Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Magic the gathering - PC Game

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magic the gathering - PC Game

Hey,

The other day on the train I saw a guy playing Magic the gathering on his laptop. it appeared to be a computer version of the card game. Does anyone know what the exact title for this game might be, because I would be interested in buying it. I am assuming it is a person vs. compter and not an online game since he was playing on the train, in a tunnel.
Old 11-16-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by josuff247
Hey,

The other day on the train I saw a guy playing Magic the gathering on his laptop. it appeared to be a computer version of the card game. Does anyone know what the exact title for this game might be, because I would be interested in buying it. I am assuming it is a person vs. compter and not an online game since he was playing on the train, in a tunnel.
That might be the old Microprose Magic The Gathering PC game. I used to play it when I had Windows 95/98, but it doesn't work on XP. Also, when they stopped making the game it stopped being updated with new expansions. All they really have now is Magic the Gathering: Battlegrounds which blows, and Magic the Gathering Online which is online.

I have also discovered some independently created Magic the Gathering games you can play on your PC, but there is no AI. You'd be either playing yourself or someone else. They're more for cataloging your collection and trying out your decks.

Here's one:

http://www.magicworkstation.com/

There might be a few others if you look around.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had that old MTG game as well as the only expansion and i adored them. They of course stopped putting them out because they didn't require you to buy booster packs in RL or virtual. If you find a copy however it was a fun game with an ok AI.

Maybe i'll look and see if i still have my old cd-roms somewhere.
Old 11-16-05, 02:38 PM

Could it be just Magic the Gathering Online? The game is free but the "Virtual" cards cost the same as the real ones! You basically play Magic as you normally do, against opponents online. You can play in tourneys and win prizes that include money and virtual cards etc.. Hit www.wizards.com
for more info.
Old 11-16-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by azeledge
Could it be just Magic the Gathering Online? The game is free but the "Virtual" cards cost the same as the real ones! You basically play Magic as you normally do, against opponents online. You can play in tourneys and win prizes that include money and virtual cards etc.. Hit www.wizards.com
for more info.
There is indeed this newer version out there but there was also an older version i played to death that gave you access to all the cards from a couple expansions. It had a single player game where you beat the AI for anted cards and built decks with those. There was also another mode that gave you all the cards to choose from and you could play online or against the AI.
Old 11-16-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am assuming it is a person vs. compter and not an online game since he was playing on the train, in a tunnel.
Originally Posted by azeledge
for more info.
I don't think you can get online to play Magic the Gathering Online on a train in a tunnel, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-17-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you can test decks against each other with it, that might have been what he was doing.
Old 11-22-05, 09:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Magic

Microprose's Magic the Gathering is available for download at www.the-underdogs.org. It works fine on XP for me.
Old 11-22-05, 10:00 AM

Cool, I'll check that out tonight.
I actually downloaded the Free paper game trial, and look to move forward to the online version.
Thanks!!
Old 11-22-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by karnblack
I don't think you can get online to play Magic the Gathering Online on a train in a tunnel, but I could be wrong.
The commuter train here has internet access so it is possible.
Old 11-22-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Do you play the paper version also? If you buy the new Core Set Starter box, it comes with physical cards, and a CD that will give you online game with the digital cards the same as the physical ones. You can play them for free, but you do have to pay for anymore. Having collected the physical cards since Revised/The Dark, I'm not exactly eager to pay for my cards all over again.

And if you're new to the game, you do realize it's nickname is Crack:The Addiction right?
Old 11-22-05, 09:51 PM

Remember playing M:TG from Beta up thru Ice Age. Man, what an addiction me and my friends had to that game....but god so fun!! Dumped so much $$$ into cards, and still can recall my friends that didn't play telling me what a waste it was. I haven't looked at MTG card prices in ages, not since selling my collection about a year after I quit. Wonder how much beta, arabian nights, antiquities, legends, dark, etc sets/cards are going for now.

I tried the online version when it was in beta, but was no way in hell I was going to pay retail price for virtual cards. Didn't even realize the online version was still around.
Old 11-23-05, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Do you play the paper version also? If you buy the new Core Set Starter box, it comes with physical cards, and a CD that will give you online game with the digital cards the same as the physical ones. You can play them for free, but you do have to pay for anymore. Having collected the physical cards since Revised/The Dark, I'm not exactly eager to pay for my cards all over again.

And if you're new to the game, you do realize it's nickname is Crack:The Addiction right?
I never played before.
I just picked up the Starter set for $15. I could have just paid the 10 dollars and bought a theme deck, but its nice to have physical cards, and instruction booklet that I do not have to print out or read online. I figured since I do not know anyone who would play, its best for me to play online. ANd a 15 dollar investement wont kill me if I dont like it. As far as addiction, Well, I was on my computer for 4 hours, but I still have a lot to learn and have only played tutoials so far.

PS- I belive this must have been what I saw the guy playing on the train. I did not realize the offline capabilities.
Old 11-23-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I never played before.
I just picked up the Starter set for $15. I could have just paid the 10 dollars and bought a theme deck, but its nice to have physical cards, and instruction booklet that I do not have to print out or read online. I figured since I do not know anyone who would play, its best for me to play online. ANd a 15 dollar investement wont kill me if I dont like it. As far as addiction, Well, I was on my computer for 4 hours, but I still have a lot to learn and have only played tutoials so far.

PS- I belive this must have been what I saw the guy playing on the train. I did not realize the offline capabilities.

I don't generally buy theme decks until after the set has been out awhile and the places in the mall like Gamestop start marking them half price. Then I'll pickup a ton of them, it's a pretty good way to bulk up your collection. They're not always built for competition. They have to have a certain amount of rares, uncommons, commons and lands, so that can restrict it's playability.

I recently found a display box of 9th Ed boosters at a Gamestop with a 50% sticker on the box. 9th had only been out a month or so, and there were still 33 packs left in the box. I snatched that up pretty quick. I've found a lot of good deals on Magic at Gamestop's now that I think about it.
Old 11-23-05, 05:07 PM

Ive been collecting MtG for the better part of the decade (Since Revised/IA). I own alot of cards. I did beta the MtG Online bu never got passed that I preferred real cards to virtual. Though I have stopped buying core set since around 5th/6th

I think i own around 50,000 card, probly close to several sets completed. I still love playing and go to the prereleases when I can