Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MusicTalk Draft Game - The Grand Finale!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Who has the better “collection”?
cdollaz
57.50%
jimdrix
42.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to round five of the MusicTalk Draft Tournament! In this thread, the players drafted a virtual “collection” of ten albums. Now, it is up to you, the MusicTalk community, to vote on which player has drafted the best collection.

We are now down to the last two “collections”. Congrats to our finalists, who each had to beat some stiff competition to get here. In order to vote, simply fill out the poll attached to this thead. Note that this is a public poll. Furthermore, feel free to add comments to this thread telling us why you voted how you did.

Players in the game are also allowed to vote. Optionally, they are also allowed to post to this thread telling everybody why they think you should vote for their collection.

So, let the voting begin! Voting ends on Monday, November 14th, at the exact time of the timestamp of this post. Match-ups will be listed in the first reply to this post.

Good luck to both of our finalists!
Old 11-11-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

VOTING - ROUND 5 – THE FINALS!
This round will last 72 hours.

Final Round Match-ups

cdollaz vs. jimdrix

cdollaz
1. Radiohead: OK Computer
2. The Clash: London Calling
3. Talking Heads: The Name of this Band is Talking Heads
4. Elvis Costello & The Attractions: This Year's Model
5. Tom Waits: Swordfishtrombones
6. U2: Boy
7. Faith No More: Angel Dust
8. Frank Black: Teenager Of The Year
9. Van Halen: Fair Warning
10. Rush: Moving Pictures
<marquee></marquee>

jimdrix
1. The Beatles: Revolver
2. Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed
3. James Brown: Star Time [box set]
4. Prince: Sign 'O' The Times
5. David Bowie: The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust (30th Anniversary Edition)
6. The Who: Who's Next (Deluxe Edition)
7. Public Enemy: Fear of a Black Planet
8. Elton John: Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (Deluxe Edition)
9. Neil Young: On The Beach
10. Ministry: Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
<marquee></marquee>

Last edited by auto; 11-11-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
A few words about my strategy and picks:

1. It had to be an album I own and love. There are many well-loved artists that I respect, however they are not my taste and I wouldn’t feel right including them on my list.
2. I tried to pick artists that have and will stand the test of time, and I think all of them are icons of their particular genre.

OK Computer – Radiohead: Pablo Honey got them recognized, The Bends got them well-known, but OK Computer sent them into the stratosphere. When this album came out in 1997, it sounded like nothing that had come before it, making it truly groundbreaking.

London Calling – The Clash: I already have been called out for not giving this album justice with my words, so I will not even try. Most are familiar with this album and its place in history, or at least should be.

The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads (Remastered Edition) – Talking Heads: This 33 track live album may be the definitive Heads moment. As great as their studio albums are, many of their studio cuts took on a whole new life in a live setting. This is the Talking Heads at their artistic peak, before they found widespread commercial success on the next studio album.

This Year’s Model – Elvis Costello And The Attractions: Elvis’ second album, but first with The Attractions, this is an artist-defining and genre-defining album. To quote another, Elvis “more so than any other musician before or since, has managed to integrate the insight of personal music and the conviction of political music, while avoiding the self-indulgent pitfalls of both. To put it another way, Elvis Costello could sing a song about the oppressive and destructive state of his girlfriend and pull it off with wit and talent to spare.”

Swordfishtrombones – Tom Waits: A little bit of a detour on my list, away from rock & roll. After becoming a little stagnant on the previous 2-3 albums, this is the album that started the next phase of his career and transitioned Waits from “barroom balladeer” to “junkyard carnival.” Instead of focusing on piano as his main instrument, he added horns, strange percussion, and other oddball instruments to create a sound like no other. Waits, in my opinion, is also the best lyricist in music, and one of the most unique artists in the history of music.

Boy – U2: U2 has been the largest band in the world for almost 2 decades, and this is the album that started it all. This is the sound of 4 kids that just wanted to play music, before all of the grandiosity of becoming rock stars. From this first album, the uniqueness of the voice, guitar, and drums are evident and this album still sounds great and vital.

Angel Dust – Faith No More: One of the groundbreaking albums of alternative hard rock music and the first FNM album in which Patton had significant influence on the writing. Patton has one of, if not the best, voices in rock. This album just works on every level. It rocks, is wonderfully written, has a multitude of different styles, and is just flat out entertaining. FNM, along with The Pixies, Sonic Youth, and a couple of other highly regarded acts, are the godfathers of the alternative music movement in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

Teenager Of The Year – Frank Black: Probably the least known of my picks, this is a whopper of an album. Frank is better known as a member of the Pixies (this is probably his most Pixie-esque solo album). Not a bad track among the 22 on here and it has quite a diversity of styles. Instead of trying to explain it, check out the songs Thalassocracy, Freedom Rock, Speedy Marie, and Whatever Happened To Pong? for a taste of what this album is about.

