Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Jackson's King Kong...anyone played it yet?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 03:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

I was wondeing if anyone has played it for any system. I am particularly interested in the GC version.
Some have it out, but I don't think it is full scale yet.

I was wondering about the controls and length specifically.

Also, what is the FPS part like? Is it like other FPS like Call of Duty or something like that or more like Resident Evil 4? I just didn't quite understand that aspect and usually steer clear of FPS, except RE 4 (if that is even considered one or not).
Old 11-20-05, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a demo for the PC, but unfortunately it did not work on my PC. I don't know much about the FPS portions, but it looks like a typical Doom-style FPS. The Kong portions look to be better in my opinion. They look like Prince of Persia-style platforming mixed with fighting dinosaurs.
Old 11-20-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this pre-ordered from gamerush, looked fun and since the same team that did BG&E is doing this game, I am hoping this game turns out well.
Old 11-20-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played the PS2 demo on the December issue of OPM. Was pretty underwhelming. The FPS sequence was better than the Kong section IMO. The lack of a HUD is novel but I don't like the lack of a health bar. Sometimes the T-rex would kill me with 3 bites and sometimes with 1! The way it speaks out the ammo remaining is a cool idea too. Graphics were pretty good all told. Maybe the demo build was still an alpha version since the review websites have all been saying this is pretty good.
Old 11-21-05, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played the 360 demo and thought it looked nice. I may rent it or wait for X-mas. It seems like it could be fun, but rather short from reviews I read.
Old 12-18-05, 12:48 PM

Rent or Buy?

Now, that more have played, bought, rented, etc...

Is this worthy of purchase or merely a rental and why?
Old 12-18-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Is this worthy of purchase or merely a rental and why?
I'd say "rental" because the game's really short, and the first half or so is repetitive and tedious to the point that the game seems much longer than the 6 hours it takes to finish. I wrote a review, if you'd like a longer answer to "why?"
Old 12-19-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the game looked pretty, but wasn't that great. I rented it for 360 and I found it to be OK. It seemed fun at first, then it got a bit old. I didn't finish it, but I was taking my time looking around.
Old 12-19-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...and the first half or so is repetitive and tedious to the point that the game seems much longer than the 6 hours it takes to finish....
Wow, it really WAS inspired by the movie! Anyway, it you were on the fence,it's a pretty good deal at BB this week : $29.99 ($19.99 a/c) and includes a free movie ticket. At that price, purchase is a reasonable alternative.
Old 12-19-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've played the PC demo and it looks freaking awesome. i've got a wired 360 control hooked into my compy that i was using and this game is fun.
Old 12-19-05, 10:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought this for Xbox, and I enjoyed it. I'm still playing through it. I didn't find it tedious at all. Perhaps not quite as inventive as all the video game magazines made it out to be, but still very good.
Old 12-19-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, it really WAS inspired by the movie! Anyway, it you were on the fence,it's a pretty good deal at BB this week : $29.99 ($19.99 a/c) and includes a free movie ticket. At that price, purchase is a reasonable alternative.
Wait, is the movie ticket in the game? I picked up the GCN version at BB this weekend for $20 after the coupon, and wasn't going to open/play it til around Christmas, but I will probably be seeing the movie around then too.
Old 12-19-05, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

That might be a Blockbuster deal only. My copy didn't have a free ticket (but luckily The Frighteners DVD has a ticket, so I'll be using that tomorrow).
Old 12-19-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it at K-Mart last night for $29.99, and I picked it up. I started playing it, and after just a few hours in and before I know it, I'm already at the very end of the game. I'll be sticking it on eBay pretty soon, because it's not even worth $29.99 to me since it's so insanely short.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it almost feels more like a very long demo of a much longer game to me. If you rent games, then it is something that could be considered a perfect rental, but even then you'll have it beat long before the week is up if you just sit down and play it for a little while.

Like I said, it is a very solid game, with a few of my "favorite moments in video games" tossed in along the way, but it's not worth a full price buy, even if it's on sale.
Old 12-19-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I just beat the game...I was even closer to the end of it than I thought I was. The last stage is one of the biggest letdowns in video games of all time, when thinking of what it could have been. You play all of that time on the island, then do almost nothing at all in New York. I've heard people say you were in the city for 20-30 minutes, but it wasn't even that much. More like 5-10, at least for me.

