DVD Talk
Why Do Democrats in the Congress Use Charts More Than Do the Republicans? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Democrats in the Congress Use Charts More Than Do the Republicans?

classicman2
11-01-05, 10:37 AM
If you watch CSPAN & CSPAN 2 you're aware of the prolific use of charts and graphs by the Democrats, but you see very little use of them by the Republicans.

The lingering question for me is - WhY?

I've reluctantly come to the only logical conclusion I believe one can reach.

The Democrats are out in the open with their presentation. They want a public airing of the issues. The Republicans are trying to hide something.

:)

X
11-01-05, 10:40 AM
I usually use charts when I want to easily lead someone's lazy mind to my conclusion. I use only words when I want them to think about it a little more.

But maybe that's just me. Perhaps the Republicans have something against Kinko's.

Nazgul
11-01-05, 10:40 AM
I ususally use charts when I want to easily lead someone's lazy mind to my conclusion. I use only words when I want them to think about it a little more.

:lol:

Th0r S1mpson
11-01-05, 10:48 AM
Maybe they're more (gasp) right-brained?

JasonF
11-01-05, 11:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/JFliegel/Chart.jpg

joshd2012
11-01-05, 11:49 AM
:lol: @ Jason F

Two possible reasons:

A) Republicans are too stupid to understand anything beyond shapes and colors
B) Republicans are too stupid to make charts

:D

classicman2
11-01-05, 11:55 AM
I seem to notice that the party out of power seems to have more charts to visually demonstrate (a picture is worth a thousand words) just what a lousy job the party in power is doing. ;)

neiname
11-01-05, 12:11 PM
If you watch CSPAN & CSPAN 2 you're aware of the prolific use of charts and graphs by the Democrats, but you see very little use of them by the Republicans.

The lingering question for me is - WhY?

I've reluctantly come to the only logical conclusion I believe one can reach.

The Democrats are out in the open with their presentation. They want a public airing of the issues. The Republicans are trying to hide something.

:)

Charts hide data

wendersfan
11-01-05, 12:14 PM
Anyone remember last year when Dennis Kucinich used charts during a radio debate? :lol:

classicman2
11-01-05, 12:18 PM
Anyone remember last year when Dennis Kucinich used charts during a radio debate? :lol:

Do you, as a resident of Ohio, get the distinct impression that Dennis is not the brightest nickle on the block? ;)

By the way - does he represent your district? :)

General Zod
11-01-05, 12:20 PM
Bringing out charts was a tactic we learned in debate class to try to focus attention on just a few pieces of an issue. If it's not in the chart it must not be relevant, right? Charts were usually used as a last resort when you felt that you were not getting your point across at all, which is exactly why I think the Democrats are using them so much.

classicman2
11-01-05, 12:27 PM
I believe charts are often instructive. Sen. Conrad (ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee) uses charts quite effectively to show how the Repubs (in total charge of the appropriations process) have run up huge deficits - as far as the eye can see. What's wrong with that?

General Zod
11-01-05, 12:32 PM
Nothing at all. However, I don't think he needs to have a chart for it.. it's pretty obvious.

classicman2
11-01-05, 12:34 PM
The Republican Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee denies it.

Today, in total embarassment, he asked the chair for regular order when Conrad was making his presentation - joined by Sen. Sarbanes.

wendersfan
11-01-05, 12:39 PM
Do you, as a resident of Ohio, get the distinct impression that Dennis is not the brightest nickle on the block? ;)I'm sure he means well. :)
By the way - does he represent your district? :)His district is in Cleveland, I live in Columbus. My congressman is Pat Tiberi, representative of Ohio 12.

classicman2
11-01-05, 12:50 PM
Is Columbus solidly Republican?

kvrdave
11-01-05, 12:59 PM
I blame Ross Perot. I expect Democrat will soon start using infomercials as well.

wendersfan
11-01-05, 01:07 PM
Is Columbus solidly Republican?Columbus proper is overwelmingly Democratic, but the suburbs are solidly Republican. There are two districts that encompass Columbus, Ohio 12 and Ohio 15. They are districted in such a way that Columbus is split between them, with each district containing enough of the surrounding suburbs to tilt them both Republican.

lordwow
11-01-05, 06:15 PM
Charts are simply used to presuade others using only samplings that positively reinforce your point of view.