Fair Warning – Van Halen: Another band that sounded totally unlike anything before it. Listening to their debut album which was released in 1977, it is hard to believe it is “70’s” music as they sound unlike any hard rock band before them, with an iconic guitarist, one of the best front men in rock and roll, and an awesome rhythm section. Truthfully, all of the Roth albums are great, except for Diver Down, so I could have picked any of them. This happens to be my personal favorite. The first 20-30 seconds of guitar in Mean Street, the first track, are an announcement that your ass is about to get rocked.

Moving Pictures – Rush: Well, at least they aren’t Dave Matthews. Although obviously not a personal favorite of many on here, you can’t deny this albums’ place in rock & roll history. This was “the” album to listen to when I was in junior high school and Rush was one the hottest bands around for many, many years. Today, it is still one of the most played albums on rock and roll radio, along with Back In Black, Zep 4, and a few others.
Old 11-11-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Interesting that I ended up with Jimdrix, as his was probably my favorite, other than mine.
Old 11-11-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I voted for jimdrix. My favorite Stones album, the second best PE album, a great Elton John, a great Who album and an important Beatles album. I like cdollaz's picks a lot, but he just can't top those.
Old 11-11-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote for cdollaz on the strength of OK Computer and London Calling. Neither of these lists would be among my top 10 of the 32 collections we started with, but congrats to both cdollaz and jimdrix for making it this far.
Old 11-11-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Cdollaz was an easy choice for me, but I am with illennium in that at the beginning of this whole thing, I wouldn't have put either in my top 10. But congratulations to both players and their lists that were obviously more loved than mine was.

Last edited by orangecrush; 11-11-05 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I vote for cdollaz. Both lists obviously have some amazing albums and to vote, I actually had to compare my least favorite picks on each list. It came down to Van Halen & Rush vs. Public Enemy & Ministry, and I give a slight edge to the former pair.

Also, wanted to say thanks to everyone that voted and/or played. I had a blast participating (and probably spent way too many work hours compiling lists, making my picks and watching the votes). Special thanks to auto for putting the effort into running the game and to The Bus for all the fun statistical rundowns.

If anyone wants to run another of these in the future, definitely count me in. I've one suggestion for the next time, though I'm not sure if anyone else would think it was a good idea. I think it'd be cool if all the participants paypal'd the organizer $1 at the start of the draft. At the end of the game, the $32 could be used to buy both the winner and the person who runs the game 1 album of their choice. Just an idea.
Old 11-11-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Final Round Match-ups

cdollaz vs. jimdrix

rationale: diversity and familiarity gives jimdrix the vote. i love OK Computer and London Calling (the only 2 on cdollaz' list that i'm hyper-familiar with), but they can't top the diversity of jimdrix' list, IMO.

-di doctor-
Old 11-11-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jimdrix slightly edged out cdollaz. Great list for both of them though - I lost to cdollaz midway through, so I know what kind of power his list holds...
Old 11-11-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

jimdrix is an easy choice for me. Aside from "London Calling" & "This Year's Model", I just can't get excited about cdollaz's list.
Old 11-12-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cdollaz by a few inches. As others have noted, these two are (no offense) far from my favorite lists of the original draft. I think familiarity won out. Probably the best thing to come out of this poll is the original set of lists contains an unbelievably good overview of good music for people to mine...
Old 11-12-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't own a legitimate copy of a single one of those albums.

Still, I went with cdollaz since I admire and appreciate the work of all of the artists on his list, save for Van Halen who can rot in hell for all I care. The same can be said about jimdrix's list, though I think his list reflects a more calculated "classic rock biggies" list, engineered for appeal. Besides, I'm much more into the late '70s/early '80s scene than the late '60s/early '70s, and I think cdollaz list is much more in accordance with my own tastes.

