Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should They Cancel The Simpsons?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Should The Simpsons Get Cancelled?
Yes, Pull the Plug on it's Life Support
52.23%
No, Lets Prolong it's Agony
47.77%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-05, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is probably a well worn topic, but should The Simpsons be finally cancelled? I know The Simpsons was a very funny show and occasionally it still is, but I feel like the suits at FOX are dragging out the series for far too long.

I felt that the The Simpsons stopped being consistently good when Phil Hartman, a pivotal voice actor, was murdered in 1998 and it's been downhill for The Simpsons ever since.

That's not to say that The Simpsons is total garbage yet, it's still entertaining and better than most of the trash on TV at the moment, but I fear that The Simpsons could carry on until it fades out with a whimper rather than a well deserved bang.

Should they put the poor thing down?
Old 11-13-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts
I voted no, but there is no agony involved. I enjoy it every week. I'm easy to please but I think it's fine.
Old 11-13-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I think they have it locked up for this year and next year. I don't think they should cancel it. It has it's moments.
Old 11-13-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Simpsons has earned the right to go out on its own terms.
Old 11-13-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No The Simpsons should stay. Unlike AD, The Simpsons is actually a funny show.
Old 11-13-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil L.
No The Simpsons should stay. Unlike AD, The Simpsons is actually a funny show.
Ouch. Now does AD mean Arrested Development or American Dad?

I still enjoy the Simpsons and Fox will probably keep them till they break the record for longest running sitcom.
Old 11-13-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts
I don't watch it anymore, but it still draws decent ratings for FOX, so why the need to cancel it?
Old 11-13-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Ouch. Now does AD mean Arrested Development or American Dad?
Arrested Development. I'm just busting balls over all the latest 'cancelation' info.
Old 11-13-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use to be an avid Simpsons fan, but the show isn't what it used to be anymore. It's just an image of it's former self. Whatever originality the show used to have is all but gone now. It seems once Groening left for Futurama, the show started going into a black hole of despair. The show hasn't been what it used to be for at least five seasons now and Groening should just step in and end whatever dignity the show has left (which to tell you the truth, is not a lot with the show's current state). I don't hate the show, I just wish it was it's former self.

However, I think FOX needs to cancel the following shows before The Simpsons gets pulled off the air...

- The War at Home
- King of the Hill
- American Dad
- Killer Instinct
- Nanny 911
- Reunion
- Stacked
- That '70s Show
- Trading Spouses

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Arrested Development. I'm just busting balls over all the latest 'cancelation' info.
And it's no wonder why FOX is still in business.
Old 11-13-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

However, I think FOX needs to cancel the following shows before The Simpsons gets pulled off the air...

- King of the Hill
Am I the only one who thinks this show is still great? Hell, it's been more consistent than the Simpsons lately (and I like the Simpsons.)
Old 11-13-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Simpsons is not the show I grew up loving. It may be funny to some people now, but that 'funny' is definitely not the 'funny' that I grew up loving. The characters are different. All of them. Homer is the hugest jerk now. The early seasons he may have done jerky things, but he had good intentions. He was a loving father. Now he is actually a bad person! The jokes are different, not as clever. The characters do things that they never would have done in the first 8 or 9 seasons. Each episode now has about 6 different story lines because they can't think of 1 continuous story line that hasn't been done already.

I wish they would end the show. It hasn't been any good in years.
Old 11-13-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I still think that even though The Simpsons are not as good as they were a couple years ago it is still better than 90% of the crap that is on the TV today.
Old 11-13-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I use to be an avid Simpsons fan, but the show isn't what it used to be anymore. It's just an image of it's former self. Whatever originality the show used to have is all but gone now. It seems once Groening left for Futurama, the show started going into a black hole of despair. The show hasn't been what it used to be for at least five seasons now and Groening should just step in and end whatever dignity the show has left (which to tell you the truth, is not a lot with the show's current state). I don't hate the show, I just wish it was it's former self.

This is how i feel as well...except I think the show hasn't been funny since the 9th season? Whichever one was from 1998-1999 and overused the musical episodes.

Instead of a great show going out while it was great, it's been prolonged to the point where it will go out overstaying its welcome.

I don't watch it anymore and the last time i did see a new episode i couldn't tolerate it. The show isn't funny and the episodes lack orginality anymore.
Old 11-13-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Andalusia
Am I the only one who thinks this show is still great? Hell, it's been more consistent than the Simpsons lately (and I like the Simpsons.)
Yeah, I agree, super consistent!
Old 11-13-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I voted no because every season there are still a couple of gems among the trash. There are a whole lot worse things than The Simpsons on TV (cough*FamilyGuy* cough*AmericanDad*cough*WaratHome*)

As for King of the Hill, I've said for a few years now that it is a better, more enjoyable show than Simpsons. I think my enjoyment of the show is helped because I'm from Texas, though.
Old 11-13-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never. Who cares if it isn't as good as it may have once been. It is still the one show on TV that NEVER fails to make me laugh out loud at least once an episode. I can't think of any other show that can do that. Most of the time, its multiple LOL's. Besides, its not like there weren't some stinker episodes in 'the glory years'. Any Marge or Lisa central episode tends to be less interesting then the ones focusing on Homer or Bart but even these have hilarious moments in them.

This may seem simple, but if you don't like it, DON'T WATCH IT. Why watch something you don't like other then to be able to go to an internet site and complain about it.
Old 11-13-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let it die. As I've said before, when the show's creators apologized to the board of tourism of Rio, the show officially lost any claim to being edgy. Gone were the days of Matt telling the big chemical companies to STFU when they bitched about Blinky the Three-Eyed Fish.

I hadn't watched the show with any regularity in years... I made it a point to tune in for this year's Treehouse of Horrors and found myself asking when the show started to suck this bad.
Old 11-13-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where is the choice, NO It's gotten better the past couple seasons?

It did lag for a while, particularly during the period where Homer kept on meeting celebrity guests playing themselves as opposed to different and interesting characters around Springfield. Those stories just dragged the stories down, and went from having to create clever jokes to stupid things like, "Homer is rocking with the Rolling Stones! Ha hahahah ha ha..." But the last season was great stuff, and this new season is turning out pretty good too.

It's still got life in it. And what would they replace it with? A two hour block of War at Home? Or four hours of McFarland cartoons? Please.
Old 11-13-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No. But I wouldn't say "agony." Crappy choices
Old 11-13-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And what would they replace it with?
Nothing. Why? Because FOX has canned any other good shows on thier network.

FOX will hold onto this show until everyone gets tired of it because it is the only thing they have to make people tune in besides football.
Old 11-13-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I still think that even though The Simpsons are not as good as they were a couple years ago it is still better than 90% of the crap that is on the TV today.
100% agree
Old 11-13-05, 10:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

They have to at least go to a 20th season. They're so close. And really, what else are they going to do with Sunday? While not the ratings powerhouse it once was, the show is at least a consistent performer for Fox. And they still can make money out of licensing from the show.
Old 11-13-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At first I thought yes, but then i watched tonight's episode and was entertained for the most part. It wasn't really funny but still highly watchable. And if NBC can keep a show that has turned into complete shit like Saturday night Live on the air for decades there is no reason not to have the Simpsons stick it out.
Old 11-13-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It pulls in the ratings no matter how shitty everyone pisses on about it being now a days. So it'll keep going till it stops becoming profitable.
Old 11-13-05, 11:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
These kinds of polls, where the voter is forced to agree with the poller's opinion no matter what they choose, are ridiculous. People shouldn't even respond to this tripe.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.