Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Desperate Housewives 11/20/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Desperate Housewives 11/20/05

So Gaby did lose the baby after her tumble from the stairs (you had to wonder what went through her mind as the loosed Caleb Applewhite was captured). Danny Trejo's appearance always gives off a scary vibe, that's his schtick, but to have him give Gaby a mechanism to come to grips with the loss of her baby was somewhat interesting.

Lynnette's subplot ended up funny, with the old lady tasering the hell out of the guy that Lynnette had impersonating a child kidnapper.

Susan's subplot was sad as her mother breaks down and comes clean with Susan's conception, and reveals who her real father is.

Finally Bree sees what kind of psycho George is, even though she turned away a former girlfriend of George's, and pressed enough of George's buttons (not wearing the engagment ring in public) to have him go nutty with jealousy and his sense of betrothed entitlement.
Old 11-20-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually felt slightly sorry for George. Not because he's a total fucking psychopath but, when all is said and done, Bree's stringing him along.
Old 11-21-05, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
I thought this episode was so-so. I was kinda disappointed that they went with the cliché of having Gabby miscarry. I thought it added an interesting dynamic to her arc this season.

With the new actor for Caleb, I had visions of the SNL sketch the other month where Finesse Mitchell as a black soldier in Iraq is reading the scripted answer to Pres. Bush's question, but decides to go off-script. The satellite feed is cut, and when it comes back Finesse has been replaced by Keenan Thompson, who is supposed to be the same black guy.

I had a good chuckle with the previews for next week where
Spoiler:
Bree gets to put her gun skills to use against George's speaker

Last edited by TheBang; 11-21-05 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I don't think Bree was necessarily stringing George along. It has not been long at all since Rex died, who she always has said was her true love. The fact that she would agree to get engaged at all was a big step for her. She has been too used to wearing Rex's wedding ring, I can see where she wouldn't be ready to wear the engagement. So, I don't feel sorry for George at all.

I did like Gabby's little arc for this ep, but I was a little disappointed she miscarried. She has been one of the few characters this season to show some real growth; it almost was feeling like they were backtracking with that a little bit.

Lynette was very funny (especially the neighbor with the Taser), and Susan didn't get on my nerves like she often can. I prefer when Susan is more subtle, not flailing around or acting crazy or crying hysterically. And I thought Hatcher did a good job at not turning Susan into a charicature this ep.

Overall, I was actually fairly pleased with this one. I thought it was one of the better eps this season. Everything progressed a little bit, and the Applewhite story didn't overwhelm the episode.
Old 11-21-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Skipped this one to watch Rome, but recorded it and will watch it tonight. Doesn't sound like much happened.

So Gaby lost the kid, guess that kind of means they're ditching the whole "who's the daddy" storyline.
Old 11-21-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Better than previous episodes, but not by much. I finally hope that Bree starts adding up all the facts and pushes George to go really nuts, then maybe this ridiculous subplot can end. Of course by then, her son should be back home to torment his dear sweet mother.

Hope crazy, creepy, sensitive prison guy hangs around. His interaction with Gabby was funny. Maybe now she can find time to sit with her friends.

Really enjoyed seeing the employee/molester get Tasered.

Wonder when the Mike, Zach Paul storyline will pick up. I would much rather see that as opposed to Susan's quest for her father or the Applewhite's.

Glad next week will be new.
Old 11-21-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
the taser scene was great, especially with the camera angles used when they exchanged "hellos"
Old 11-21-05, 10:11 AM

Speculation:

Spoiler:
Does anyone else think that the 'normal' Applewhite kid is the murderer?
Old 11-21-05, 10:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good episode, but I thought it was odd they didn't mention the missing/dead therapist. I know it's probably only been a few days, but considering what Bree was going through with George I would've figured she'd have tried to track her therapist down and found out he was missing or something.
Old 11-21-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is funny that George s going all "Kimberly" on Marcia Cross. His character is reminding me of hers on Melrose Place. They need to have him rip off his wig.

I was also with the miscarriage, and the way Gaby suddenly went back to not caring, but I guess that was just an act to cover her pain. Found it odd that Mrs. Applewhite said that Caleb didn't hurt Mrs. Solis. No he just caused her to lose her baby.
Old 11-21-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
Speculation:

Spoiler:
I do. I mentioned that in one of these threads a couple of weeks ago.

I really enjoyed this episode. Best one this season, IMO.

Rob
Old 11-21-05, 11:32 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Todd B., please put comments about next week's ep in spoiler tags. Thanks!

Nice ep. I thought all the storylines were good this week. I was really disappointed that they had Gabby lose the baby. Lame! Ah well, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. It did set up for a nice cameo by Danny Trejo.

next week:
Spoiler:

YES! Bree finally pulls out a gun to deal with George. I have been waiting SO long to see that. Can't wait.
Old 11-21-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I thought this episode was so-so. I was kinda disappointed that they went with the cliché of having Gabby miscarry. I thought it added an
Talk about an easy way out. What happened to who's the father storyline?
I thought the show was pretty mundane myself.
I dislike Susan more and more each week. She's so needy.

