DVD Talk
Maryland Democrats throw Oreo cookies at black Republican. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Democrats throw Oreo cookies at black Republican.

grundle
11-02-05, 03:43 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20051101-104932-4054r.htm

'Party trumps race' for Steele foes

By S.A. Miller

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

November 2, 2005

<b>Black Democratic leaders in Maryland say that racially tinged attacks against Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele in his bid for the U.S. Senate are fair because he is a conservative Republican.

Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log.

Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report -- the only Republican candidate so targeted.</b>

But black Democrats say there is nothing wrong with "pointing out the obvious."

"There is a difference between pointing out the obvious and calling someone names," said a campaign spokesman for Kweisi Mfume, a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

State Sen. Lisa A. Gladden, a black Baltimore Democrat, said she does not expect her party to pull any punches, including racial jabs at Mr. Steele, in the race to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes.

"Party trumps race, especially on the national level," she said. "If you are bold enough to run, you have to take whatever the voters are going to give you. It's democracy, perhaps at its worse, but it is democracy."

Delegate Salima Siler Marriott, a black Baltimore Democrat, said Mr. Steele invites comparisons to a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside because his conservative political philosophy is, in her view, anti-black.

"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said. "His politics are not in the best interest of the masses of black people."

During the 2002 campaign, Democratic supporters pelted Mr. Steele with Oreo cookies during a gubernatorial debate at Morgan State University in Baltimore.

In 2001, Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. called Mr. Steele an "Uncle Tom," when Mr. Steele headed the state Republican Party. Mr. Miller, Prince George's County Democrat, later apologized for the remark.

"That's not racial. If they call him the "N' word, that's racial," Mrs. Marriott said. "Just because he's black, everything bad you say about him isn't racial."

This week, the News Blog -- a liberal Web log run by Steve Gilliard, a black New Yorker -- removed a doctored photo of Mr. Steele that depicted him as a black-faced minstrel.

However, the blog has kept its headline "Simple Sambo wants to move to the big house." A caption beneath a photo of the lieutenant governor reads: "I's Simple Sambo and I's running for the Big House."

A spokesman for the Maryland Democratic Party denounced the depiction as being "extremely offensive" and having "no place in politics or in any other aspect of public discourse," The Washington Post reported. Democrats have denied any connection to the News Blog.

Still, Mfume spokesman Joseph P. Trippi said Mr. Steele opens himself to such criticism by defending Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. for holding a Republican fundraiser in July at the all-white Elkridge Club in Baltimore.

"The facts are the facts. Ehrlich went to that country club, and Steele said it didn't bother him," Mr. Trippi said. "I think that says something ... and should be part of this debate."

Several club members told the Baltimore Sun that, though blacks are welcome as guests and there is no policy banning blacks from membership, the club never has had a black member in its 127-year history.

Democrats also have used the club for various events, including Peter O'Malley, brother of and adviser to Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley, a Democratic candidate for governor. Peter O'Malley held his wedding reception there in 2003.

State Sen. Verna Jones, Baltimore Democrat and vice chairman of the General Assembly's legislative black caucus, said black Republicans deserve criticism because the Republican Party has not promoted the interests of the black community.

"The public policies supported by Democratic principles are the ones that most impact the African-American community," she said. "I'm not saying [Mr. Steele] is a sell-out. That's not for me to say."

In July, however, Mr. Mfume noted how Republicans were rallying for Mr. Steele but his party had ignored his historic candidacy. "More voters in Maryland are carrying the impression that the Democratic Party talks the talk, but doesn't always walk the walk. People may find a way to cross over in the fall," he said.

Steele campaign spokesman Leonardo Alcivar said state Democrats are afraid of losing the black vote to Mr. Steele.

"That has caused a great tremble throughout the Maryland Democratic Party," he said. "Of course [they are] going to condone racism. It's nothing new, and it's not surprising."

Red Dog
11-02-05, 03:44 PM
People such as Steele, Condi Rice, and Justice Thomas aren't considered 'black' anymore.

Groucho
11-02-05, 03:46 PM
But he's so well spoken!

natesfortune
11-02-05, 03:51 PM
Ah, the "party of peace" strikes again.

mosquitobite
11-02-05, 03:51 PM
"The public policies supported by Democratic principles are the ones that most impact the African-American community," she said. "I'm not saying [Mr. Steele] is a sell-out. That's not for me to say."

