.

By AMY SCHATZ in Washington and JOE FLINT in New York
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
November 29, 2005; Page A3

Federal regulators are on the verge of suggesting that cable companies could best serve consumers by letting them subscribe to individual channels instead of offering only prepackaged bundles.

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is expected to announce today at a Senate forum on indecency that the FCC will soon reissue its review of cable industry "à la carte" pricing with a wholly different conclusion. While the original report concluded that consumers would pay more for individual channels, the new one concludes they could pay less.

"This report will conclude that à la carte could be in the best interest of consumers," said an FCC official familiar with the revised report's contents. The report also finds that "themed tiers" of channels could be "economically feasible," the official said.

This is of concern for the cable industry, partly because it opens a new front in the government's efforts to impose indecency standards on cable and satellite providers. Until now, the cable industry has resisted suggestions from Mr. Martin and some lawmakers to voluntarily offer à la carte choices or set up a "family-friendly tier" of channels suitable for children. By suggesting that consumers won't necessarily pay more for individual channels, the report calls into question the cable industry's revenue model.

While the FCC can't force the cable industry to change its business model, its voice will add considerable weight to the debate and could embolden lawmakers eager to give consumers, particularly parents, more control over which television programming enters their homes

Aside from the technical challenge of offering hundreds of channels on an individual basis, cable programmers and operators say such a switch would raise costs and reduce choices for consumers. That's because, they say, pooling a group of channels into one cable package effectively lowers the cost of offering all of the channels.

Cable and satellite operators pay a monthly license fee to carry channels and pass along those costs to subscribers. The fees vary tremendously. Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN costs more than $2.50 a month per subscriber, while Time Warner Inc.'s Cartoon Network costs only about 15 cents.

Many subscribers without children might drop such offerings as Viacom Inc.'s Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. To make up that lost revenue, channels aimed at children could have higher subscriber fees. And since advertising dollars depend on potential viewership, the end result would be that many channels would have less money to spend on programming.

In large part, the high costs of sports channels have led regulators to push for à la carte. Even some cable operators have taken issue with ESPN's high price. But the fear is that if a separate tier for sports channels is created, then other channels soon could be put on tiers. Mr. Martin has in the past been an advocate of a so-called family-friendly tier that would package such fare as Nickelodeon and the Hallmark Channel.

Earlier this year, Mr. Martin expressed concerns about the earlier report and asked the FCC staff to review it. The staff concluded that the original report relied in part on faulty analysis of data, according to one FCC official.

A year ago, an initial report concluded that consumers would save money on an à la carte plan only if they subscribed to fewer than nine channels. The average cable subscriber watches 17 channels, the FCC staff found, suggesting a rate increase of anywhere from 14% to 30%.

A spokesman for the National Cable & Telecommunications Association said the cable-industry lobbying group would have no comment until it had time to review the new report.

Mr. Martin's testimony today will likely find a receptive audience on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers have expressed interest in expanding indecency regulations to cover the cable and satellite industries.

Over the summer, the cable industry floated a proposal acquiescing to the federal government's interest in imposing indecency regulations on cable and satellite programming. It was the first time the industry had opened the door to such regulation, but a caveat included in the proposal -- that the industry would agree to indecency legislation only if the law didn't take effect until after the courts ruled on its constitutionality -- bombed on Capitol Hill.

A committee aide for Senate Commerce Chairman Ted Stevens (R., Alaska) said he "doesn't feel a legislative solution predicated on a court decision is the way to go."
Old 11-29-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm may watch about 10-15% of the channels I actually get. I'd love to see this.
Old 11-29-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been wanting this for YEARS. It's good to see that it may finally be a reality.
Old 11-29-05, 07:26 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
This would be great for me, since I could only get news, movie, golf, and soccer channels. You have cable AND satellite? That's hardcore. Why?

Oh, and "In disgust!"?
Old 11-29-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The only problem I see is that some channels would hardly be subscribed to and would disapear, the reason they do bundles, or be real expensive. And I could see ESPN doing their famous pay hike even more. While I would like to pay less than I am paying now only for the channels I watch, I think this has too many possibilities to go bad.
Old 11-29-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Pharoh
Hopefully this will soon be a reality, though I suspect that it will not be priced reasonably. Since I have both satellite and cable currently, this would indeed be a godsend, but probably not a good thing for most.

Yeah, I don't think this is going to bring a massive price saving, even if you only watch 10-15 channels.
Old 11-29-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it would be great. Not only would we be able to pay only for the channels we watch, but all the channels that are crappy would have to raise their standards in order to compete (and be 'bought' by consumers). It's win-win for all IMO (except those stupid cable companies that keep raising their rates).
Old 11-29-05, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's an all day hearing on CSPAN/CSPAN radio (available via the web) for those interested. It's mainly about decency standards but the ala-carte thing has been mentioned by a couple of people already.
Old 11-29-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nemein
There's an all day hearing on CSPAN/CSPAN radio (available via the web) for those interested. It's mainly about decency standards but the ala-carte thing has been mentioned by a couple of people already.

It would be nice if I could dump 2 of the 3 CSPANs (have to keep 1 so I can record Prime Minister's Questions) and all of the crap local access channels that nobody watches.
Old 11-29-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i would love this..... i would get like 50 channels of the 200 that i dont watch now
Old 11-29-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Meanwhile, some folks are using this as an opportunity to express their outrage on the horrors of cable television.

Earlier, Sen. Mark Pryor went off on how he's "scared to death" for his kids to turn on the boob tube if he's not there to cover their eyes. A woman from the Christian Coalition just wrapped up comments about how she shudders for her country when she reflects that God loves only the Disney Channel.

