Smallville -- "Splinter" -- 11/10/05

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Smallville -- "Splinter" -- 11/10/05

"Splinter"
Spoiler:
The Kents rely on Professor Fine (James Marsters) to cure Clark of paranoid delusions brought on by exposure to silver kryptonite.

Cast: Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk , Michael Rosenbaum, Allison Mack, John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, John Glover, Erica Durance, James Marsters.
Director(s): Greg Beeman.
Producer(s): Alfred Gough, Miles Millar.
Writer(s): Steven DeKnight .

Original Airdate: November 10, 2005.
Old 11-10-05, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decent episode.

Chloe looking good at work as well.
Old 11-10-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, that was a trippy little episode with silver kryptonite creating a very paranoid Clark.

So Fine finally reveals himself to Clark, and saves the day, but also created the situation as well. Lex really is into Lana, and some bits of foreshadowing of, perhaps, Chloe's demise surface as well.

The Kents insurance rates must really be expensive, Clark crashed another truck.
Old 11-10-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
The Kents insurance rates must really be expensive, Clark crashed another truck.

How do they even get insurance at the rate they total trucks? They probably turn to this guy:

Old 11-10-05, 08:27 PM

So Fine finally reveals himself to Clark, and saves the day, but also created the situation as well. Lex really is into Lana, and some bits of foreshadowing of, perhaps, Chloe's demise surface as well.
Plus, Lana now knows about the ship, but hasn't told Clark.

The line that Chloe gave though, blah, hope it doesn't happen just because of what she said, so cliched.
Old 11-10-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
"I'd die before i'd betray you..." Man, I hope that's not foreshadowing. Especially the way the camera lingered on her..

Other than that, this was ep.

Chloe looked pretty damn hot in her business suit.

And I could DEFINTELY see Welling in the suit. However, i'm not sure he'd make a good Clark. Maybe Singer could go back and reshoot the suit scenes for the movie?
Old 11-10-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
"I'd die before i'd betray you..." Man, I hope that's not foreshadowing. Especially the way the camera lingered on her..
I'm worried about this too.
Spoiler:
Especially since it's known they're going to off one of the regulars in the 100th episode.

I agree.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-10-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-10-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When will the 100th episode air?
Old 11-10-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A week after the 99th episode, of course.
Old 11-10-05, 10:22 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by calhoun07
When will the 100th episode air?
According to Kryptonsite, February 2006. It's the third episode in when the season picks up again next year.
Old 11-11-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
I'm confused. In an earlier thread someone said that Fine was Brainiac, as revealed by some other source. Granted, Smallville is creating the Superman mythology anew, but Fine sure is acting more like Eradicator than Brainiac. Plus, Brainiac isn't from Krypton. I guess we'll see as time goes on.

Overall, a good episode. The Kent's have more red trucks than Voyager had shuttles!
Old 11-11-05, 12:40 AM
Suspended

^co-sign

Cleavage!

Great episode! I like the paranoid Clark, it was cool. Lots of mystery surrounding the silver kryptonite, where did it come from, who sent it. Lana knowing about the ship and Clark not knowing she knows, Lex's feelings for Lana, Lionel all sorts of cool shit going on. Kick ass when Professor was dueling with Clark, awesome!

What I don't get it, why doesn't Lex just put up some surveilence cameras on the ship? He would easily see Professor Milton Fine by the ship. Whatever.

Great shout out to the comics in this eppy, when Lionel was talking about Lex possibly being President, in the comics he is.

I'm confused. In an earlier thread someone said that Fine was Brainiac, as revealed by some other source. Granted, Smallville is creating the Superman mythology anew, but Fine sure is acting more like Eradicator than Brainiac. Plus, Brainiac isn't from Krypton. I guess we'll see as time goes on.
This is a great point, here are some notes on both

