Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Building a center channel by connecting a small pair of speakers together?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a pair of Klipsch SS1 speakers today on deep clearance; I didn't really need them, but I couldn't say no for the price. On the way home, I remembered a discussion somewhere on the internet about connecting a matched pair of speakers together to create a potentially cheap and great sounding center channel speaker.

Is this feasible? Would I connect in series or in parellel?

Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.....
Old 11-04-05, 08:22 AM

If you connect them in series, you will double the impedance. Connected in parallel, the impedance is halved.
Old 11-04-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
But would combining a pair of very decent speakers yield a decent center channel, if wired correctly?

I had been led to believe that a center is very similar in nature to a pair of speakers placed right next to each other, just shielded and in a single cabinet........
Old 11-04-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would you combine them? Just use one of them as a center. A center channel is not like two speakers put together - it's more like one speaker oriented horizontally instead of vertically
Old 11-04-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jobronie
I had been led to believe that a center is very similar in nature to a pair of speakers placed right next to each other, just shielded and in a single cabinet........
A center channel is a single speaker, how many drivers it may or may not have does not make it a pair.

Use just one to avoid impedance and phase shifting problems
Old 02-07-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't do it. You're introducing all kinds of phase issues. There's a good chance you'll cancel more frequencies than you'll boost trying that. Placement would be VERY critical, and since you want directionality out of a center channel, I would advise against it.

If you want more output out of your center I'd just boost the output in your receiver (or turn down the mains). Plus you're only talking 3 dB by doubling the sources, which isn't worth the headache when you can just turn it up a bit.