Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance at Best Buy?!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-05, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking online to see if this was going to be available, and not even being able to find it in the system, I was shocked to find it on the shelves at my local Best Buy. Unfortunately, the price tag was $26.99, factoring in the wonderful Best Buy Exclusive of the disc packaged with Oldboy on PSP UMD. I just have to say, this is the worst two-pack I have ever seen. Those that have DVD players don't neccesarily have PSPs, and I, and I'm assuming many others, would be unwilling to pay extra for a disc for something extra they have no use for.
Old 11-22-05, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UMDs are starting to become annoying.
Old 11-24-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by steelpotato
UMDs are starting to become annoying.
Agreed.

I just picked up Mr. Vengance at DDD.
Old 11-24-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting marketing choice.

As if Best Buy needs to justify a 27 price tag when a good percentage of their titles are already going between 23 - 25 anyway.

Though, I don't think this particular DVD (SfMV) is going to promote a vast multitude of people running out to buy PSPs in order to play their new shiny, albeit smaller, version of the film.
Old 11-24-05, 01:56 PM

It's $26.99 Cdn at Futureshop and Bestbuy in Canada (without the UMD pack-on), but according to both their store stock indicators, it looks like this is only available online. I checked at a smaller B&M which regularly stocks more of the non-mainstream releases, and also struck out there.

I wonder if this is another Oldboy situation, where the product will not actually show up in Canada until months after it was released in the States?
Old 11-24-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
This wasn't even available at my Best Buy. I found my copy at Newbury Comics on sale for $16.99. It came with a free Tartan Asia Extreme "preview" disc.
Old 11-24-05, 03:46 PM

FYI, Borders has it on sale for $19.99 (regular price $24.99).
Old 11-24-05, 05:32 PM

I just don't understand how UMD seems to be doing so well, especially since the only way to use them is the PSP. Maybe if there was another device they could be used with.

I would take it to the manager and see if they could do something about it, maybe break up the combo.
Old 12-13-05, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Toben
It's $26.99 Cdn at Futureshop and Bestbuy in Canada (without the UMD pack-on), but according to both their store stock indicators, it looks like this is only available online. I checked at a smaller B&M which regularly stocks more of the non-mainstream releases, and also struck out there.

I wonder if this is another Oldboy situation, where the product will not actually show up in Canada until months after it was released in the States?
SfMV isn't scheduled for a Canadian release until December 20th by Alliance Atlantis.
Old 12-13-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked this up at CC a few weeks ago for either 12.99 or 13.99
Old 12-13-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a version at Best Buy with the movie only as well. Maybe you just didn't look hard enough.

= J
Old 12-13-05, 06:08 PM

My store stocked both the SfMV/OB(umd) two pack and a few of the SfMV by itself releases.
Old 12-13-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Best Buy doesn't have Sympathy OR Oldboy (in any form). So I guess I'll have to get those movies online sometime.
Old 12-13-05, 07:55 PM

Saw Sympathy without the UMD finally pop up on the new release table this morning for $17.99.
Old 12-14-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
This wasn't even available at my Best Buy. I found my copy at Newbury Comics on sale for $16.99. It came with a free Tartan Asia Extreme "preview" disc.
Is that preview disc any good? Does it have full length trailers, or is it just marketing crap?
Old 12-14-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by xfilekr
I picked this up at CC a few weeks ago for either 12.99 or 13.99
I was about to ask what Circuit City's prices were, since they had Oldboy for $12.99 during release week. Good to know.

-JP
Old 12-14-05, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy
Is that preview disc any good? Does it have full length trailers, or is it just marketing crap?
It's got a bunch of 2-3 minute clips from a lot of the Tartan Asia Extreme Releases. They aren't trailers, though. It has multiple clips from some of the movies. Here's the ones I remember:

Oldboy
Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
A Tale of Two Sisters
Spider Forest
Koma
Phone
A Snake of June
Tetsuo
Memento Mori
Doppelganger

There might be more than those, but those are the ones I remember seeing clips from off the top of my head.
Old 12-15-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked one up at Circuit City for $12.99 last night. I wonder what kind of deal Tartan has with CC for every single title to be $12.99 or $14.99? I really wish Tartan ported over all their extras from the 2 disc CE of Oldboy in the UK. I'd definitely buy that for $12.99, but since I already have the Korean 2 disc, I don't see the single Tartan disc a necessary purchase (although I'm sure the subtitles would be better).

As for that Asia Extreme sampler disc, it runs 35 minutes long and as stated above by Tenacious D, it contains short snippets from movies on their label. Funny thing is that you can chose between Dolby 5.1 or DTS. The sound really seems more like all-channel stereo, though. And the picture quality is surprisingly pretty horrible.