Last edited by Numanoid; 11-12-05 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cdollaz list is really good, but with a few duds imho. his list wasn't my favorite, by far, but it kept (and still is) up against lists that just don't stack up. that and he got my dream pick of london calling, which is just an all-around genre jumping masterpiece.
Old 11-12-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
that and he got my dream pick of london calling, which is just an all-around genre jumping masterpiece.
I agree, but I've onwed that album since i was in Junior High. I'm fairly sick of it at this point.
Old 11-12-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I agree, but I've onwed that album since i was in Junior High. I'm fairly sick of it at this point.
that doesn't mean it's not a fantastic album. but, to each his/her own
Old 11-13-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
that doesn't mean it's not a fantastic album. but, to each his/her own
Absolutely not, but I'm voting for my favorite lists of albums at this point in my life. At this point in my life (32, married, mortgage, kids etc) "Ok Computer", "London Calling" and the entirety of jimdrix's list are so familiar that I almost never play them. Had I been voting 10 years ago, things may have been different...
Old 11-13-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted for jimdrix, and I can't believe he is losing (18-11 at this point). I did a round-by-round comparison, and thought jimdrix should win 10-0! The best Beatles and Who albums, plus solid Bowie, Prince, and Stones albums. Wow....
Old 11-14-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I thought about this for a long time and ultimately I voted for jimdrix. This wasn't easy, but I just couldn't deal with Moving Pictures. I never liked Rush and I always turn down the volume or change the channel whenever I hear Rush on the radio. That's something I don't even do with Dave Matthews.
Old 11-14-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How they match up:

cdollaz vs. jimdrix

cdollaz

1. Radiohead: OK Computer
Great album and great first pick. Actually, the very first pick in the draft. Right from the start, I knew cdollaz was a serious contender and I knew he would go far.
2. The Clash: London Calling
Classic album. Surely picked him up many votes.
3. Talking Heads: The Name of this Band is Talking Heads
Superior to the Stop making Sense live LP. Still, I would have rather seen him pick a Heads' album (specifically Fear of Music).
4. Elvis Costello & The Attractions: This Year's Model
My favorite Costello. This would have been a top 5 pick for me as well.
5. Tom Waits: Swordfishtrombones
Tremendous pick.
6. U2: Boy
Not a big U2 fan but this is one of the albums that I own. Solid pick especially becuase these boards are very U2 friendly.
7. Faith No More: Angel Dust
I still prefer King for a Day but this is a great pick that helped cdollaz win my vote during several rounds.
8. Frank Black: Teenager Of The Year
IMHO, your best pick. The only "essential" non-Pixies Frank Black release.
9. Van Halen: Fair Warning
Here is where we run into problems. I hate Van Halen almost as much as...
10. Rush: Moving Pictures
....I hate Rush. I hate Rush with a passion. Did I mention I hate Rush?
You may have ended weak IMO, but you got my vote. You were first out of the gate and you made many strong picks. A good balance of classics and lesser known gems. You deserve to win. Congratulations.

jimdrix

1. The Beatles: Revolver
A great, albeit safe, first pick.
2. Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed
My second favorite Stones behind Exile.
3. James Brown: Star Time [box set]
An interesting choice. I love James Brown but an entire boxset of James Brown is a bit much.
4. Prince: Sign 'O' The Times
The best Prince LP. Great pick.
5. David Bowie: The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust (30th Anniversary Edition)
Great pick.
6. The Who: Who's Next (Deluxe Edition)
Another great pick.
7. Public Enemy: Fear of a Black Planet
Not my favorite PE, but a good pick strategy wise IMO. Not sure if helped or hurt you.
8. Elton John: Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (Deluxe Edition)
Decent concept album. Can't hold a candle to Yellowbrick Road. I doubt it picked up many votes for you.
9. Neil Young: On The Beach
Awesome album and a great pick. I liked that you finally broke away from "classic" albums and picked a cult fave. You should have done this more.
10. Ministry: Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs
Nice final pick. I dig it but, again, I'm not sure if it helped or hurt you.
I dig your list jimdrix but I have to admit I was surprised you made it this far. You picked a lot of classic albums and I thought that might hurt you in this crowd. Boy, was I wrong. You deaserve a lot of credit for making it to the very end. Great collection.

Last edited by auto; 11-14-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 10:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
that was a really tough decision, but after a few thinking I came to the conclusion that OK Computer, The Name of the This Band is the Talking Heads, London Calling and Moving Pictures are the albums that swayed my vote for cdollaz
Old 11-14-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
cdollaz had moving pictures on his list. He wins.
Old 11-14-05, 11:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
cdollaz had moving pictures on his list. He wins.
are you being snide or serious with this comment.
Old 11-14-05, 12:39 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I went with cdollaz, overall I liked his stuff better, even though it was hard to vote against sign o the times.
Old 11-14-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got to go with cdollaz as 3 of his albums would have been on my list:
Radiohead: OK Computer
Faith No More: Angel Dust
Rush: Moving Pictures (Which in my humble opinion is the best fucking album ever made...Period)

As for jimdrix the only album that would have made my list was Ministry: Psalm 69 which is a kick ass album.

I find it cool that 4 of my "must have" albums made the final two lists.

to both of you as there is a lot of shitty music out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.