The Simpsons -- "See Homer Run" -- 11/20/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The Simpsons -- "See Homer Run" -- 11/20/05

"See Homer Run"
Spoiler:
Homer's reaction to Lisa's Father's Day book causes her to develop a disappointment disorder.

Cast: Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer.
Producer(s): James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, Al Jean.

Original Airdate: November 20, 2005.
Old 11-20-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weak sauce. I haven't been very impressed with this season. Has their writing staff been completely overhauled?
Old 11-20-05, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to channel Comic Book Guy.. but this was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever.
Old 11-20-05, 10:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought the problem was the subject matter they were spoofing was over a year old

I did like the "Nuclear Plant Workers For Truth" ad
Old 11-20-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was pretty good. Cletus & Brandine trying to find Bart Blvd.

And for some reason, watching the cars pile up and then the helicopter just falling on top had me laughing too.
Old 11-20-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
This one seemed to fall into the "It's about Lisa = it's going to suck" category. Homers tail moving had me laughing a bit, though.
Old 11-21-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Wow, that was really bad - and I'm usually the biggest Simpsons apologist on this board. It was like the show was clobbered together from bad imitations of the show's past.

Originally Posted by mndtrp
This one seemed to fall into the "It's about Lisa = it's going to suck" category.
I don't agree with that - there's been a lot of great Lisa-centered episodes: The episode where she becomes a vegitarian, the Malibu Stacy episode, Lisa's rival - that's just off the top of my head, I know there's a bunch more.
Old 11-21-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
This one seemed to fall into the "It's about Lisa = it's going to suck" category. Homers tail moving had me laughing a bit, though.
Sad but true.

I also tend to defend the Simpsons. But this episode was particularly bad, and in light of this: indefensible.
Old 11-21-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Not a very good episode this week although it had some funny bits.
Old 11-21-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was also pretty disappointed with this episode. I don't mind when these episodes go off on a bizarre tangent (most of the great ones start one way and end up being about something totally different), but to make the whole show about such a random thing like the "Safety Salamander" is just lame, or a sign that they need new ideas. The fact that Homer (and even Lenny and Carl) believed the suit was somehow powerful was fine, but for the whole town to buy into it seemed just stupid. And the theme of Homer having to redeem himself for Lisa is just old. They need to get John Swartzwelder back in there, who could make really random episodes at least seem coherent.
Old 11-21-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
The show still makes me laugh. I loved the Lincoln/midget bit. Cracked me up.

Plus, I'm a sucker for Homer and his prissy/giggly prance, like he did during the opening "shop for Father's Day" setup.

Glad to see the naysayers are out in full force, yet still watching every week.
Old 11-21-05, 11:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a classic, but nowhere near the worst ever. Hell, I thought it was a slight improvement over this year's disappointing Treehouse episode. I actually thought the entire 'Lisa's book' segment was hilarious, especially the destruction of the book and the 'crappy magnet' bit. The election stuff and Safety Salamander stuff did drag a lot, though.

I still think the show should do an overhaul and jump ahead a few years in the timeline. Maybe have Bart & Lisa be in 6th/7th grade, with Maggie a kindergartener? Most of the show could go on unchanged, but this would at least open up some new story dynamics, and you wouldn't have to *drastically* change the kids' appearances. Or maybe give Marge a permanent job? Or even (gasp) give Homer a new job? They've been willing to make permanent changes to the show's universe before (Mrs. Flanders' death). There are a lot of little things they could do to that wouldn't *completely* shake things up (in a shark jumping way).
Old 11-21-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Seems to be less and less posts in the Simpsons threads every week. Wonder if that's an indication of the audience shrinking too. This is the first season I've not watched every new episode in years, it's just not "appointment TV" for me so much anymore.
Old 11-21-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Seems to be less and less posts in the Simpsons threads every week. Wonder if that's an indication of the audience shrinking too. This is the first season I've not watched every new episode in years, it's just not "appointment TV" for me so much anymore.

Nope, Simpsons still pulling in good numbers.
Old 11-21-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I thought it was pretty good. Cletus & Brandine trying to find Bart Blvd.

And for some reason, watching the cars pile up and then the helicopter just falling on top had me laughing too.

I enjoyed this one too, and I also loved the helicopter falling on top of the pile.
Old 11-21-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
I didn't hate this one nearly as much as everyone else seems to. In fact, throughout the first half, I was really thinking this was the best ep so far this season. I still might stick by that, if only because I haven't been very impressed with the others from this season. I thought the first half was great, but when it went into the runoff (virtually out of nowhere) I thought the ep began to suffer.