CBS, NBC to offer downloadable shows

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
CBS, NBC to offer downloadable shows

Didn't see this posted anywhere...

CBS, NBC to Offer TV Shows for 99 Cents Tue Nov 8, 7:04 AM ET

NEW YORK - CBS and NBC have announced deals to offer replays of prime-time programs for 99 cents per episode, shifting television toward a sales model that gained popularity with downloaded music.

CBS is teaming up with Comcast Corp. and NBC with satellite operator DirecTV to offer the on-demand replays.

NBC Universal will offer commercial-free episodes of "Law & Order: SVU" and other shows to subscribers of DirecTV Group Inc. who use the satellite company's new digital video recorder.

Comcast's on-demand customers in some markets will be able to view "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," "NCIS," "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race" at their convenience.

Terms of the deals, which were announced Monday, were not disclosed.

"This is an incredibly exciting evolution for CBS and network television — video on demand is the next frontier for our industry," CBS Chairman Leslie Moonves said of the deal with Philadelphia-based Comcast, the nation's largest cable systems operator. CBS, which is owned by Viacom Inc., announced last week it would stream episodes of its show "Threshold" over CBS.com.

The Walt Disney Co.'s ABC network offers downloads of several programs, including "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost," for $1.99 each via iTunes software from Apple Computer Inc.

Less than three years ago, Apple helped spur the explosion of legally downloaded music with its iTunes Music Store and iPod portable players — the latest versions of which now play video.

Comcast's service will be available starting in January to customers in markets with a CBS owned-and-operated television station, which includes the nation's seven largest media markets. The episodes will be available as early as midnight following a broadcast and will include commercials.

The DirecTV agreement includes shows that air on NBC, USA, Bravo and the Sci-Fi Channel, including "The Office" and "Monk." Episodes of the shows will remain available for one week after their broadcast. NBC Universal is a unit of General Electric Co.

DirecTV, which is based in El Segundo, Calif., and controlled by the media conglomerate News Corp., began shipping its new DVR this week. The device uses interactive software from NDS Group Ltd., another News Corp. unit, and is designed to transition the company from dependence on similar devices made by TiVo Inc.

"We are talking to the other networks and hope to reach similar agreements soon," DirecTV spokesman Robert Marsocci said Monday.

The new DirecTV DVR comes with a hard drive that holds 160 hours of programming. One hundred hours are available for subscribers to record and store programs. The remaining 60 hours will be used by DirecTV to download programs that can be viewed on demand for an extra fee.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051108/...demand_shows_3

When I heard this story on the radio this morning, I thought iTunes was expanding their video library. Guess not (just yet).
Old 11-08-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, I posted it about 45 minutes ago. And I wasn't even first. It was posted in the Theater forum (due to the DVR aspect) an hour ago.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444445
Old 11-08-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't remember the last time I ventured over to that forum. Sorry for the repost.
Old 11-08-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
If I can get HD through my cable company (Cox) I would use this service some. Like last night my DVR messed up and only recorded 13 minutes of Las Vegas.
Old 11-08-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
So are these shows commercial-free?

Edit:
Never mind. I read the full story and they said the NBC shows are commercial-free and CBS shows will have commercials.

Last edited by Quatermass; 11-08-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i sincerely hope this doesn't catch on. we all already pay for what's available for FREE in the form of TV on DVD sets. now we'll have to pay just to watch it.

besides, if you have a ReplayTV, you can already do those things (download shows from someone - in HD or reg) such as requesting a show you missed without a FEE!
Old 11-08-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Well, all those people w/o a phone connection hooked up are going to have to plug them back in. That's the only way that DirecTV will know you want a show.
Old 11-08-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
The good part I can see is not having to bow to advertiser pressure. Not just content, but runtime. They could let shows run for an extra minute or two if needed, and not have to chop it just to fit in more ads.
Old 11-08-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Comcast On Demand was usually free for people who had it. They are charging now? I always wondered why DirecTv did not have something similar but I guess now I know why: $.

I wish more networks would sign on to the ITunes model. I'd much rather have that available to download an episode I may have missed than to devote 60 precious hours on my DVR for stuff I likely would not watch.

Last edited by Jadzia; 11-08-05 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Comcast On Demand is a mixture of free programming and Pay Per Views.
Old 11-08-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I don't mind having the option to d/l shows. Especially since it is a legal way for some folks to get HD programming that can't get it through the regular channels.

I do have to say this is a dumb, dumb idea. So if you don't have DirecTV or Comcast you can't get CBS or NBC shows? Lame.

Everything should be in a central locale ala iTunes for this to succeed.
Old 11-08-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Fuck this...the next logical step is to flag these shows to not be recordable by DVR's to pump up sales...slippery slope people
Old 11-08-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't like this plan at all. first of all it is limited to specific customer sets (directv and comcast subscribers). secondly, this does not make the media any more portable. ITMS at least allows you to watch the show on your computer, your ipod, or connected to ANY TV.

i can only imagine the type of DRM they will try to employ for this.
Old 11-09-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hell, these shows have been downloadable for years now. Ain't that what the internet's for? And I can get the HD versions of Lost typically within 24 hours of original broadcast.
Old 11-09-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget that these programs are all self-destructing as they're stripping you of your ownership rights after you pay for it.

MythTV, which 'broadcast flags' will always be ignored, and Bit torrent are your best friends.