I expected a bit more from Bree when the ex fiance came to see her. So suddenly she is stupid?

Ha haaa haaa. The neighbor tazered the guy from Lynettes office. Come on!!
Sad to see this show gone down hill so much in just a year. Reminds me of O.C's decent.
Old 11-21-05, 01:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked it

Bob Newhart was the only bright spot of the Susan story "You're not still seeing him are you"
Old 11-21-05, 03:39 PM

I feel like this whole season has been a letdown, but in comparison to the other S2 episodes, I think last night's was probably the strongest thus far...

And the neighbor using the tazer had me cracking up, too!
Old 11-21-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read that the actor who played Caleb claims he was fired because they were "taking a different direction with the season," as opposed to him using drugs on the set. While I am sure it's just him trying to look better, I actually hope there is some truth to that statement.

While others might see it as cheesy, I wouldn't mind for something to happen where :
Spoiler:
a lot of this season winds up being a dream of someone and it returns us to the point right before Rex died last season. Maybe Bree is dreaming everything and it tips her off to investigate Rex's medicine and stop George.
I know. It's a cop-out, but can you think of a better solution?
Old 11-21-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xander
Todd B., please put comments about next week's ep in spoiler tags. Thanks!
Sorry, my bad. I did, but I used <spoiler> instead of []. I'm too used to HTML tags. And then I didn't notice that it hadn't worked after posting it.
Old 11-21-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if Gaby's miscarriage is a result of Jesse Metcalfe's departure from the show. Maybe they felt the "who's the father" storyline had lost some of the suspense, now that only one of the two contenders is still on the show.

Personally, I'm okay with the miscarriage, since Gaby only got pregnant in the first place after Carlos tampered with her birth control. Maybe this whole experience will make her realize that she really wants a child after all, and she and Carlos will try again. Or maybe not, we'll have to wait and see.

Rob
Old 11-21-05, 05:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I read that the actor who played Caleb claims he was fired because they were "taking a different direction with the season," as opposed to him using drugs on the set. While I am sure it's just him trying to look better, I actually hope there is some truth to that statement.
Didn't he expose himself to members of the crew? I hadn't heard about drug use.

the fired actor plays a much better mentally handicapped guy than the new actor.
Old 11-21-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got to catch the ep. on my DVR. It was okay, and a step in the right direction. I wish they would settle on what they want to do with George, as this week he was a psycho and next week it looks like he's just a mischief maker.
Spoiler:
The bit of him singing and Bree getting the gun had me laughing. But it doesn't make much sense for him to be goofy.

I wonder what next week's big surprise will be? I remember last year at this exact time they teased us with the death of a housewife, only to have it be Ms. Huber.
Old 11-21-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
I wonder if Gaby's miscarriage is a result of Jesse Metcalfe's departure from the show. Maybe they felt the "who's the father" storyline had lost some of the suspense, now that only one of the two contenders is still on the show.

Personally, I'm okay with the miscarriage, since Gaby only got pregnant in the first place after Carlos tampered with her birth control. Maybe this whole experience will make her realize that she really wants a child after all, and she and Carlos will try again. Or maybe not, we'll have to wait and see.

Rob
I didn't realize Metcalfe left the show. Did he leave for any particular reason or opportunity?

Oh, and someone else reminded me what I forgot to put in my last post: Bob Newhart ruled in this ep. He didn't have very much dialogue, but almost every time he opened his mouth he had me laughing. He took a very ordinary, predictable line like "Yes, I know what I'm getting myself into" and delivered it in such a deadpan way, like only Newhart can, that it made me laugh.
Old 11-21-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
Oh, and someone else reminded me what I forgot to put in my last post: Bob Newhart ruled in this ep. He didn't have very much dialogue, but almost every time he opened his mouth he had me laughing. He took a very ordinary, predictable line like "Yes, I know what I'm getting myself into" and delivered it in such a deadpan way, like only Newhart can, that it made me laugh.
Bob Newhart

The man still has it and was the highlight of this episode. (He even makes putting up with Susan's mom OK)
Old 11-21-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It was nice the see the old lady coming to the kids' rescue although she's a grouch. She was also pretty quick to offer the taser when Mike caught Caleb.

Bob Newhart is the only interesting part of the current Susan plotline.
Old 11-21-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
Speculation:

Spoiler:
While it's possible I guess, I don't see it happening.

And it is good to see Newhart again, great actor. Unlike that guy who played the accountant (he was good in The Princess Bride, but I find him very irritating in everything else I see him in).
Old 11-22-05, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Heat
Unlike that guy who played the accountant (he was good in The Princess Bride, but I find him very irritating in everything else I see him in).
Hey, let's speak a little more respectfully of the dead...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.