Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw NIN/QOTSA/Death From Above 1979 last night

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So last night, as an anniversary present for my girlfriend, I took her to see one of her favorite bands, Nine Inch Nails, with guests Queens from the Stone Age and Death From Above 1979.

Printed out directions from mapquest, and we were off. I never drove to the Sports Complex in Philly, so I was nervous, but I managed to get there just fine. The moment we got into the parking lot, we were accosted by people selling bootleg NIN shirts. Kind of funny, kind of sad. Got in line, were greeted by the guys walking around yelling for shrooms and hash..heh. I forgot how crazy the people wandering around outside a concert are.

We get inside and wander around the floor, which apparently are the seats to have. We're about 20 feet from the stage, and its lookign like we can see everything.

At 8, the first band, Death From Above 1979 came on. They're a two person band, bass and drum only. Reminiscient of the White Stripes, if they were Fused with early 90s Metallica. Very Very Very good. The bass hit so hard, it reinjured that chest muscle I pulled a few weeks back.Well worth it. Great band.
Here's a sample : http://s95145940.onlinehome.us/dl/0...story_Month.mp3

30 minute break, and then Queens of the Stone Age came on. I kind of like their CDs, so I figured they'd be good. They sucked. Giant ass. They were pretty much drunk or high, and only interested in getting the girls in the front row to get backstage. Godawful. I deleted my MP3 folder of them, because the live show was SUCH a disappointment. They played their one hit, and stretched it out over 14 minutes. Everyone in the crowd was looking at their watch.

30 minute break til 1030, then the lights went out, NIN's intro came on, and they put on an amazing 2 hours of music. I don't like NIN that much, but they put on a hell of a show. I was incredibly pleased with how into it the band was, and how into it the crowd was. Only a few assholes in the crowd ruined it for a bunch of people, by getting into fights, and trying to mosh with people who wanted no part of it. The majority of people just watched and nodded their hand and pumped their fists. And a lot of the girls did that bounce dance thing. (on a side note, the cute goth girl next to me, had her breasts hanging out , and everytime she bounced around, they popped out. They were quite nice )
They played the only 3 songs I really know and like , Closer, Hurt, and Head Like a Hole. They ended the show with Head Like A Hole, and it was just awesome. Everyone was yelling along, and Trent had the audience whipped into a frenzy.

Now my ears are muffled and have a slight ringing, but it was worth it. Well worth it.
Next time though, Im wearing ear plugs.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 11-06-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was there too! Had pretty good seats, first row in section 301, so we're diagonal from the stage, a level up. A bit far to see the artists but we could hear them loud and clear. I brought along some binoculars to be able to see DFA1979 play drums, keyboards, and guitar all at once.

I have to admit, I went to see Death From Above. Had they not opened I would not have gone. I don't really like Queens of the Stone Age, and I liked NIN a lot more when I was in high school (a decade ago) and before Trent Reznor ran out of ideas (a decade ago). I actually fell asleep during the QotSA set.

Overall, the whole show reminded me why I don't like going to stadium concerts.
Old 11-06-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome Bus! If you saw a big white guy and a short black girl, that was us. We were down in the floor area(as I stated above).

DFAwas downright awesome!
Old 11-06-05, 12:38 PM
Retired

Saw the same show in DC last week.

Was awesome. Queens were very good at this show, no talking with girls or what not, just straight kick ass rock.

NIN was mindblowing, but I"m a big fan.

Crowd was great. Was on the floor and there was no moshing, pushing to the front, or assholes anywhere around us.
Old 11-06-05, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad QOTSA sucked last night...I saw them a few years ago and they were fantastic...of course this was before "Noone knows" when most people didn't have a clue who they were.
Old 11-06-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn I would like to see Death From Above live....
Anyone see that time they were on Conan O'Brien?
Old 11-06-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Death from Above 1979 are alright, but not that great. I'd rather listen to Bloc Party than them if I want party music, but that's just me. Still, I'd much rather have had them than the opener at the concert I went to (Autolux).