Big difference between IMPACT and IMPROVE. ;)

LiquidSky
11-02-05, 04:14 PM

Ah, and someone likes painting with broad strokes. :rolleyes: There are lunatics on BOTH sides. Example: during the election, a church sponsored youth group in my parent's home town had a scavenger hunt. The list contained John Kerry signs....which they promptly collected and burned at a bonfire. Should I go around believing that *all* Republicans would do this?

Nesbit
11-02-05, 04:21 PM
Yes. Yes you should.

OldDude
11-02-05, 05:06 PM
Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log.

Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report -- the only Republican candidate so targeted.

But black Democrats say there is nothing wrong with "pointing out the obvious."

Black leaders behaving like poop-throwing monkeys instead of civilized human beings? That's a great way to improve the image of blacks in American culture.

It's also odd that black leaders disapprove of a black man being successful and "part of the system" even more than the Klan does.

Could that be racist. No, impossible, they're black. :lol:

Th0r S1mpson
11-02-05, 06:12 PM
Unbelievable that this sort of thing would be publicly accepted by any minority group.

Myster X
11-02-05, 06:12 PM
Shit like this always happen when certain blacks become successful and wander off.

BKenn01
11-02-05, 06:31 PM
There are lunatics on BOTH sides.

Yes, but the extreme minority is in control of the Democrats.

BKenn01
11-02-05, 06:33 PM
Shit like this always happen when certain blacks become successful and wander off.

Yea, heaven forbid someone succeed without government help.

nemein
11-02-05, 06:48 PM
This is the best the intellectually superior side can come up w/ :lol: Can't say it really surprises me at all.

kvrdave
11-02-05, 06:54 PM
"That's not racial. If they call him the "N' word, that's racial," Mrs. Marriott said. "Just because he's black, everything bad you say about him isn't racial."

However, this only applies one way. :lol:

Oh come defend this, my liberal friends.

Really no different than how "feminists" treat successful conservative women.

DVD Polizei
11-02-05, 07:02 PM
I'm surprised they didn't throw charts at him.

Rockmjd23
11-03-05, 12:06 AM
Of course the Reps would just throw Bibles back ;)

Myster X
11-03-05, 12:39 AM
Maybe this was posted in SC nominations thread already.
Thomas is NOT black anymore.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47167

Clarence Thomas not a real black?
Paper arguing for court 'diversity' wants asterisk by his name

In an editorial arguing for "diversity" on the U.S. Supreme Court after the nomination yesterday of Samuel Alito, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel suggested Justice Clarence Thomas doesn't count as a black.

The daily's editorial board, lamenting the choice of a man to replace Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, opined today: "In losing a woman, the court with Alito would feature seven white men, one white woman and a black man, who deserves an asterisk because he arguably does not represent the views of mainstream black America."

The paper said the Alito nomination is "troubling" because "it's liable to divide America" and "it lessens the extent to which the court mirrors the nation's rich diversity."

The editorial board said O'Connor "seems to have grown wiser about diversity as a result of her Supreme Court experience. She came to see the virtues of having a court that looks like America doubtless a big reason she softened her opposition to affirmative action in recent years."

Last December, a conservative black group asked for an apology from Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid for criticizing Thomas purportedly because he doesn't, as an African American, adhere to Democratic Party policies.

Asked about Thomas as a possible chief justice, Reid said in an NBC "Meet the Press" interview, "I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court."

Without providing details or evidence, Reid said, "I think that his opinions are poorly written. I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice."

Wendell Talley of the national leadership network of black conservatives, Project 21, responded, "Senator Reid has revealed the intolerance found on the political left for minorities who do not reside on their ideological plantation."

Talley noted Thomas "has been in the public eye for approximately 15 years and conducted himself with integrity."

"Reid seemed to be around just 15 minutes before he made a fool of himself," Talley said. "He should apologize to Justice Thomas for his comments."

Project 21 member Mychal Massie, a WND columnist, said he considered Reid's comments to be "among the boldest and most unambiguously racist public attacks since the day when lynchings were commonplace and Orval Faubus and Bull Connor openly used their political power to keep blacks down."

"The fact that Justice Thomas may become our nation's first black chief justice is a tremendous civil rights milestone, but it will be a tremendous step backward if he were undermined simply for being a black conservative," Massie said. "Not only will it hurt Justice Thomas personally, but it could stifle future generations of black Americans from expressing independent and diverse political opinions."

mseang
11-03-05, 01:40 AM
Suddenly, out of nowhere, all republicans rejoice that the Washington Times is always 100% factual and unbiased. The Liberal Media is dead. (This rule does not apply to any stories mentioning Valerie Plame, The Niger Documents, or any other scandal that applies to our current administration.)

