Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen "Pulse" yet (original, or hell the remake)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i saw "Saw 2" there was a trailer for a horror movie called "Pulse" with Kristen Bell, and I thought it looked pretty good, then about a day ago, i read a review in rolling stone for a japanese movie with the same title and plot. Is the original any good to begin with, and has anyone seen a test screen version of the remake (the remake looks like an R with a possible shower/bathtub scene with Bell but a few trims here and there, it could be PG-13 based on the trailer)
Old 11-25-05, 12:58 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I loved the original. I had no idea a remake was coming out.
Old 11-25-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, here's a synopsis/cast of the remake
Release Date: March 3, 2006
Studio: Dimension Films
Director: Jim Sonzero
Screenwriter: Ray Wright
Starring: Kristen Bell (veronica mars), Christina Milian(singer "dip it low"), Ian Somerhalder (Boone of "Lost"), Steve Talley, Rick Gonzalez, Samm Levine, Jonathan Tucker
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: Not Available
Review: Not Available
DVD Review: Not Available
DVD: Not Available
Movie Poster: Not Available
Production Stills: Not Available
Plot Summary: Based on the Japanese horror movie "Kairo," "Pulse" centers on a group of college students who discover that a computer hacker friend of theirs unwittingly pirated a strange wireless signal that opened a doorway for a terrifying evil to cross over into the world. As it spreads, everyone in its path is consumed, and the students must race to find a way to stop it.
the trailer
http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=584826
Old 11-26-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The original is a chilling experience that slowly moves towards a very mind-blowing ending - I wish they'd leave the Asian horror classics be. The only ones they seem to be re-making are the ones that were done perfectly the first time.
Old 11-26-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
The original is great. Kurosawa's (Kiyoshi) best film after Cure. And I predict that remake willl suck...
Old 11-26-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The original is currently showing in select cities across the US right now.

Check the main site http://www.pulsefilm.com/ to see if it hits your city.
Old 09-20-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Has anyone seen "Pulse" yet (original, or hell the remake)

After many years I rewatched the original the other day and have come to realize that this is one the best horror films of the past 20 years if not of all time. A really creepy, unnerving and intelligent film. Kudos to the great Kiyoshi Kurosawa for giving us another horror masterpiece. If you like your horror slow moving & atmospheric then his horror films are worth seeking out especially Cure the others are Charisma, Seance & Retribution.
Old 09-20-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the work of KK. Kairo is sublime. It envelops the viewer in a cocoon of dread from the first frame.
Old 09-20-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

A scary Japanese horror flick? Really? I guess I'll have to track this anomaly down.
Old 09-20-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Kairo / Pulse works because it isn't a jump scare movie, it conveys dread and inevitability instead.
Old 09-20-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Kairo / Pulse works because it isn't a jump scare movie, it conveys dread and inevitability instead.
Like I said, I'll check it out. But most J-horror falls flat for me.
Old 09-20-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Oh I was just responding in general. The movie isn't for everybody, most people I've told about it found it confusing and boring. Here's the trailer, though it honestly mis-represents the movie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hLstI7_W9C0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm still trying to figure out how Troma never remade Exte:

Last edited by RichC2; 09-20-13 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree with the love for this movie. This is a rare horror movie that is both creepy and actually has something to say about society's increasing dependence on technology. I can't recall a film that immerses you so deeply in a sense of isolation and loneliness. The music and atmosphere are wonderful, shots of empty trains and arcades will haunt you. I could watch this movie over and over again because it is so absorbing.

Spoiler:
I love how the main character is asking her boss if she can go check on her friend and he suddenly gets philosophical about friendship:

"Words said in friendship with the best intentions always wind up hurting your friends very deeply. And then you end up getting hurt. Is friendship always that way? If that's so, what's left?"
Old 09-20-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I agree with the love for this movie. This is a rare horror movie that is both creepy and actually has something to say about society's increasing dependence on technology. I can't recall a film that immerses you so deeply in a sense of isolation and loneliness. The music and atmosphere are wonderful, shots of empty trains and arcades will haunt you. I could watch this movie over and over again because it is so absorbing.

