Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When are the Full-Screen DVD buyers going to start screaming they were swindled?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

When are the Full-Screen DVD buyers going to start screaming they were swindled?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 11:37 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

As wide-screen TVs become the norm, the full-screen customers who constantly complained about the "black bars at the top and bottom of the screen" are going to realize their perception was wrong and that much more of the image can be seen with widescreen TVs matched with widescreen DVDs.

When do you think they're finally going to realize that every DVD in their collection, when displayed on a wide-screen TV, has HUGE black bars to the left and right of the image (or if they "stretch" the image, all the actors look as short and fat!)?

I can already hear them complaining about the fact that they can't stand those black bars and that they can't see the entire picture.

My guess is that we should start hearing complaints soon now that wide-screen TVs are making their way into mass merchandisers like Wal Mart and KMart.

Do you think they'll be smart enough to realize the problem they created for themselves?
Old 11-08-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never. They'll just use one of the stretching modes to fill the screen. They didn't care about how the image looked before as far as cropping and even stretching (a common method employed in the creation of P&S transfers), and they won't care about the image being stretched in the future. All the talk I've heard over the years about impending anger once the switch to 16x9 sets is made is never to happen, I'd wager.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 11-08-05 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rich-y

Do you think they'll be smart enough to realize the problem they created for themselves?

I doubt it.
Old 11-08-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rich-y
As wide-screen TVs become the norm, the full-screen customers who constantly complained about the "black bars at the top and bottom of the screen" are going to realize their perception was wrong and that much more of the image can be seen with widescreen TVs matched with widescreen DVDs.

When do you think they're finally going to realize that every DVD in their collection, when displayed on a wide-screen TV, has HUGE black bars to the left and right of the image (or if they "stretch" the image, all the actors look as short and fat!)?

I can already hear them complaining about the fact that they can't stand those black bars and that they can't see the entire picture.

My guess is that we should start hearing complaints soon now that wide-screen TVs are making their way into mass merchandisers like Wal Mart and KMart.

I'd be willing to bet many of them will just stretch the picture. That is what my dad does when he watches regular Tv on his widescreen; it looks horrible, but he doesn't even notice.
Old 11-08-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You people are the ones being swindled. My full screen dvds will always fill up my screen, HD or not, and you will always be stuck with those stupid black bars.
Old 11-08-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm sure there will be some people that will look at it baffled for a moment, and just look for a way to stretch it. And some others WILL feel cheated, but eventually these people are just going to have to chalk it up to not educating themselves in the end, and they'll just buy whatever DVD's they purchase in the future as widescreen. Nobody but the consumer is to blame because 'full screen' DVD's fill the 'full screen' TV's, and 'widescreen' DVD's fill... wait for it... 'widescreen' TV'S!!!!!! I'm sure a lot of people at that time will put 2 and 2 together and chalk it up to their own ignorance, and I think there will be more people who can figure this out themselves after realizing how much of an investment they wasted, than the ones who still want to blame the companies. After all... they DID have the choice as to what size screen to purchase 95% of the time.
Old 11-08-05, 12:09 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think they'll get it. Maybe the studios will be silly enough to stretch the image out for them on Fullscreen versions.
Old 11-08-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Plus I bet fullscreen will still exist for those that complain about tiny black bars in 2.40:1 films. They'll either open the matte to 1.78:1 or crop the films to 1.78:1 and those that hate black bars wont care so long as their whole screen is filled.
Old 11-08-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The infomation regarding this has ALWAYS been out there for those 4:3 buyers -- in fact, in some cases we've tried to jam the information down their throats! I have no sympathy at all for these people -- screw 'em!
Old 11-08-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
The consumers will bitch and moan, as people just lack accountability for their own actions. Possibly even demand a worthless class-action lawsuit. In the end, they'll bend over and take the corporate servings they set themselves up for or just watch the terrible stretch mode.
Old 11-08-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Full-Screen dvd buyers with 16:9 tvs complaining about the black bars on both sides of the picture instead of on top and the bottom of the picture. What is this world coming to?
Old 11-08-05, 12:58 PM

They'll stretch it. They always stretch it... check out the TVs on display at Wal-Mart sometime... poor bastards.
Old 11-08-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They probably won't feel half as swindled as I do whenever a 4:3 (OAR) image is cropped and mutilated to create a fake widescreen image to cater to all of those "highly educated" viewers who now feel that EVERY film & TV show ever created should be shown exclusively in Anamorphic 16:9 Widescreen instead of it's intended original aspect ratio.
Old 11-08-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I am betting that the people who don't care about OAR and buy Full-Screen DVD's are mostly the same people who aren't bothered by stretching/distorting the images. So it won't really be an issue.
Old 11-08-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How interesting! Another WS vs FS topic!! Oh, and here's a twist... FS fans are being insulted!!!!
Old 11-08-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They won't feel half as swindled as I did when I found out Citizen Kane was Fool$creen only!
Old 11-08-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
They won't feel half as swindled as I did when I found out Citizen Kane was Fool$creen only!
And why they decided to have it in black and white and not include a 6.1 track is beyond mind boggling.
Old 11-08-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
And why they decided to have it in black and white and not include a 6.1 track is beyond mind boggling.
What about the DTS, man?
Old 11-08-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oddly enough, I really don't care what they think when they move to wisdescreen. That's their problem. I just hope that if they do start screaming, the manger has the good sense to ask them to leave the store. I refuse to shop anywhere that has people standing around and screaming. If, on the other hand, they choose to scream in the privacy of their own homes, then again, I really don't care.

I don't really understand all this concern for what others choose to buy. I never see people worrying about other people buying Levis, Hondas, Pepsi, generic drugs, or any other product. So why do we care so much about their DVDs.
Old 11-08-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How can people watch stretched 4:3 TV on a widescreen TV? It's retarded. Yet most people don't see a difference. I don't get it. The image looks fucked up to me. But they just sit their happily and never know the difference. My friend is like this. I told him the picture is fucked up and that the image is squashed but he doesn't see it. It's like he's blind to it.
Old 11-08-05, 02:00 PM
Suspended

oar is overratted
Old 11-08-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I never see people worrying about other people buying Levis, Hondas, Pepsi, generic drugs, or any other product.
No way, dude, Coke is the fullscreen of sodas, not Pepsi.
Old 11-08-05, 02:09 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I can't imagine too many people getting hyped to spend over $1,000 on a widescreen TV, but freaking out at the idea of buying widescreen DVDs. There'll always be exceptions, but I figure the vast majority of so-called full screen DVD buyers will be the ones holding off from buying widescreen TV sets until the absolute last possible moment.
Old 11-08-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by exharrison
What about the DTS, man?
There are rumours of a new 3-disc version that's to include a full rate DTS track, brand new CG effects, and the fabled "happy ending" that will be released next year in Australia. But, you know, PAL transfer.
Old 11-08-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mopower
How can people watch stretched 4:3 TV on a widescreen TV? It's retarded. Yet most people don't see a difference. I don't get it. The image looks fucked up to me. But they just sit their happily and never know the difference. My friend is like this. I told him the picture is fucked up and that the image is squashed but he doesn't see it. It's like he's blind to it.
I've seen this happen a lot. If you point it out they give you a look of "what the hell are you talking about?" and just ignore you.

I also remember when DVD players first came out, a friend of mine had his set to 16:9 on his 4:3 TV and he didn't notice something was wrong when everyone was stretched out. I asked him why he had it like that and he didn't know what I was talking about. When I showed him how to set it properly he was upset that suddenly his movies "looked smaller" and that I made the black bars bigger.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.