Eradicator

Originally a sentient device invented by Kem-L, a kryptonian ancestor of Superman. The Eradicator was designed as a weapon against the Cleric, and as a device that ensured the genetic purity of kryptonians. It had many powers, one being able to alter the genetic makeup of all kryptonians so that they would be unable to live anywhere besides Krypton. Because of this introduced genetic flaw, the kryptonians who left with the Cleric all died. Also this meant no kryptonians could escape when Jor-El discovered Krypton's imminent doom. The Cleric gained control of the Eradicator and years later gave the artifact to Superman, who used it to teleport home from outer space. Superman, however, found the Eradicator's powers many and uncontrollable. One incident caused Jimmy Olsen to temporarily gain painful powers of elasticity. Deciding the Eradicator was too dangerous, Superman buried it in the Antarctic. Buried, the Eradicator secretly created a kryptonian Fortress and attempted to transform the Earth and alter Superman's mind to "transform" him into a kryptonian. When Superman discovered its' efforts he underwent the Kryptonian rite of passage and apparently had control of the Eradicator. However, the Eradicator continued to mentally attack Clark Kent, who only with the help of his adoptive parents defeated the device in the Antarctic, and Superman left the Eradicator in the sun apparently destroyed. Later, the Eradicator returned in a humanoid form again trying to convert Earth and Superman, before being apparently destroyed within the Fortress by Superman, helped by Prof. Hamilton. After Superman's apparent death, a being appeared known as the Last Son of Krypton. This being was revealed to be the Eradicator. The Eradicator's dissipated energies had reformed in the Fortress and when finding Superman dead, used his body's solar energies to convert mass from Superman's tomb into a body for the Eradicator. Then, the Eradicator had taken Superman's body to the Fortress of Solitude where the body slowly revived within an energy matrix. After Superman revived, he with the Eradicator and other heroes fought the Cyborg Superman. When the Cyborg Superman tried to use kryptonite energy to destroy Superman the Eradicator released its' energy to restore Superman. The body of the Eradicator was taken to Metropolis' S.T.A.R. Labs where a dying scientist (Dr. David Connor)'s experiments caused his mind to transfer into the Eradicator's body. This new Eradicator has worked with the heroes known as the Outsiders.

However when the Fortress of Solitude was destroyed in the wake of Superman's attempt to rule the world (Superman: King of the World) a duplicate Eradicator program tried to re-assert its will on the Eradicator, driving him to an attack on Stryker's Island (MOS #97) before the Eradicator managed to gain control of himself once more (thanks to Superman and Steel) and decided to exile himself in space to prevent harming anyone and to move out of the duplicate program's influence. However when Brainiac 13 started causing havoc in Metropolis on New Year's Eve 2000, the Eradicator returned to help Superman. Together they raced to the ruins of the Fortress of Solitude to stop the duplicate Eradicator program from joining with the B13 technology. The Eradicator merged with the Eradicator program and shot himself into deep space, away from earth (MOS #98).

Months later the Eradicator returned to earth to warn Superman about the approach of Imperiex, however rash moves by Professor Hamilton saw the Eradicator angered into taking matters into his own hands. Superman use the Theta state which keeps the Eradicator distracted with a giant projection, Superman flies into the Eradicator's body and uses their psychic link to flood the Eradicator with images from the other (new) Krypton. Unable to comprehend the thoughts assaulting his mind, the Eradicator begins to break up, separating the bulk of the remains of the Fortress from the body of David Connor. Gathering up the wreckage, Superman and S.T.R.I.P.E. return to the Steelworks where they employ the absolute zero chamber to freeze him (MOS #114).

He was later released, reveling in battle and attacking Majestic. After several battles, Eradicator came to trust Majestic, and aided him in repelling Daemonites.

When the arctic Fortress of Solitude was destroyed, the Eradicator unwittingly became trapped within the rubble, finally being released thanks to John Henry Irons. Confused and angered, the Eradicator attacked both Superboy and Superman, before being knocked out by an OMAC unit.

The Eradicator remains a strange and uneasy ally to the Man of Steel.

Brainiac

Brainiac (Vril Dox) was once a scientist on the planet Colu. Because of his genius, Dox was allowed to serve the planet's computerized tyrants. Attempting to overthrow the tyrants and rule Colu himself, Dox had invented a teleporter. Discovering his plan, the tyrants used the teleporter on Dox, apparently killing him. But Dox's mind survived and eventually came to Earth when it was found by the Amazing Brainiac (Milton Fine) a circus mentalist with latent mental powers. Dox fought to control Fine's body and while doing so found that combining his and Fine's mental powers allowed for amazing feats that caused several psychic battles with Superman. Fine's identity was almost destroyed by Dox who now completely controls the body and has great mental powers, partly due to an implant supplied by Lex Luthor. Brainiac's body and mental powers became even stronger after Luthor tried to control him in a psionics lab, where Brainiac instead managed to control Luthor and other LexCorp employees, and had his body modified. After fighting Superman, Brainiac flew into space, later returning to Earth with Warworld to battle Superman and a team of superheroes. Metron took away the defeated Brainiac. After Superman's return from near death, Brainiac escaped New Genesis and showed increased mental powers by making people think a body remained in Superman's tomb, in an effort to drive Superman insane. Afterwards, Brainiac was transferred to a psychiatric hospital in an attempt to save Fine's personality. When Brainiac found out a 15 year old patient (Chas Cassidy) believed he was Superman, Brainiac reasserted control of Fine's body and managed to transfer his and Cassidy's minds into Superman's body, and transfer Superman's mind into Cassidy's body. Brainiac managed to use a device to take over the minds of everyone in Metropolis, before Cassidy and Superman stopped him.

