Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you get to play your music loud?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I figure many of you are in concrete jungles. Big apartments, condos, cramped neighborhoods, etc. So...do you get to really blast your music? My wife won't let me get too loud becuase she doesn't like to see me happy. But she's gone tonight, so I decided to really try it out. Sitting in the middle of 40 acres, I went with Black Eyed Peas Pump It and had windows rattling, etc. A few things fell off shelves. Lots of bass. And then naturally we went to Barry White. Damn, that man could sing. Had to test out the mids and highs, and there can be no better test than the music in Jungle Fever by Stevie Wonder. And because I heard it at the Portland Otter Meet, I tried out Johnny Cash's The Man Comes Around.

Man, you forget what good loud music is like listening to headphones, etc.

So.....do you get to let it fly loud and long at your casa?
Old 11-12-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
There's aproblem with your post. You used the term "music" when referring to the Black Eyed Peas.

And yes I crank it. My neighbor has never complained.
Old 11-12-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure do....but it doesn't stop the neighbors from complaining.
Old 11-12-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do in my dorm/apartment sometimes, the neighbors can't really complain because I'm the RA.
Old 11-12-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I listen to most of my music on my computer in the morning as I make the internet rounds. On days my wife is not up for work I'm a little sad because I can't listen at a reasonable volume. Reasonable means a tad bit loud. I hate headsets... too much damage.
Old 11-12-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can and do blast my music but never ever the Black Eyed Peas. You make baby Jesus cry when you listen to the Black Eyed Peas.
Old 11-12-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
I have 2 other roommates in the house. I don't crank things after 9 so it's not a problem.

That's one thing I don't miss about apartment living.
Old 11-12-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I play it reasonably loud during the day sometimes.
Old 11-12-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Often. Extremely loud and on a powerful system. My neighbors don't even hear it apparently. There's enough space between houses and the walls are very thick.
Old 11-12-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 585 Posts
I have sensitive hearing, so "cranked way up" to me is about normal for most people. I get to indulge in loud music without bothering anyone!

My neighbor's kids play their music loud enough to hear halfway down the block, when their parents are out. I'm ready for next time, though, I've built a radio frequency laser in the back yard.
Old 11-12-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I guess I'm kind of with Mrs. Danger on this one...although my hearing isn't sensitive, I just don't wanna go deaf. I get my "cranked way up" when I go to concerts (which reminds me to start a thread in music...). A good example is that my tv's volume goes to 30 ("but it goes to 11"), I won't listen louder than 15 unless the sound is damn low for whatever reason...this refers to both music dvds and my cd player goes through these speakers too.

Pretty much the same deal in the car as well...I think the volume knob goes to 40, and I don't go higher than 23, again unless the sound is low.

Like TomOpus said, I don't listen loud after a certain time (usually around 10 pm on weekdays...midnight or one on Fri./Sat. Luckily, I have no roommates, and while the neighbors and I share common walls, they are concrete (as opposed to that rather thin stuff that's usually there), so I never hear the neighbors being loud unless I step outside my door (and even then I guess we're not all that loud in general).
Old 11-12-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the car, definitely, and if I'm home during the day.
Old 11-12-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No problems here. But then... I don't really blast music late at night any more. I'm such an old fart.

But I watch movies pretty late and that subwoofer booms pretty well. Not sure if the neighbors can hear it or not but I've never heard anything about it and I never hear them, so I doubt it.
Old 11-12-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
I have sensitive hearing, so "cranked way up" to me is about normal for most people. I get to indulge in loud music without bothering anyone!
Keep your voice down! We have elderly people reading these threads!
Old 11-12-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I've got sensitive hearing too, so I've never felt the need to crank my music at crazy levels. Which is a good thing I guess, because I live in a condo (neighbour on one side).

I really wonder about those who have the music cranked in their car with the windows rolled up (the ones where you can still hear the bass halfway down the street). There is no way that they won't have some level of deafness in the future. I read an article by an ear doctor that said that some of those volume levels are the same as standing next to a jet engine. Yikes.
Old 11-12-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, the idea of kvrdave sitting out on the porch in his rocking chair in the middle of nowhere with an ole coon dog at his feet and a shotgun across his lap jamming to the Black Eyed Peas, Barry White and Stevie Wonder is making my head spin.
Old 11-12-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I too also blast the music and movies. My previous apartment was soundproofed and my new house is brick, so I can let it rip at 3 AM and not worry. One of the main reasons for owning a home, in my opinion.
Old 11-12-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our neighbors are several lots away on both sides and none on the other two.
We also have brick on the lower level which keeps it in pretty much if the windows are closed. There's also our three car garage and a gravel lane between us and the one neighbor.

I crank music and movies day or night without any worries.
Old 11-12-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure do. That's why I would never buy a condo/town house or an apartment. There's a lot of room between our houses, so my movies/music are cranked up.
Old 11-12-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having a house works great for watching movies as well. LOUD rumbling and not one concern about anyone around me.
Old 11-12-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't play my music loud, but it's only fair. Every time my upstairs neighbor gets his bass too loud, I pound the ceiling with a broom handle (a cliche, I know).

On another note, does anybody feel there are some songs that have to be cranked loud to be appreciated? Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray" for me.
Old 11-12-05, 07:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I've had band rehearsal in my attic. I'm never gonna play CDs as loud as that.
Old 11-12-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I've had band rehearsal in my attic. I'm never gonna play CDs as loud as that.
Must be nice. I have to pay by the hour at a rehearsal studio.
Old 11-12-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

without loud i would not listen
Old 11-13-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must be getting old, cause even my favorite stuff I turn the volume down cause it starts hurting my ears after a while.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.