Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone here get HBO on Demand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here get HBO on Demand?

I got home tonight and my useless cable providers left me a message that I was now getting this at no extra charge. Im a total Pessimist so Im a little weary that its really free cause I tried it out and chose a movie, I chose Catwoman, even though I wasnt ready to see it or anything.

When I played it though it told me I have till Nov 3, midnight to enjoy. Why would I get it for a day if its free? Why is there a time limit? This makes no sense to me as Im not ready to watch it at all.

Im researching it now, but am not really finding anything. Also, from what Ive read, theres a small monthly charge. Nothing about it bieng free.

Any help from you with this channel for awhile would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and it seems this isnt even HD or surround sound. Widescreen yes, but not anamorphic. Lame...
Old 11-02-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I have HBO on Demand from my cable company. The content changes periodically so the deadline could be when it is pulled from the available selection. Or if you have a cable DVR box like me, I imagine it downloads it onto the box and then just sets a deletion/expiration date so it isn't there indefinitely.

I do not get charged for using it because I'm a subscriber but non-subscribers pay based on what they demand I believe. I have Mediacom.
Old 11-02-05, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I have HBO on Demand from my cable company. The content changes periodically so the deadline could be when it is pulled from the available selection. Or if you have a cable DVR box like me, I imagine it downloads it onto the box and then just sets a deletion/expiration date so it isn't there indefinitely.

I do not get charged for using it because I'm a subscriber but non-subscribers pay based on what they demand I believe. I have Mediacom.
I have Time Warner and I have a regular box for HD. No DVR box. I also found out I have Music on demand and this kicks ass! Im seeing an old George Harrison video from the first tape I ever bought! For this, theyre giving me 15 mins, not even 24 hours. I also have Cartoon Network now and a whole bunch of other crap on demand. This would be neat if I could only figure out this time limit thing.
Old 11-02-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have it and it is indeed totally free if you subscribe to HBO. Any fee you pay is probably tied to the digital box and not to OnDemand itself (or atleast thats how mines works).

The 24 hour thing is the amount of time you have to start watching it from where you stopped watching last. So if you stop Catwoman at 15 minutes in you have 24 hours to start watching at 16 minutes, otherwise it would start over again. OnDemand does this for everything.

They're pretty good about letting you know well in advance if something you're trying to watch will give you charges though, so you should be ok.
Old 11-02-05, 09:57 PM

Thats cool!

Have you guys used the Music on Demand? Theres not that many songs at all. Do they switch it everyday or weekly or monthly? What about other on Demand like TNT, TBS, Comedy Central, etc?
Old 11-02-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I don't know about TBS or Comedy Central. Charter On Demand just recently added a limited amout of material from MTV.

The non-pay channels really don't have too much of an incentive for offering free commercial-less on demand viewing, since they get most of their revenue from advertising. With pay channels like HBO, they're happy as long as they have your monthly subscription.

The best free On Demand I've seen is from Starz. They offer some of their on demand titles in widescreen, as well as unrated/extended cuts.
Old 11-03-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have Comcast HD and On-Demand and it's great, especially for HBO series. I have the movie package so I have a ton of movies available... BUT

None in HD. So I don't use it as much as I could.
Old 11-03-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
HBO On Demand is great - I basically caught up with Deadwood S1 (prior to S2 aired) because of it.
Old 11-03-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
I have Comcast HD and On-Demand and it's great, especially for HBO series. I have the movie package so I have a ton of movies available... BUT

None in HD. So I don't use it as much as I could.
I have Comcast as well. Do you have the two-tuner box with built in DVR?
Do you have the 30 second commercial skip programmed in?

Agree about the HBO series in OD. This week I have been checking out some episodes of The Wire from HBO OD. Great stuff!