Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any hope for a Carnivale return?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any hope for a Carnivale return?

I know I'm late to the party, but I've finally started watching my Carnivale: Season 1 DVD set. I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it. Really enjoying it.

The problem: My understanding is that there was a 6-year plan for this show, but it got cancelled after only 2 seasons, leaving a ton of unanswered questions and dangling plotlines.

The question: Are there any rumblings of this continuing in some form? On another network? A shorter HBO miniseries to tie up loose ends?
Old 11-16-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No.
Old 11-17-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope. I'm pretty sure I've read that there are some plans to finish the story in comic-book form, but that might have been a wild rumor I found somewhere. The creator seems fairly attached to the show despite it's cancellation, so I have to imagine the ending he penned out for the trilogy of two-season arcs will come out eventually, be it published or just him telling us what would have happened. I'm more than happy to settle for that.
Old 11-17-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
If anything happens I'm sure it will be posted at www.savecarnivale.org
Old 11-17-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, thanks for the site. Doesn't seem like this effort has the momentum that Farscape or Firefly did... too bad. I was really loving the show until I realized "Wait a minute! Didn't this get cancelled early?" The thought that HBO -- with so few programs and such an (apparent) dedication to quality -- would just screw viewers like that is amazing. Makes me not want to even start watching Rome...
Old 11-17-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's gone, but don't despair too much about "a ton of unanswered questions and dangling plotlines." The first 2-season arc is completed in its entirety. Yeah, there are some things I want to know more about, and there are 4 more seasons of story that could have been told, but the primary story that encompasses the first 2-season arc stands on its own and tells more-or-less a complete story. It's worth watching to the end.

das
Old 11-17-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, das. That makes me feel a lot better... I've been trying to avoid spoilers, so I've only skimmed a couple of threads, but I got the impression that it was worse than that. It's good to know that it is at least somewhat wrapped up (if incomplete).

I'll be first in line for Season 2, assuming that HBO eventually gets around to releasing it on DVD.
Old 11-17-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a 2 hour movie that would close everything up nicely?! We can dream, can't we!! Sci-Fi would be better off making something like that instead of the goofy ass movies they make now.
Old 11-17-05, 08:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I was really bummed when this got the axe. One of my favorite HBO dramas.
Old 11-17-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I just wished they would have let them go to their 3 season story arc and really finish it right.
Old 11-17-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
It's gone, but don't despair too much about "a ton of unanswered questions and dangling plotlines." The first 2-season arc is completed in its entirety. Yeah, there are some things I want to know more about, and there are 4 more seasons of story that could have been told, but the primary story that encompasses the first 2-season arc stands on its own and tells more-or-less a complete story. It's worth watching to the end.

das

Not really. We still really didnt know shit by the end of season 2.