And now Frank Wright, head of the National Religious Broadcasters, is running down exceptions to the First Amendment with a smile to his face. And when it comes to broadcast and media, "We're only talking about restrictions on indecency from 6AM to 10PM," he explains helpfully, adding that the rationale for the indecency standards in broadcast apply to cable and satellite.
Lovely.

Last edited by Red Dog; 11-29-05 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-29-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how this would save me any money.

There's no way in hell that all cable channels would go for the same price. The a la carte price for ESPN would NOT be the same price as, say Telemundo.

I bet for the average cable customer, they'd be paying the same price, maybe even more.
Old 11-29-05, 10:52 AM

They would want some sort of tier pricing such that more popular networks would cost more than the lesser ones. If this ever happens, the next step would be to pay for single shows, something like iTunes. It would be really awesome if you could do that.
Old 11-29-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
What's interesting is that some are supporting this to combat "indecency"... and yet the Religious channels are against this because that would cut them off from non-religious homes. This would also spell death for all the niche channels, or even channels that have a few decent shows but aren't worth the 'cost" of subscribing. That being said, I don't watch any of the dozens of Spanish stations we get here...

I'm against an iTunes-like pay per show deal because then fledgling shows would never get off the ground unless they had a huge marketing campaign before they aired.
Old 11-29-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yep. If anything the price will go up. Some of those crap channels subsidize the quality channels.
Old 11-29-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
As much as I hate constantly increasing cable bills, I think this is bad.
I could see the 'popular' channels prices either going up or down. Down, because more people are buying it, or up, because, well, they're popular, why not profit?
The 'niche' channels would need to go up, because fewer people would buy them. And while I don't 'watch' 1/2 the channels I have, sometimes it's nice to have them there so I see new things while I browse the EPG.

If sports channels raise the rates, offer with-or-without sports channel options. Sports fans would pay, nonsports fans would save.

I wouldn't mind some sort of 'buffet' thing, where for X$ a month, you can 'pick your own' channels, one from column A, two from column B, three from column C, and the higher X is, the more choices from each column you get; that way some of the niche channels still get some money [and stay on the air], and the consumer gets a little more choice.

I think this is a stupid way to fight 'indecency', while I agree with the core concept that TV has greatly coarsened in the past few decades. V-chip, attention to ratings, family involvement, consumer feedback, etc, would be better ways of dealing with indecency; i think supporting this to fight indecency is swatting a fly with a cannon or something.

Would this apply to satellite, which generally runs a similar model, or just cable? And have any of these politicos noticed that when a community is opened to competition, [that is, the legislative hurdles that the cable co's begged the govt to put in in the first place], ie, satellite, the cable company usually improves their service/pricing in response?
Old 11-29-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dtcarson
AAnd have any of these politicos noticed that when a community is opened to competition, [that is, the legislative hurdles that the cable co's begged the govt to put in in the first place], ie, satellite, the cable company usually improves their service/pricing in response?

That is clearly the best way to combat the problem but as we well know, politicians are idiots.
Old 11-29-05, 11:54 AM
Retired

It would be great, if affordable.

I really only need the networks, the sports channels and TBS and TNT (for Brave's, some college football, and NBA).

Would also create more competition and more incentive for channels to have quality programming to get people to subscribe.

Probably get edgier content (ala HBO and Showtime) as they prudes can just not subscribe to say, for example, Comedy Central if they don't want foul language in stand up comedy on their tvs.
Old 11-29-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
The wonders of competition....
I assume it's because they saw that I used to have satellite, but my recent cable promo expired. I called up and said "My bill went up, I would like to see about lowering it." Spent 20 min on the phone while "Retention" handled my call--I ended up getting everything I have now, *plus* one more premium tier of like 12 channels, for 25 bucks less than the 'new'/regular rate, and about 5 bucks cheaper than my *last* promotion. And just now I got transferred to Tech Support, who somehow gave me the HD Suite, regular 6.95/mo, for one month free. I don't hink a la carte pricing will save me any money, unless I cancel 90% of what I am currently getting.
Long live the free market!
Old 11-29-05, 12:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I wouldn't mind some sort of 'buffet' thing, where for X$ a month, you can 'pick your own' channels, one from column A, two from column B, three from column C, and the higher X is, the more choices from each column you get; that way some of the niche channels still get some money [and stay on the air], and the consumer gets a little more choice.
Yeah, I've always thougth this idea would work well. They could even have the "core" of 50 or so channels, but then let people pick the extra ones a la carte or whatever.
Old 11-29-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My telephone company is starting to offer television service through their fiber optic lines in my city. I'm interested to see how it affects the prices of competing services.
Old 11-29-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BigDan
My telephone company is starting to offer television service through their fiber optic lines in my city. I'm interested to see how it affects the prices of competing services.

I'm dying for FIOS to come to my county.
Old 11-29-05, 01:06 PM

As some have expressed, a true a la carte system would be a terrible idea because many channels would die. But, there should definitely be more choice in the combination of packages you can get. Take me, I love soccer, but the only way I can get it is to order the top of the line package. If that was the only real reason I wanted cable, it is ridiculous. They should no doubt offer several lower and higher priced packages with shuffled popular and less-popular channels. Then the super popular channels you can add as an a la carte selection.
Old 11-29-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i just think that there are so many channels that arent popular... the ala carte would work perfect for me
Old 11-29-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
they'll likely charge so much per channel to make it cheaper the way it is now

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.