Seriously, there are nut cases on both sides of the political landscape as stated above. Currently, the Republicans are doing their best to please their fanatical wing and their really is no one in charge for the Democrats, although I believe this is changing.

Democrats as a whole do not support this, just as Repunblicans as a whole do not support murdering Abortion Doctors.

Rockmjd23
11-03-05, 01:41 AM
Democrats as a whole do not support this, just as Repunblicans as a whole do not support murdering Abortion Doctors.
'Repunblican' leadership didn't muder abortion doctors.

Shoveler
11-03-05, 02:43 AM
Ah, and someone likes painting with broad strokes. :rolleyes: There are lunatics on BOTH sides. Example: during the election, a church sponsored youth group in my parent's home town had a scavenger hunt. The list contained John Kerry signs....which they promptly collected and burned at a bonfire. Should I go around believing that *all* Republicans would do this?

Seriously, there are nut cases on both sides of the political landscape as stated above. Currently, the Republicans are doing their best to please their fanatical wing and their really is no one in charge for the Democrats, although I believe this is changing.

"There is a difference between pointing out the obvious and calling someone names," said a campaign spokesman for Kweisi Mfume, a Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate and former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

State Sen. Lisa A. Gladden, a black Baltimore Democrat, said she does not expect her party to pull any punches, including racial jabs at Mr. Steele, in the race to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes.

"Party trumps race, especially on the national level," she said. "If you are bold enough to run, you have to take whatever the voters are going to give you. It's democracy, perhaps at its worse, but it is democracy."

Delegate Salima Siler Marriott, a black Baltimore Democrat, said Mr. Steele invites comparisons to a slave who loves his cruel master or a cookie that is black on the outside and white inside because his conservative political philosophy is, in her view, anti-black.

"Because he is a conservative, he is different than most public blacks, and he is different than most people in our community," she said. "His politics are not in the best interest of the masses of black people."

Seriously, do you defenders of this blatant racism believe the line you're selling, or are you just digging in your heels and refusing to budge? You are willing to sit back and tolerate vile, racist remarks from leaders and elected representatives who happen to be Democrats just because they are directed at a Republican?

Can you not see that they are attempting to maintain and enforce a racial stereotype? They are saying that black people vote and think like Democrats, therefore anyone who acts or thinks differently is not black. How is that any better than any other stereotype about African Americans (or any other race, for that matter)?

And you try to defend it by pointing out fringe behavior on the Republican/conservative side??? Give me a break! Republicans, as a whole, condemn the murder of abortion doctors. Please show me the mass of Democrats condemning this behavior.

DVD Polizei
11-03-05, 04:24 AM
Of course the Reps would just throw Bibles back ;)

...:D

classicman2
11-03-05, 07:49 AM
Yes, but the extreme minority is in control of the Democrats.

The only difference being - the extreme minority in the Republican party is a little more acceptable to the general election voter than the extreme minority in the Democratic party - assuming we're speaking of the presidential election.

One can argue that the real leader of the Democratic Party is Hillary Clinton (and of course, Bill ;) ). Do you consider her/him to be the extreme minority? One may not agree with the political philosophy that John Kerry adheres to; but, I don't believe one can reasonably argue that Kerry is of the extreme minority.

BTW: Would you consider Tom DeLay to be of the extreme minority?

Addendum: I sometimes find Nancy Pelosi to be rather obnoxious, and I certainly would have preferred someone else to be the leader of the Democratic Party in the House; but, I don't see her to be a member of the extreme minority.

Does the extreme minority in the Democratic Party have too much influence in the party - yes.

Some will argue that the extreme minority in the Republican Party has too much influence in the party.

LiquidSky
11-03-05, 07:55 AM
Seriously, do you defenders of this blatant racism believe the line you're selling, or are you just digging in your heels and refusing to budge? You are willing to sit back and tolerate vile, racist remarks from leaders and elected representatives who happen to be Democrats just because they are directed at a Republican?

Can you not see that they are attempting to maintain and enforce a racial stereotype? They are saying that black people vote and think like Democrats, therefore anyone who acts or thinks differently is not black. How is that any better than any other stereotype about African Americans (or any other race, for that matter)?

