movielib
11-04-05, 10:43 AM
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green/story/0,9061,1627500,00.html

Pauline Prescott tells judge of protest ordeal

Deputy PM's wife feared for life in Greenpeace raid

David Ward
Friday November 4, 2005
The Guardian

A judge yesterday condemned the "disgraceful behaviour" of eight Greenpeace protesters who stormed the home of the deputy prime minister, John Prescott, and erected solar panels on the roof.

At the end of a trial at Hull magistrates' court, the eight were found guilty of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour and also contravening a police direction. [What about trespassing and damage to property?! - movielib]

District judge Frederick Rutherford told them they had narrowly escaped prison and that he would impose community penalties. "Your defiance [of the police direction] shows a clear attitude towards breaking the law and an utter contempt for the rule of law - disgraceful behaviour.

"It would be very easy for me to say immediate custodial sentences would be an appropriate way to deal with you but I draw back from that."

The protesters were arrested after spending eight hours on the roof of the large detached house on April 26.

Mr Prescott was away but his wife Pauline told the court she thought the raiders were terrorists and had feared for her life. She had been forced to stay in her bedroom with her husband's secretary, Della Georgeson, during the raid. Mrs Prescott said: "I am a private person and what really did annoy me is that these people knew that my husband was on the campaign trail. They knew I was there on my own. That really was cowardly ... Terribly intimidating. Dreadful ... It has left me extremely nervous in my own property and it is no way to live, quite frankly."

Two armed officers described how they pointed their weapons at the first demonstrator over the gate who appeared "quite alarmed".

PC Wayne York said the man replied when challenged: "Don't shoot, don't shoot. We are from Greenpeace. This is a peaceful protest."

PC Paul Cameron-Johnson said he initially thought they were under attack. "God's honest truth is that I was terrified for the split second it occurred until I realised what was happening," he said. The two officers then put away their guns.

The Greenpeace activists each said they had no intention of causing anyone any harassment and did not know anyone was in the house. "Deliberately causing harassment, alarm or distress is against everything they stand for," said Francis FitzGibbon, defending.

The defendants were: Martin Cotterill, 38, of Penrith, Cumbria; Samuel Daniel, 33, of London; Catherine Dorie, 36, of London; Laura Yates, 28, of London; Steven Scott, 34, of Matlock, Derbyshire; Andrew Taylor, 36, of Stroud, Gloucestershire; Victoria Thomas, 27, of Bryn Rhydd, Powys; and Sarah North, 36, of London.

The judge ordered each of the defendants to do 80 hours of community service. He also ordered them to split the £3,900 prosecution costs between them.

kvrdave
11-04-05, 11:29 AM
PC Wayne York said the man replied when challenged: "Don't shoot, don't shoot. We are from Greenpeace. This is a peaceful protest."

It is an illegal peaceful protest. I say shoot the bastareds.

movielib
11-04-05, 11:34 AM

Yeah, I think they're commies too. ;)

kvrdave
11-04-05, 11:37 AM
:lol: oops.

Tracer Bullet
11-04-05, 12:26 PM

I don't know what they were so worried about. Most UK police officers don't carry guns.

al_bundy
11-04-05, 01:07 PM
they should have clubbed the bastards like a bunch of baby seals

movielib
11-04-05, 01:45 PM
I don't know what they were so worried about. Most UK police officers don't carry guns.
I thought that's changed.

Tracer Bullet
11-04-05, 01:56 PM
I thought that's changed.

Only in London, as far as I know.

Josh H
11-04-05, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I believe only in London. They don't have enough violent crime to justify the risk of improper shootings. The U.S. is pretty much alone in that regard among industrialized powers. ;)

Tracer Bullet
11-04-05, 02:04 PM
Probably Northern Ireland too, now that I think about it.

Goldblum
11-04-05, 02:23 PM
Time for a good ol' fashioned 25,000 volt tazing methinks. :up:

OldDude
11-04-05, 03:05 PM

PC Paul Cameron-Johnson said he initially thought they were under attack. "God's honest truth is that I was terrified for the split second it occurred until I realised what was happening," he said. The two officers then put away their guns.

WTF. In the US, if you breal into a person's home and that person fears for his/her life, you are likely to be shot and they are likely to get away with it.

If these cops are charged with guarding the Deputy PM's home, WTF would the cops put away their guns and allow the house to be overrun. A terrorist intent on killing everyone could just as easily say "This is a peaceful protest." Believing everything a criminal says is really quite stupid, and a handy way to die. The cops should be fired for dereliction of duty. (I doubt the Secret Service would respond in the same manner.)

al_bundy
11-04-05, 03:11 PM
in italy if someone breaks into your home you can beat them all you want as long as you don't hit them in the face. if you mess up their face, then they can sue you.

Oraphus
11-04-05, 04:53 PM
in italy if someone breaks into your home you can beat them all you want as long as you don't hit them in the face. if you mess up their face, then they can sue you.

this is where the whole "beat them with a bag of oranges" thing got started

:D

movielib
11-14-05, 06:46 AM
Here they go again:

http://www.mb.com.ph/PROV2005111249033.html

Greenpeace urges global offices to denounce attack vs members

By EDGARD HILARIO

Global environment watchdog Greenpeace yesterday has urged all its offices worldwide to write the Philippine government and denounce the use of "excessive violence" on some of its members by armed guards of a coal-fired power plant in Masinloc, Zambales on Thursday.

"The Philippine government and the National Power Corp. (Napocor) should be held accountable for the use of excessive violence against our members. So far, this is the worst to happen to our environment activists globally.

"The response is clearly disproportionate with the peaceful nature of the activity," Greenpeace international energy campaigner Tina Ronquillo said.

