Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

The Best Widescreen CRT TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-18-05, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For you CRT fans, what do you think is the best model of widescreen CRT in the current market? It should be at least HDTV ready and progressive scan. Please submit your recommendation, comments, reason, etc.
Old 11-18-05, 02:53 AM

Sony 34XBR960. Check avs for all the info.
Old 11-18-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Direct view or projection? CRT HDTVs are generally not progressive scan, they do 1080i. Unless you mean for DVD usage, some still have a 480p mode, but that seems to be going away.
Old 11-18-05, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tbwmp88
Sony 34XBR960. Check avs for all the info.
When I was looking around earlier in the year for a new TV this was always rated as the best CRT. The thing is a monster though at something like 2 ft deep and almost 200lbs IIRC
Old 11-18-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would expect almost 300#, but that's without looking.
Old 11-18-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Sony's 34" XBR960 has been the baddest son of a bitch on the block for some time now. And if you can't afford that try and find either the 34" XS955 or the its 30" counterpart.
Old 11-20-05, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Direct view or projection? CRT HDTVs are generally not progressive scan, they do 1080i. Unless you mean for DVD usage, some still have a 480p mode, but that seems to be going away.
No, no projection. And yes, I want to know which widscreen CRT is excellent for DVD usage.

So far, everyone talks Sony. How about other brand, say from Panasonic, Philips, or Samsung?
Old 11-21-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as I know Sony makes the best CRT around. But I heard Mitsubishi also made a very good one. I don't know about models though.
Old 11-21-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to Sony (actually, I'd say instead of Sony... I've never had luck with their products), you should take a peek at Mitsubishi and Toshiba.
Old 11-21-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walmart has or had 2 30" Phillips for around $600. I'd like to know how good these are. I'm determined to get a HDTV after Christmas.
Old 11-21-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, forgot to come back after asking for more info.

Pioneer Elite and Mits made the best CRT RPTVs. Period. But I think both companies have gotten out of the CRT business. (or: "are getting out") Mits is still selling some, they'd be number one on my list. Sony makes the best CRT FPTVs, but that probably isn't what you are looking at. Hitachis have a rep for being one of the best in terms of picture quality out-of-the-box.

The best idea for a CRT RPTV is to get it calibrated by a good ISF guy. These TVs are so varied out of the box, that it's hard to filter through reviews and figure out which ones actually look the best. If I was set to purchase one, I would simply add $400 to the cost of any CRT model and get it calibrated after a couple hundred hours of usage. Most of them look very, very good when set up properly. The better ones are just a little bit better.
Old 11-26-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My vote goes to either the Mits or a Hitachi. I'm a Hitachi owner and love the way my DVDs look on my set I bought a year ago. A good friend of mine bought a 65 inch Mits and it's an incredible set, if I were buying today I'd probably go with it as the price has dropped a good $300-500 over the last 12 months, depending on the deal you happen upon.
Old 12-04-05, 03:15 AM

Mitsu is generally regarded as the best. I'm not so sure about Sony's, frankly they're ugly IMO being silver and all and thats enough for me to not buy 'em. They're direct views are great though, I have a 32-incher. Pioneer Elites should be pretty damn good but hard to find nowadays. Myself, I have a 2003 Hitachi 57" S500 and I abso-freakin-lutely love the damn thing. They're a little less known but demand respect, especially the ones with the 9" guns. Glorious picture that I'm not even sure if getting it calibrated would make it better (actually it probably would but seriously it looks great as is). I have no complaints with it and just love love the picture it puts out, out of the box there is not much tweaking to do. It'll definately hold me off on buying a plasma/dlp/lcd for years to come.
Old 12-06-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's almost impossible to say. I'd probably say the Elites, but I like the Hitachi sets over the Toshiba, Sony, and Mits when it comes to rear-projection sets.
Old 12-07-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NestoJR
Mitsu is generally regarded as the best. I'm not so sure about Sony's, frankly they're ugly IMO being silver and all and thats enough for me to not buy 'em. They're direct views are great though, I have a 32-incher. Pioneer Elites should be pretty damn good but hard to find nowadays. Myself, I have a 2003 Hitachi 57" S500 and I abso-freakin-lutely love the damn thing. They're a little less known but demand respect, especially the ones with the 9" guns. Glorious picture that I'm not even sure if getting it calibrated would make it better (actually it probably would but seriously it looks great as is). I have no complaints with it and just love love the picture it puts out, out of the box there is not much tweaking to do. It'll definately hold me off on buying a plasma/dlp/lcd for years to come.
Are you saying Hitachi has a 57" with 9" guns? Or some larger model?