And you try to defend it by pointing out fringe behavior on the Republican/conservative side??? Give me a break! Republicans, as a whole, condemn the murder of abortion doctors. Please show me the mass of Democrats condemning this behavior.

I am not defending these actions in the least. For you to quote my original post that was in direct response to an idiotic statement and refer to me as a "defender" of this type of behavior is nonsense.

I do not sit back and tolerate racism. I think it is vile.

I am not so partisan that I am blinded to what is wrong. As I said, there are people on BOTH sides who are so blinded that they will follow anything that they perceive is on their "side" and I think it is disgusting.

Their behavior is horrible. It reminds me of when whites poured catsup on the heads of blacks while they were having sit-ins at the Woolworth's lunch counter back in the 1960s.

How am I "defending" these actions by pointing out that BOTH sides have over-zealous idiots? I believe Republicans/Conservatives do the exact same thing when fringe groups bomb abortion clinics, etc. Do I think ALL Republicans/Conservatives condone this type of behavior? Certainly not. So, perhaps you are the one who needs to give me a break.

Duran
11-03-05, 08:21 AM

I must have missed the part of this where Democrats advocated war.

I'm not a Democrat nor am I liberal, and I think this behavior is disgusting. There is a serious issue that could be debated - Steele defending Ehrlich's decision to have a fundraiser at an all-white club (what the hell was Ehrlich thinking?). Serious debate does not involve calling someone "Uncle Tom" or throwing Oreo cookies at them.

Red Dog
11-03-05, 08:44 AM
Serious debate does not involve calling someone "Uncle Tom" or throwing Oreo cookies at them.

Well, maybe Double Stuffs.

Tracer Bullet
11-03-05, 08:53 AM
Well, maybe Double Stuffs.

What about fudge-covered Oreos? What political statement would that make?

Red Dog
11-03-05, 09:05 AM
What about fudge-covered Oreos? What political statement would that make?

Blacks are out to take over the world? ;)

Duran
11-03-05, 09:12 AM
Blacks are out to take over the world?

I think it's more like [Chasing Amy]"deep down inside, we all wants to be white!"[/Chasing Amy]

Th0r S1mpson
11-03-05, 09:12 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Angry white kids have begun throwing S'mores at Eminem, saying he's white but wants to be black and is dividing the race. The snack item consists of chocolate and a marshmallow packed nicely between two crackers.

Goldblum
11-03-05, 10:09 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Angry white kids have begun throwing S'mores at Eminem, saying he's white but wants to be black and is dividing the race. The snack item consists of chocolate and a marshmallow packed nicely between two crackers.
:lol:

OldDude
11-03-05, 10:21 AM

So, would a white supremecist just throw 'Nilla Wafers?

Bandoman
11-03-05, 10:24 AM
We need to learn the lesson of the black and white cookie.

http://www.yummydelights.com/Merchant2/images/stock/bwc.gif

wendersfan
11-03-05, 10:42 AM

http://www.yummydelights.com/Merchant2/images/stock/bwc.gifLet <i>that</i> be our last battlefield.

Red Dog
11-03-05, 02:33 PM

http://www.yummydelights.com/Merchant2/images/stock/bwc.gif

Let that be our last battlefield.

Sorry I prefer....

http://gristmill.grist.org/images/user/867/BlackWhiteCookie.jpg

Bandoman
11-03-05, 02:35 PM
Sorry I prefer....

rotfl

Come to think of it, the black and white cookie appears to support "separate but equal." Hmmm.....

JasonF
11-03-05, 04:20 PM
Look to the cookie!

crazyronin
11-03-05, 05:50 PM
Sorry I prefer....

I don't know whether to

rotfl
or
:sarcasm:star trek geek:sarcasm:

:D

Giantrobo
11-04-05, 05:04 AM
This kinda shit is just depressing.....

Shoveler
11-04-05, 02:57 PM
How am I "defending" these actions by pointing out that BOTH sides have over-zealous idiots? I believe Republicans/Conservatives do the exact same thing when fringe groups bomb abortion clinics, etc. Do I think ALL Republicans/Conservatives condone this type of behavior? Certainly not. So, perhaps you are the one who needs to give me a break.

