Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Sexual Innuendo-Help!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have an informative speech I have to give about corruption, etc... in children's media & I'm trying to compile a list of sexual innuendo, audio, pictures, animation, etc... that are in disney films. For example, the word "sex" in Lion King, The erect priest in Little Mermaid, the topless woman in Rescuers.

I'm also looking for any other blatant (or subtle) "adult" themes in children's media (besides obvious ones like Shrek). Any help would be appreciated.

Ideally I would love for a link to a site that lists the problems and has either pictures, audio, or videos. I've already checked out Snopes.com disney page, so any other website would be a major help, thanks.
Old 11-01-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about doing something on marketing to kids? like joe camel
Old 11-01-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

aladdin....good teenagers take off there clothes....

good tiger take off and go.

google disney hidden sex
Old 11-01-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be sure to visit www.snopes.com to make sure you're not just following wives tales.
Old 11-01-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Sounds like you he is following wives tales.
Old 11-01-05, 06:40 PM

I'm trying to speak about actual facts, not wive's tales. I've already checked out snopes & was hoping some other type of website existed. From my research it looks like Snopes has all the Disney stuff covered, though. The rest of my speech is going to delve into other issues, like adult animation vs. children's animation and book burning. Basically corruption and misinformation in children's media.

And j123vt_99, thanks for the advice. I didn't think about that
Old 11-01-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
what about doing something on marketing to kids? like joe camel
If you mention how Joe Camel looks like a man's genitals, you can kill two birds with one stone
Old 11-01-05, 08:42 PM

For one of my classes last semester I read Consuming Kids, a really interesting book about the corruption of marketing to children and turning them into consumers at a young age. This might not entirely what your looking for, but definitely worth looking at. You'll never look at the American Girls the same way again.
Old 11-01-05, 08:49 PM

sexual innuendos and adult themes corrupt children's entertainment? It's not as if they're subconsciously taking it in. Your examples sound like little throw-ins by the animators for the adults that are dragged along to these movies.

To stay with your topic--The only other one I can remember is in Aladdin, there's apparently a moment of simultaneous speech between aladdin and jasmine that is supposed to sound like "take off your clothes".
Old 11-01-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think everyone is pretty much just going to repeat what is already on Snopes. It has everything covered.
Old 11-01-05, 11:14 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Roger Ebert's Answer Man Column addressed the issue of sexual innuendo all throughout Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I thought there was plenty in there for a G-rated movie, too, but apparantly the MPAA did not.
Old 11-01-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But do kids pick up on any of this stuff or just the adults.

I remember some kids down the street watching "Shrek" and they missed everything that was aimed at the adults.

I remember missing tons of stuff in movies when i was a kid only to watch them later and be like "Wow, i can't believe i missed that."

And i used to watch "Robocop" and "Revenge of the Nerds" type stuff was i was younger.
Old 11-02-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
But do kids pick up on any of this stuff or just the adults.

I remember some kids down the street watching "Shrek" and they missed everything that was aimed at the adults.

I remember missing tons of stuff in movies when i was a kid only to watch them later and be like "Wow, i can't believe i missed that."

And i used to watch "Robocop" and "Revenge of the Nerds" type stuff was i was younger.

Yeah, i used to watch Revenge of the Nerds when i was around 7, definitely not for kids. It might be where i saw my first full naked woman now that i think about it.

I was watching the Clarissa Explains It All DVD and she mentions how Revenge of the Nerds is her favorite cult movie. I can only imagine how many little kids convinced their parents to rent it.
Old 11-02-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"We've got bush!"

A line from "Revenge of the Nerds" that no matter how many times i watched it when i was younger I never understood what the hell he was talking about.

Today its quite clear.

So it still makes me wonder...are kids really picking up these things that adults see or are kids only seeing these things because adults point them out?

I never knew that preist in "The Little Mermaid" had an erection and i never knew the castle had a penis for a tower until someone pointed it out to me years later.
Old 11-02-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
penis-shaped castle towers

Old 11-02-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's always Pinoccio who gets turned on by lying and gets more wood.

Sorry, was that too far?

Well.. I guess there may be "Alice in Wonderland" and drug type stuff. .. but then I realize you want 'sexual' innuendo, and not other stuff..!

Last edited by reverie; 11-02-05 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The priest doesn't have an erection. It is quite obviously his knee. The tower was an unfortunate accident (not caused by a disgruntled artist, but an inattentive one); the smoke says "SFX" (Special Effects), not "SEX"; the topless woman in the Rescuers was real though, but was an inside joke that got out. All this stuff is in the Snopes link.
Old 11-03-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Numanoid; 11-03-05 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-03-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In one of my classes we just watched "Mickey Mouse Monopoly," which while flawed in many regards did present several unique points.

It focused on the racial, misogynistic aspects of Disney movies. Now, this might not be what you're looking for... but it could be as well.

Some of the things pointed out were how Belle kept going back to the Beast eventhough he kept abusing her and how kids thought that was alright.

Another aspect focused on how the movies relied on racial stereotypes to create characters.

Again, this might not be what you're looking for, and it had major flaws, but it might be worth tracking down
Old 11-03-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
What about the book
The Seduction of the Innocent
The author was a nutjob though, and made tons of ridiculous conclusions.