In other words, you don't see a Defense Lawyer presenting evidence that would help the prosecution.

No chart is going to tell the whole story, and just because someone has a chart doesn't mean they're telling you more. It just means they're trying to illustrate their own point.

Tommy Ceez
11-01-05, 06:22 PM
Because charts, like Senate Democrats, are fucking boring

classicman2
11-01-05, 06:43 PM
You do agree that, on the whole, Democratics in the Senate are more intelligent than their Republican counterparts, don't you? ;)

Tommy Ceez
11-01-05, 07:18 PM
You do agree that, on the whole, Democratics in the Senate are more intelligent than their Republican counterparts, don't you? ;)
no, just hahn

DVD Polizei
11-01-05, 10:28 PM
Republicans don't need charts. They have the Bible to prove their facts.

X
11-01-05, 10:30 PM
Republicans don't need charts. They have the Bible to prove their facts.I think we have a problem that needs addressing here.

Myster X
11-02-05, 12:27 AM
Charts are more compasionate than talking alone. It's a good thing that Democrats use charts. I hate to see them go on the podium and talk. Their face always tend to turn tomato red and filled with anger. They always take out on the podium by pounding their fist on it. You don't see that from a Republican.

classicman2
11-02-05, 06:39 AM
Charts are more compasionate than talking alone. It's a good thing that Democrats use charts. I hate to see them go on the podium and talk. Their face always tend to turn tomato red and filled with anger. They always take out on the podium by pounding their fist on it. You don't see that from a Republican.

You weren't watching the Repubs talking yesterday, were you? ;)

Myster X
11-02-05, 02:14 PM
Rare occasion I would say. The Democrats constant theatric crescendo is prevalant.

LiquidSky
11-02-05, 04:19 PM
You weren't watching the Repubs talking yesterday, were you? ;)

:lol: Poor little Billy Frist. :lol:

DVD Polizei
11-02-05, 06:15 PM
I think we have a problem that needs addressing here.

Democrats using charts to justify their politics or the Republicans using the Bible to justify theirs.

classicman2
11-02-05, 07:12 PM
Does everyone of your posts have a reference to religion - negative?

DVD Polizei
11-02-05, 09:05 PM
When it's a fact. Yes.

Name a positive from a Republican-(or even Democrat) endorsed law which has religion correlated with it.

In addition, how has religion helped this country in a positive way.

Religion divides and creates more enemies. Being a historian that you are, and having much more experience with it than I have, you should know this.

And finally, most of the Bible (and Qu'ran) is about punishment. Do this or you will be punished. In fact, most of the Bible gives negative stories about people who went astray. Very few positive stories about people who were rewarded for their good behavior. The Bible and Qu'ran are co-dependent guilt-tripping books which keep people afraid and in fear.

Feel free to argue this in another thread.

-----------

In any case, I really haven't seen indications that Democrats are using charts more than Republicans. But that's just my biased observations coming out in the midst of a totally unbiased Political Forum. :)

Chaos
11-02-05, 09:22 PM
how has religion helped this country in a positive way.

my God, you are making this TOO easy!

- Like it or not buddy, one of the primary reasons this country was founded was because of religion
- God is enshrined in the documents that define our country
- mans right to freedom and the pursuit of happiness is ordained by God
- many of our greatest Presidents, Republican and Democrat alike, have been religious (to varying degrees, but they still believed in religion)
- like it or not, the Ten Commandments have laid the foundation for laws and codes throughout history; they've provided a basic framework to start from, thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, etc - good rules to live by, regardless of religion or belief

I could go on easily, religions has moved the entire course of civilization and the world; in Gods name have great empires risen and fallen, inspired by God have MANY of our greatest authors written their works, many of our greatest authors of history held their religion close to them, you can see religions influence throughout the history of the world and the books written throughout it . . . but I'll end it here. You shouldn't bash something that gave you the freedoms and the literature richness you enjoy today; stop being so damn ignorant and read a little and educate yourself to what has impacted this country and the world.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing,
Drink deep or touch not the Pierian Spring

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0