Brainiac 13 Brainiac appeared again to battle Superman briefly (Superman: The Doomsday Wars mini-series 1999), and it was believed that he was destroyed in the encounter. The remains of his body were retrieved by a Coluan scientist, Prin Vnok, who transferred Brainiac's consciousness into Doomsday's body, retrieved from the end of time. He defeated the Justice League and took Pete Ross and Lana Lang's newborn son to grow into a more controllable Doomsday body. During a battle with Superman, his mind was ejected from Doomsday, allowing the monster to go on a rampage before being imprisoned by Superman and the JLA. Brainiac transferred his mind into a permanent robotic body (known as Brainiac 2.5), and escaped to an unknown location. New Year's Eve 2000 saw the return of Brainiac 2.5 who, in an attempt to upgrade his new robotic body, found himself unable to control the download of a future version of himself known as Brainiac 13. Brainiac 2.5 transfered his conciousness into Lena Luthor while Brainiac 13 brought about the complete upgrade of Metropolis to a futuristic hi-tech city. Brainiac 13 was finally trapped by Superman's use of Kryptonian technology, but not before B13 convinced Lex Luthor to sacrifice his daughter as an avenue of escape in return for the "keys" to the new Metropolis (Superman Y2K [4 part storyline]).

Brainiac 13 returned as a surprise villain at the exact time of the defeat of Imperiex. In command of a new War World, Brainiac 13 planned to syphon the world-destroying power of Imperiex for himself (SUP #173). However he was thwarted when Superman, pulled together a plan with Steel, Luthor, Darkseid and others, to push Warworld, B13 and Imperiex through a boom-tube to the beginning of time (ACT #782).

Brainiac later returned to aid Lex Luthor and a brainwashed Superboy in their assault on the Teen Titans and Outsiders through his "granddaughter" Brainiac 8, the secretly reprogrammed Outsider Indigo. His plan, hatched in part to preserve his homeword of Colu from its supposed destruction in the future by Donna Troy, appears to have failed.
Old 11-11-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the show tonight.

Fine is going to make a great addition to the show.

Lois with Lex, man is Clark going to be ticked when he finds out.

I believe Lionel is going to be the one who dies in ep 100.
Old 11-11-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know much about the Superman comics but in the Superman animated series Braniac is from Krypton. They could be using that version.
Old 11-11-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
A week after the 99th episode, of course.
Watch the next week be preempted by a very special episode of Related just to spite you!
Old 11-11-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know much about the comics as well, but I thought Braniac was a super computer entity from Krypton?
Old 11-11-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Damn - I thought they were going to fall out. She must really want to impress people at the Planet.
Old 11-11-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
They are throwing so many clues that he's the Eradicator that I don't see how it could be Braniac. Ecpecially after his "eradicate" line.
Old 11-11-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster

Overall, a good episode. The Kent's have more red trucks than Voyager had shuttles!

I dont want Chloe to be the one. Maybe it will be Lex?
I thought it was a pretty good episode but essentially it was the same scene over and over again with each person. You are betraying me and I am going to throw you across the room.
Old 11-11-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

RE: crashing the truck again

That didn't really happen did it? Wasn't that just Clark's first delusion?
Old 11-11-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
From Marsters' bio on his official web site:

This fall, James will join the cast of "Smallville" as Braniac, an android that will cause a severe riff between Clark and Lex. His return to network television promises to be a memorable one. Smallville premieres September 29th on the WB and can be seen weekly on Thursdays at 8:00pm.
Old 11-11-05, 11:33 PM
Suspended

I don't know much about the comics as well, but I thought Braniac was a super computer entity from Krypton?
^Did you read what I posted above? It gives the full history/origin of both Eradicator and Brainiac.
Old 11-12-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by animalmystic
^Did you read what I posted above? It gives the full history/origin of both Eradicator and Brainiac.
Yes, I read what you posted above. I still don't know much about the comics.
Old 11-12-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another for this episode - let's hope this is the quality level from here on in.
Old 11-12-05, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Puzznic
I don't know much about the Superman comics but in the Superman animated series Braniac is from Krypton. They could be using that version.
I think it was established early on before the season started that the Braniac that would be in the show would be mostly from the cartoon. The Eradicator doesnt exist in the cartoon, and the original Braniac from the comics was from another planet. The cartoon version essentially combined the 2 characters. Braniac's basic evil intentions, except they made him Kryptonian.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.