I eliminated a lot of your post for brevity, but wanted to acknowledge and agree that you are clearly opposed to these actions. I didn't omit that portion of your post in an attempt to obscure that fact. :)

However... when natesfortune made a somewhat blanket statement about the "party of peace", you suggested that he was painting with too broad a brush, right? Well, I view that as a defense of the "party of peace", and in this case, I don't find natesfortune's statement unreasonable. The statements being discussed in this thread were made by active Democrats, either elected or serving on staff. This is completely unlike your example of a lunatic with a gun who happens to be a registered Republican. Furthermore, the complete and deafening silence from all other Democrats, the utter failure to condemn these remarks, constitutes a guilt by association which would otherwise be missing if the sources of these quotes were private citizens, celebrities, or independent officials.

Revisit Trent Lott's statements about Strom Thurmond. Let's not argue about whether they were or weren't racist, or whether they were blown out of proportion. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that they were blatantly racist, OK? As blatantly racist as these current remarks. Then you would expect a similar condemnation of the current remarks as was provoked by Lott's remarks. I'm not talking about people like you and me, I'm talking about elected officials who expressed outrage and indignation and offense at Lott's remarks. The absence of a consistently outraged reaction in this case can only be taken as silent approval and endorsement, which is why the entire Democrat Party much be held accountable.

So I guess that when I was criticizing you for putting forth a defense, I will agree that you weren't defending the remarks, but you were defending a party that appears to accept the remarks without opposition. And that, to me, is equally indefensible.

BKenn01
11-04-05, 06:10 PM
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Awesome quote!

General Zod
11-04-05, 06:25 PM
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw
That is a great quote :up: Pretty much sums up what's going on here. Just change government to party.

JasonF
12-02-05, 01:13 PM
Turns out, no so much ...

Ehrlich bristles at Oreo skeptics
Account of Steele pelted by cookies in '02 under scrutiny
By Andrew A. Green
Sun reporter
Originally published November 13, 2005
Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. said yesterday that he is angry at "revisionism" from political opponents who question a much-repeated story about Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele being pelted with Oreos during a 2002 campaign debate in Baltimore.

Versions of the story have been repeated over the years by Ehrlich, Steele and their supporters in describing what they call a pattern of racial slights against the black Republican, and accounts of the event have spread widely.

Speaking on Stateline with the Governor on WBAL-AM yesterday, Ehrlich said he would not tolerate questions about the veracity of the incident.

"This revisionism is real dangerous. And to the extent anyone is out there now saying, 'Well, no, those Oreo cookies really weren't thrown at Mike Steele, that's now an urban legend, whatever, made up by the Republicans,' I mean these people have got to get real," Ehrlich said.

Paul Schurick, Ehrlich's communications director, said last week that he saw people passing out packages of the cookies outside Morgan State University's fine arts center before the debate and that when Steele entered the auditorium about 15 minutes before the start, people let fly with the cookies.

"It was raining Oreos," Schurick said. "They were thick in the air like locusts. I was there. It was very real. It wasn't subtle."

As for those who question the story, Ehrlich said yesterday: "They're not going to be able now to reinvent something that a lot of people saw. Just go ask people who were there."

Several debate attendees, however, could not corroborate Ehrlich and Schurick's version of events.

"It didn't happen here," said Vander Harris, operations manager of the Murphy Fine Arts Building at Morgan State. "I was in on the cleanup, and we found no cookies or anything else abnormal. There were no Oreo cookies thrown."

The incident is said to have occurred when Steele walked to his seat before the debate started, not during the event on stage when it would have been captured on video. Newspaper articles and television news reports from that night didn't mention it, and representatives of the news departments at television stations WBAL, WJZ and WMAR and Maryland Public Television said they have no video of the incident.

News reports of the event, which was sponsored by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, extensively described the raucous and sometimes rude behavior of the crowd - especially by supporters of Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, the Democratic nominee for governor. At one point, Kweisi Mfume, who was then head of the NAACP, interrupted the proceedings to implore the crowd to calm down.

The first reference to the Oreo incident came five days later in an article in The Sun in which Schurick, then a spokesman for the Ehrlich campaign, said Townsend supporters distributed the cookies in the audience. He also said the crowd booed Ehrlich's family - a detail that was reported on debate night - and scratched the paint on Ehrlich supporters' cars with their keys.

Clint Coleman, a spokesman for Morgan State who was at the event, said he saw lots of unseemly behavior but no Oreos.

"There were a lot of things, disturbances, by this group of outsiders who were bent on disrupting the debate," Coleman said. "But I never actually saw Oreo cookies being thrown at him."