So Thunderball, if you like QotSA's cds, what good would it to do delete their file? You'd still have the cds, right? You must mean you dumped the backup file of the cds you bought, right? Then again, I guess DVDTalk doesn't care if people admit to piracy and bootlegs. *shrugs*

I went to see NIN/QotSA a few weeks ago and they were awesome. QotSA were indeed the weakest part of that show, but they were in no way boring. And I dunno about you, maybe you have some extraordinary sensory capabilities, but I'm unable to notice EVERYONE in a concert hall while the concert is going on, to say nothing of noticing such a minute detail as them looking at their watches. But that's just me. That's one of my failings-- lack of omnipotence. :P Anyway, the biggest complaint I have for Queens is they weren't very active, didn't have a ton of stage presense. But oh well. For the most part, they rocked at the concert I went to.
Old 11-07-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I saw the show a little while back, when Autolux were opening. QOTSA sucked that night as well. Insulting the crowd with planned comments, pretty lame. While I couldn't see EVERYONE in the place, I did wander around with the girlfriend during most of their set, and most of the people I watched weren't into it either.

Nine Inch Nails rocked, though. Excellent show, excellent production, excellent sound.
Old 11-07-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

mifuneral :

I never said Death From Above was "party music" , I just said they were awesome at this show.

I downloaded the QOTSA discography to get a feel for them before the show. I do that with most groups. I've also ordered DFA1979's CD becaue I enjoyed it,and the show. So I'm not sure what your point on that was.

And you're right, I couldnt see everyone at the concert. But, no one was standing up in the seat area it appeared, The Bus fell asleep, and I saw a bunch of people looking at their watch.
Old 11-07-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thunderball
mifuneral :

I never said Death From Above was "party music" , I just said they were awesome at this show.

I downloaded the QOTSA discography to get a feel for them before the show. I do that with most groups. I've also ordered DFA1979's CD becaue I enjoyed it,and the show. So I'm not sure what your point on that was.

And you're right, I couldnt see everyone at the concert. But, no one was standing up in the seat area it appeared, The Bus fell asleep, and I saw a bunch of people looking at their watch.
RE: Death as "party music"-- that's my term, not yours.

RE: Downloading QoTSA. How does that justify the illegality of pirating music? If you want to "get a feel" for a band, you download a couple songs, not the entire fucking discography. Don't even try to justify it-- you were an idiot for posting it in the first place.
Old 11-07-05, 03:03 PM

yeah I was at the MSG show, QOTSA i found kinda boring compared to DFA1979, I find them very entertaining, a duo with just bass and drums is great, don't understand the comparison to bloc party though..the lights were kinda overdone I thought at some points, like the fragile setup more with the 3 big lcd's...but was a great show, different from the hammerstein setup, kinda miss jerome dillon, but the new drummer seems to be pretty good.
Old 11-07-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mifuneral : No, not really. And perhaps the "idiot" comment was a bit strong. So why don't you go have a cold shower and forget that "OMG ILLEGAL INTERNET USER" bullshit.

Anyway, I've gotten much more into NIN(about 10 years too late, I know), and I've OMG DOWNLOADED a bunch of their albums to check out. I'll be purhcasing them from djangos probably.
Old 11-09-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw NIN/QOTSA back on october 14th in saint louis when they were with Autolux. We were on the floor, dead center, about 20 feet from the stage. My friend and I both got caught up in a couple mosh pits against our will. It was insane, but awesome.

Autolux was good, but I would have LOVED to see DFA1979, as they're one of my favorite bands right now.
Old 11-09-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The act of downloading is illegal whether or not you then purchase the IP. The "checking out before buying" rationale makes some sense but is immaterial in the eyes of the law.
Old 11-09-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe anyone likes QOTSA. Seen them live 3 times (always as openers), and they sucked 3 times. The worst one was in 1999. They sucked worse back then.

Why would anyone like them is beyond me.
Old 11-09-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DamingR
I can't believe anyone likes QOTSA. Seen them live 3 times (always as openers), and they sucked 3 times. The worst one was in 1999. They sucked worse back then.

Why would anyone like them is beyond me.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've seen them live at least six times and have only been disappointed once.