Some 20 Greenpeace members attempted to scale the fence of the Masinloc power plant compound to hang a banner reading "Stop Climate Change" in protest of the continued use of coal, pointed to as one of the cause of global warming.

The group said private security guards of the 600-megawatt power plant beat them with clubs, stones and even fired at them. A New Zealander was reportedly hit by a crowbar in the face and head while a Filipino was hit with a butt of an armalite rifle in the head.

Several others were also hospitalized for various injuries while the rest were hauled to a police station to face trespassing charges. They were later released.

"They were not really charged, but we’re now seriously considering filing charges of serious physical injuries against the Masinloc ground personnel. Some of our members require further hospitalization in Manila for injuries and trauma that have yet to manifest," Ronquillo said.

Ronquillo said that the Greenpeace "global family" has flooded the international headquarters with protests against the violent incident while some issued warnings to future Greenpeace members to be "extra-careful in their clean air and energy campaign in the Philippines."

"This is, by far, the most violent reaction we’ve received in pursuing the issue of clean air and energy use. This definitely puts the Philippines in a very bad light," Ronquillo said.

Greenpeace, however, vowed to pursue its campaign despite the incident with a series of activities in the country.

On Monday, Greenpeace and the FOCAP meet in a business forum at the Manila Hotel while its flagship the Rainbow Warrior opens to the public until Tuesday at Pier 16.

On Nov. 20, the Rainbow Warrior sails to Bacolod City for a meeting, and declaration of gratitude, to local officials for making Negros Occidental the only province in the country which refuses coal use.
Maybe I missed something but who initiated the force by trespassing?

movielib
11-14-05, 06:50 AM
And again:

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/climate/media/pressrelease.cfm?ucidparam=20051114081145

Greenpeace blockades Downing Street with tonnes of coal
14-11-2005
Volunteers block Dowing St with tonnes of coal

Greenpeace volunteers have this morning blockaded three entrances to Downing Street with several tonnes of coal in protest against Tony Blair's failure to tackle global warming.

The action comes as Tony Blair rows back on his commitment to the Kyoto Protocol. In a series of statements in recent weeks the Prime Minister has cast doubt on his long-term support for the global agreement, while British emissions of carbon-dioxide have risen since he came to power.

At 7.30am a truck emblazoned with the slogan 'BLAIR  CLIMATE FAILURE' arrived at the Horse Guard's Road entrance to Mr Blair's residence. Greenpeace representatives informed police officers what they were about to do before the vehicle tipped several tonnes of coal in front of the gates. Simultaneously fifty Greenpeace volunteers emptied sacks of the polluting fuel across the King Charles Street entrance and the access point on Horse Guards parade. A tipper truck with fourteen tonnes of coal, emblazoned with the slogan 'THINGS CAN ONLY GET WETTER' which was destined for the Whitehall entrance was stopped by police.

One of the volunteers, Stephen Tindale, a former environment advisor to New Labour and now the executive director of Greenpeace, said:

"We've blockaded Downing Street with coal because Tony Blair has failed on climate change. We hope he clears his diary and spends the day in his office working to strengthen Kyoto and cut British emissions, because so far all he's done is make speeches. They told us things can only get better, but Blair's burning more coal than ever, our CO2 emissions have gone up, he's set to miss his own global warming targets and now it seems he's trying to kill off the Kyoto Protocol."

Greenpeace today publishes a dossier detailing Blair's failures. It details how the Prime Minister has:

* Failed to reduce CO2 emissions  carbon-dioxide emissions have gone up since Blair became PM in 1997
* Sacrificed the climate in the face of industry lobbying - Blair is taking the EU to court after it prevented him from increasing the amount of CO2 British industry is allowed to emit
* Subsidised and supported coal, the most polluting of all fuels  Britain burns 7.5% more coal now than it did in 1997, simply because it is cheaper than (less polluting) gas
* Failed to stem the flow of wasted energy haemorrhaging from UK buildings
* Failed to end the scandalous waste of energy from the UK electricity generation and distribution system
* Instructed airports to expand despite the facts that aviation is a major contributor to climate change
* Failed to halt the growth in greenhouse gas emissions from traffic and embarked on a new road building program  while Ken Livingstone tackles emissions from transport the PM encourages car use
* Weakened international policies to tackle climate change  opponents of tough global emissions targets have welcomed Blair's recent statements

Negotiations for the second phase of Kyoto are set to begin in Montreal this month, but the Prime Minister has indicated he doesn't support the tough new climate change targets the agreement is designed to eventually deliver. In a speech this month Blair said: "The blunt truth about the politics of climate change is that no country will want to sacrifice its economy in order to meet this challenge." Lord May, President of the Royal Society, responded last week by saying: "The blunt truth about the politics of climate change is that countries are not doing enough to adapt their economies so that they reduce their greenhouse gas emissions."

The United Kingdom is one of those countries. Greenpeace's Stephen Tindale said:

"Climate change is already killing 150,000 people a year, hundreds of species are threatened with extinction and entire island states could disappear under water. We're facing a climate catastrophe, but Blair's back-tracking. He needs to act, and soon. He could cut emissions by burning less coal, getting right behind renewable energy schemes, dropping airport expansion plans, making cars use less fuel and making Britain's buildings more energy efficient."

AGuyNamedMike
11-14-05, 07:02 AM
"Deliberately causing harassment, alarm or distress is against everything they stand for."

:lol:

nemein
11-14-05, 08:13 AM
Greenpeace volunteers have this morning blockaded three entrances to Downing Street with several tonnes of coal in protest against Tony Blair's failure to tackle global warming.

Blair should thank them for the donation and give the coal to local homelss shelters ;)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0