Spoiler:
I love how the main character is asking her boss if she can go check on her friend and he suddenly gets philosophical about friendship:

"Words said in friendship with the best intentions always wind up hurting your friends very deeply. And then you end up getting hurt. Is friendship always that way? If that's so, what's left?"
I agree with everything you have said. This film also features some of the most creepy looking ghosts I have ever seen. Now where is the Blu-Ray.

Also Criterion should do what they did with Pale Flower to Cure and upgrade it from Home Vision to a loaded Criterion Blu-Ray, or even a box set with Charisma & Seance.
Old 09-20-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Isn't the remake the movie they were making fun of in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" when they talked about her doing a terrible "killer cell phone" movie?
Old 09-20-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I agree with everything you have said. This film also features some of the most creepy looking ghosts I have ever seen. Now where is the Blu-Ray.
Spoiler:
The scene where the one ghost ran slowly down the hallway freaked me out so much. I don't know what it was, it was as if the slow but inevitable approach was much scarier than a monster rushing towards you. Then the sort of dip the ghost did instantly made it seem inhuman. I also love how the music during scenes like this sounded like ghostly voices filtered through an internet modem.

edit: I also want to add the scene where the ambient noise drops out and a ghost whispers "help me." It's so creepy, especially if you are watching with headphones. I have surround sound so that whisper came from behind me and chilled me to the bone.

Originally Posted by inri222
Also Criterion should do what they did with Pale Flower to Cure and upgrade it from Home Vision to a loaded Criterion Blu-Ray, or even a box set with Charisma & Seance.
I can't afford to buy Criterion BluRays very often, but I would make these a priority during the November 50% off sale. I really love these films but the old DVDs don't really do them justice.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 09-20-13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Never saw the remake and I never will. Especially with a comparison like this :

http://www.austinchronicle.com/calen...-08-18/393405/

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's 2001 horror film, Kairo, is an unnerving riff on modern Japan's increasingly anxious relationship with technology and the shades of its past. It's also stark, minimalist, and off-putting if you're not in the right mood when you view it. Bizarre incidents occur without preface or explanation, and it's only after the film is over that you find yourself returning to Kurosawa's bloodlessly neutered world: Kairo gnaws at your thoughts for what might seem like ages afterward. It's like David Lynch directed by Ozu, and it has far more staying power than you might be comfortable with. Pulse, the American remake of Kurosawa's genius is anything but: It's the McDonald's Unhappy Meal to the original's elegantly obtuse sashimi o' sorrow..........................

Pulse tries to match the peripheral creepiness of Kairo and comes up wanting. It's a curiously dull Americanization of one of the finest examples of subtle, moody J-horror out there, and it's likely to fade from memory in the time it takes to read this review – unlike Kairo, which will trouble your thoughts for years to come.
Old 09-20-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-n...on-pulse,2540/
Old 09-20-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Nice article but as a warning to others it contains spoilers and the videoclip is one of the scariest scenes in the film.
So if you have not seen it are are planning to, don't watch the clip.
Old 09-20-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Eight-year thread bump and there are already twice as many new posts as those in the original thread. Sometimes thread bumps have a reason. A chord has definitely been struck.

I have PULSE in my DVD collection but haven't watched it yet. These posts make me want to rectify that very soon.
Old 09-20-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The original is one of the best horror movies. The remake is one of the worst.
Old 09-20-13, 01:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kairo is an exceptional film. It is both chilling but also deeply thought provoking. Possibly Kiyoshi Kurosawa's best work.
Old 09-21-13, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw this a while ago, don't remember much about it, was way too young to understand it. Netflix is streaming it, I should revisit it.
Old 09-21-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I saw this a while ago, don't remember much about it, was way too young to understand it . Netflix is streaming it, I should revisit it.
wait, how old is the original again?
Old 09-21-13, 01:03 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2003, I think?

No, 2001.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.