As for "raining Oreos," Coleman said, "I can tell you that did not happen."

Neil Duke, who moderated the event for the NAACP, said last week that he didn't see any cookies.

"Were there some goofballs sitting in [the] right-hand corner section tossing cookies amongst themselves and acting like sophomores, as the legend has it?" Duke said. "I have no reason to doubt those sources; I just didn't see it."

Wayne Frazier, president of the Maryland-Washington Minority Contractors Association said he watched Steele walk into the auditorium that night but saw no Oreos.

"I was there the whole time and did not see any of the so-called Oreo cookie incident," Frazier said. "It could have happened and I didn't see it, but I was in the auditorium from start to finish."

Steele was quoted in two articles that appeared in the next day's newspaper talking about the pro-Townsend crowd and what he called race-baiting by her campaign, but he said nothing about cookies.

Three weeks later, Washington Post writer George F. Will wrote in his column that "some in the audience had distributed Oreo cookies." That day, while campaigning at a Jewish day school in Pikesville, Ehrlich told the audience that Townsend supporters threw the cookies at Steele.

Just before the election, the London Daily Telegraph said that Steele "was bombarded with Oreo cookies" during the debate. Most reports that month, however, referred to cookies being "passed around."

After the election, Steele told a writer for the Capital News Service that an Oreo rolled to his feet during the debate.

"Maybe it was just someone having their snack, but it was there," Steele told the news service. "If it happened, shame on them if they are that immature and that threatened by me."

Most of the accounts in the past few weeks have described Steele being "pelted" by Oreos. Ehrlich said on WBAL radio that his father was hit in the head by one of the cookies. Schurick also said Ehrlich's father was hit. Schurick would not make Robert L. Ehrlich Sr. available for an interview yesterday.

Steele campaign spokesman Leonardo Alcivar said last week that the cookies "were clearly thrown at the lieutenant governor." He said Steele would not respond to questions about the event.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/politics/bal-md.oreos13nov13,0,6788452.story

I particularly like the headline. It's not "Republican Governor lied about racial incident," it's "Republican Governor mad that he's being called on his lies." That wacky liberal media.

grundle
12-02-05, 02:43 PM
I was wrong.

Democrats did not throw Oreos at a black Republican.

JasonF
12-02-05, 03:34 PM
I was wrong.

Democrats did not throw Oreos at a black Republican.

Not your fault -- if only the media would do its job by actually investigating this stuff instead of just reporting every accusation as if it were news.

Still, very big of you to make the post you did. I don't agree with you on much politically, but I'm always impressed by what a class act you are.

Red Dog
12-02-05, 03:40 PM
Meh. I stand by previous poltical statements: Condi, Michael, and Clarence still aren't considered black and I prefer the black on the right/white on the left B&W cookies.

JasonF
12-02-05, 04:35 PM
Meh. I stand by previous poltical statements: Condi, Michael, and Clarence still aren't considered black and I prefer the black on the right/white on the left B&W cookies.

True -- the black community does have a tendency to consider conservative blacks as somehow not being "true" blacks. I happen to think liberal ideology is more to the benefit of the majority of blacks, who are disproportionately poor, but there's certainly room to disagree, and it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Condi simply because she disagrees. Liberal black leaders should do a better job attacking the ideas of conservative blacks (and conservatives of all colors) and knock off attacking the blackness of conservative blacks.

The more interesting thing (to me, anyway) about the way this story has developed is that it's yet another case of the media reporting something without any investigation. Politician A makes an accusation, Politican B denies the accusation, and the media runs with it. That's not reporting -- it's stenography. How about doing some investigation? The media should have tracked down the veracity of Ehrlich and Steele's claims before rporting them, not two weeks later.

General Zod
12-02-05, 04:54 PM
I think this is yet another example of the media attempting to make a story out of nothing. Is there madness and resentment at this black republican? Yes. Did anyone really throw cookies at him? Well.. we don't know but we've got someone who said it happened to let's just go ahead and publish it and make a huge stink - it'll bring in readers. Who cares about journalistic integrity or research? Sell those papers..

I blame this on ALL media both Liberal and Conservative. It's almost like news is being invented more often than it is really happening.

grundle
12-03-05, 04:35 PM
Not your fault -- if only the media would do its job by actually investigating this stuff instead of just reporting every accusation as if it were news.

Still, very big of you to make the post you did. I don't agree with you on much politically, but I'm always impressed by what a class act you are.
Thanks.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0