I enjoyed every second of the game, it's just that there should have been so much more to it. A few of the stages aren't but a few minutes long also. Unless I'm mistaken, there are a few, even near the end, where you don't really do anything other than walk from one side of an area to the other.

I do reccomend it, but not as a buy of any kind (unless you can buy it cheap, like I did, and put it on eBay or something to make all of your money back, and possibly a few bucks even more). If you don't want to go through all of that, it is an absolute perfect rental, and I highly recommend that all of you at least do that.

I just used the cheat codes to unlock everything, so that I can play the alternate ending to the game. All of you should check that out also, since it's very, very cool.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 12-19-05 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-19-05, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin

I just used the cheat codes to unlock everything, so that I can play the alternate ending to the game. All of you should check that out also, since it's very, very cool.
i didn't hear any site mention an alt. ending. is that for a specific console or all? and the only way to unlock is with a cheat code?
Old 12-19-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

i didn't hear any site mention an alt. ending. is that for a specific console or all? and the only way to unlock is with a cheat code?
You have to have 250,000 points and have beaten the game. To get that many points, I guess you have to replay some of the levels -- I know I didn't come anywhere remotely close to that when I beat it.
Old 12-19-05, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Where does it say how many points you've accrued?
Old 12-19-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It'll tell you if you look under the extras menu.
Old 12-19-05, 08:41 PM
Li

I was considering getting this for a friend since it's $20 a/c at Best Buy. How many hour would you say it takes to actually beat the game?
Old 12-19-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't want to have to go through and get all of the points needed, try this:

To get the King Kong Cheat Menu:

-At the main menu (game-option-bonus) hold L1 + R1 then press: down-circle-up-square-down-down-up-up then let go of L1 and R1. At the main menu select cheat. Type in the codes below to activate the codes:

KKst0ry All Levels
KK 999 mun Ammo 999
KKmuseum Bonus Complete (This is the one that actually unlockes the alternate ending I believe)
8wonder God Mode
KKcapone Have Machine Gun
KKtigun Have revolver
KKsh0tgun Have Shotgun
KKsn1per Have Sniper Rifle
lance 1nf Infinite Spears
GrosBras One Hit Kills

Credit: GameFAQs (tarann)

Originally Posted by Li
I was considering getting this for a friend since it's $20 a/c at Best Buy. How many hour would you say it takes to actually beat the game?
I believe it took me a little under five hours of playing, and that's with dying a few times (although that didn't happen much either). Truth be told, it's not really a hard game at all. It's more about the experience of going through the entire game.

It's actually unlike most other video games out there, just read Adam's review. I actually like this look and feel of a video game, because it pulls you in that much more. If this is where more and more games are heading, then you can count me in for sure.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 12-19-05 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-19-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
It's actually unlike most other video games out there, just read Adam's review. I actually like this look and feel of a video game, because it pulls you in that much more. If this is where more and more games are heading, then you can count me in for sure.
There was a lot I liked about it, and I was deeply impressed by how cinematic the whole experience was. On the other hand, there were so many levels that were virtually indistinguishable from one another -- shoot millipedes, find fire, burn brush, grab lever, open door, shoot more millipedes, then move onto the next level where you do the same exact things in nearly the same exact way, with little changing other than the locations of those things -- that I was desperate for the game to end sooner than it did. I really started enjoying it from around the halfway point on, but it seemed like so much emphasis was placed on the scripting and graphics that there wasn't enough manpower to come up with different concepts for levels. I too frequently felt like I was being forced to go in a prespecified path in a prespecified way to do prespecified things in a prespecified order -- it's kind of mechanical. Maybe Call of Duty 2 spoiled me. I can see why some people might find the lack of ammunition appealing, but I thought it was pretty thoroughly annoying, at least at times. The part with the crocs in the water where I only had a few shots...urgh. Also, if Jack is attacked, there's little chance of not dying since the game so severely obscures the view of everything around you. The flakiness in the scripting really is unacceptable for a high profile $60 game too.

