Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs that weren't glued properly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDs that weren't glued properly?

OK, so DVDs are just 2 layers of plastic glued together.

Have you ever looked at the bottom side of a DVD and held it up to the light at a certain angle? As I've inspected my DVDs for scratches, I've noticed that a few of them (from my X-Files sets) show these strange curves where it seems like on one side of the curve the disc is one color, and on the other side of the curve it's a slightly different color. Kinda hard to explain, but basically I believe that the glue wasn't spread evenly between the 2 layers of plastic, which is why I see the weird curves. Has anyone seen this or know what I'm talking about?

The discs seem to play OK (although I've only watched a few minutes of most of my discs), but I wonder if these discs won't last as long as properly glued ones?
Old 11-21-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you sure it wasn't the moire effects from the groove/pit of the disc?
Old 11-21-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upon inspecting some of my discs, I have seen several different bizarre patterns of stuff on mine including what you mentioned. The latest was on disc 2 of Constantine. Towards the outer edge, there are a string of small circles. Never seen this before. as long as it plays, I'm alright with it. Scratches piss me off more.
Old 11-21-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Upon inspecting some of my discs, I have seen several different bizarre patterns of stuff on mine including what you mentioned. The latest was on disc 2 of Constantine. Towards the outer edge, there are a string of small circles. Never seen this before. as long as it plays, I'm alright with it. Scratches piss me off more.
Yep, have to say i'm pretty 'anal' when it comes to inspecting for scratches etc.

Have to admit i've seen all number of bizzare patterns as well, ranging from the small circles you mention to what looks like impressed 'grid' patterns and skeletal leaf structures on the discs playing surface...very strange, but all completely playable!
Old 11-21-05, 11:24 AM
Cool New Member

Those circles are probably marks left by the machine that lifts the dvd off the spindles during production, they are made of rubber, that grabs hold of the disks, residue was probably left behind. I have tons of DVDs like this although the little circles are on the signal side, to the label or under the plastic. I usually can wipe them off.
Old 11-21-05, 01:56 PM

Could alsobe the "coffe stain effect" - irregular darker brownish or light patches caused by uneven application of the lacquer layer.
Old 11-21-05, 02:20 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
Could alsobe the "coffe stain effect" - irregular darker brownish or light patches caused by uneven application of the lacquer layer.
Which sounds scary but isn't, right?
Old 11-21-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can testify to this, one day I was cleaning a dvd of mine with a soft cloth holding it gently with 2 fingers and than it just snapped apart and completely broke, unrepairable.

I was like WTF?
Old 11-21-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Use smaller fingers.

I have a DVD-A that has a visible weirdness like mentioned in the first post, and a dropout error during playback. I'm getting it exchanged. Probably a manufacturing defect.