I know you can boil the gameplay of almost any game down to a few words like that, but I just felt like I was frequently playing the same level over and over, no matter how pretty or well-choreographed it may have been. I really think this would've been a must-buy, spectacular game if Ubisoft had more time to let it bake in the oven. That doesn't seem to be a widely held opinion, though, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 12-19-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll go ahead and list what I didn't like about the game also, but it's not really all that much (although what I didn't like, it was pretty important):

-Like I have said over and over, it's far too short.

-You really did do the exact same thing in many of the levels. There were times where I wanted to quit playing because I had to find yet another lever.

-The entire fire thing, while fine for one or two tings, was just way overdone since you had to do it so much.

-At times, when you get hurt or whatever, it gets to the point where you just can't see what is going on at all. This can really be a problem when fighting the bats.

-Again like I said before, some of the levels are far too short and simple. I'm pretty sure there were a few where you seriously only had to run from one point to another, and then ta-da, you beat the chapter.

-The game is far, far too linear. This hurt the game more than anything else in my opinion.

-The NYC stage was a huge, HUGE, letdown, no question about it.

I know I'm repeating a lot of what I've said, but that's fine. The game felt like one huge demo of a better, and much longer game. Here are a few specific things that I loved about the game:

-I loved how it felt like you were actually watching a movie. The entire thing with no on-screen stats and all of that really helped pull you in. I feel the same about the limited weapons.

-I didn't have the problem with limited ammo that so many other people seem to be talking about. I found myself with enough of ammo almost all of the time, and when I did run out I was always able to find a bone or spear. I almost always had ammo though.

-A few of the things you had to do in the game, or things that you saw, were more frightening than most survival horror games. I loved going under that bridge, or whatever it was, in the water near the end of the game with all of those crocs.

-I loved when a dino would grab hold of one of my team members, and they would yell for help, and I would have to fight it off to save them. It was especially great when I only had a bone or something, or even no weapon at all.

-On the other side of that one, I loved when something would grab me, and the other team members would save my life.

-The scale of the dinos was just breathtaking, period.

-For the most part, I enjoyed the controls of Kong himself. Those segments didn't even really feel like game play elements to me really. It felt like those segments were there just to have you feel like you were really controlling a movie since, to be honest, there wasn't much to his stages and it is almost impossible to die. The purpose was to just show off the game really, which was fine to me since it was pretty impressive, and that is more than likely because we haven't seen much like that before.

So yeah, there is plenty to like and to dislike about the game, and I recommend it for a rent but not for a buy (unless you can buy cheap, and resell it).
Old 12-20-05, 03:05 PM
Banned by request

I found the key to surviving with low ammo is to use the "sniper" rifle. You can usually kill most creatures with one hit, thus saving ammo. Of course, the shotgun does this, too, but you have less ammo to start, and it's less accurate.

I was having fun with the Kong levels until I noticed that if you go into frenzy, you kill any other major creature with one hit. Kind of lame.

Overall, though, I still like it.
Old 12-21-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just beat the game and while I applaud some of the things done in the game I have to say it let me down as much as parts of the movie did.

I didn't pay much attention to reviews about this game. I had no idea how different it was going to be. Granted I know that making a game that follows the movie perfectly wouldn't work but I was shocked by the events in the game.

I did like the lack of a health meter until I would get hit and then it just pissed me off having the red screen, slow motion effects and the music kick in.

I had no issues with the limited ammo. There were maybe 2 parts to the game that I could of used more ammo but I made it past those parts with minimal hassle.

The Kong levels were outstanding except for the New York level as mentioned above. It really bummed me out to see one of the best parts of the movie reduced to a few cop cars and soldiers.

This wasn't the worst game I have ever played but you could almost sit down and beat this in the same amount of time it takes to watch the movie. A number of the levels were very short and it it felt like the game was rushing you along. Back when I played the demo I had little interest in the game but after seeing the movie I was curious.

I'm glad I played it but games based on movies didn't take the huge leap forward like I had hoped for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.