Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you Feel about studios releasing DVDs during theatrical runs??

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How do you feel about studios releasing DVDs at the same time as their theatrical run
I agree-my HT is just as good as good as the local theater\I can save some $
40.63%
I disagree-There's nothing like seeing a movie in the theater
34.38%
I don't go to the theater-I wait for it to come to DVD
15.63%
Undecided\Other
9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't sure how to search for this, so I hope there isn't a thread-if so, crucify me. I just wanted to hear everybody's thoughts about studios releasing DVDs at the SAME TIME as the movie's theatrical run.

I don't necessarily agree with it, as it ruins the 'magic' of seeing a movie in the theater, but with rising ticket costs and better improvements in home-theatres I can't help but feel like this is almost inevitable. I don't think that movie studios will do this on big releases, but I feel as if this could be possible in the coming few years for some lesser movies. I mean, look at some of this summers releases-they're already out on video in less than 6 months. The 40 Year Old Virgin DVD was completed at the same time as the theatrical run of the movie!

As much as I love watching a movie anytime I want in the comfort of my own living room, there's nothing like watching a movie in the theater with a group of a few hundred like-minded people. Anyways, what do you all think?

Oh, and what prompted me to start this thread was an article about M. Night Shyamalan's opposition to this:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...n-speaks_x.htm

Last edited by neocheddar02; 10-29-05 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-29-05, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't mind it. Maybe I go to the wrong theaters, but I believe owning a dvd for under $20 and watching it as many times as you want plus special features is a better deal than going to a movie theater, spending $10+ to see the movie once with a bunch of out of control teenagers.
Old 10-29-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I don't mind it. Maybe I go to the wrong theaters, but I believe owning a dvd for under $20 and watching it as many times as you want plus special features is a better deal than going to a movie theater, spending $10+ to see the movie once with a bunch of out of control teenagers.
Old 10-29-05, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Old 10-29-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every movie is better on the big screen.
Old 10-29-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I agree with this 99% of the time.
Old 10-29-05, 10:07 AM
Retired

Nothing compares to the big screen. Maybe something like comedies or character studies matters less, but I don't watch many of those anyway really. Especially comedies.

A practical problem I'd see is if movies are put on DVD during the theatrical run, they'd almost assuredly be barebones with a double dip down the road making most of us want to wait anyway.
Old 10-29-05, 10:14 AM
Banned

Old 10-29-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

No necessarily true. I was just thinking about this when I was trying to decide if I wanted to see "North Country". What finally made me decide against seeing this in the Theater was the fact that it's just a Drama. What reason is there to see it on the Big Screen? Nothing will be missed on my 30 inch 16:9 if I get it on DVD.

Many dramas and comedies are just fine on dvd. They don't need to be seen on the Big Screen like Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Horror films.
Old 10-29-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'll agree that for pure viewing, a home theater can't compare with a [well-run and calibrated] big screen.
But real life intrudes--if I had to choose between making arrangements, buying tickets, getting a babysitter, buying popcorn [I know, optional, to me it's part of the theatre experience], dealing with the crowd, not being able to pause when Nature calls, sound usually being too loud, not having subtitles, having to go at their showtimes, etc, versus renting a dvd or buying it for about 15 bucks, watching it on my bigscreen tv with HT on my comfy sofa at night, watching it at my convenience, and possibly being able to resell that same disk for not much less than I paid for it, usually the home experience wins.
Some movies are definitely more 'impressive/powerful' in a theatre, and certainly a home theatre can't replace it. [primarily, like was just said, sci/fi, horror, action--"big, loud" movies]. But all things considered, I lean much more toward dvd/home theatre.

I don't have a problem with dvd's released during theatrical runs, with the caveat that someone else mentioned, it would probably be a barebones and then later one we'd get the 'special edition.' Although nowadays, there's really no excuse for that [except money], since you know the dvd is being planned for most films as it's being filmed for the theatre.
It would be a way to maximize their revenue--I think [but of course cannot prove] that most people who would rent/buy that simultaneously-released DVD, would be less likely to see the movie in the theatre anyway. Big fans would see it in the theatre, and hey, what about selling the DVD in the theatre itself, you get X$ off if you buy it right then and take it home? There's already virtually an exodus from theatres, so I don't think it would cannibalize their own revenue/customer base that much.
Old 10-29-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they do. Personally I don't like going to the theater anymore because you can't enjoy it. Place is full of hoodlums no matter what movie you see. Prices are just plain crazy. My at home experience outwheighs the theater experience. But that is just me.
Old 10-29-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Why bother with movie theaters then? Just fuck NATO altogether and not bother with the theatrical run.
Old 10-29-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With people constantly talking during the movie and cell phones ringing, I'm finding myself not going unless it's an event type picture.

The ones not bothered by those 2 negatives are likely the ones that sneak into a theater and watch the movie for free, as discussed in another thread...
Old 10-29-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
No necessarily true. I was just thinking about this when I was trying to decide if I wanted to see "North Country". What finally made me decide against seeing this in the Theater was the fact that it's just a Drama. What reason is there to see it on the Big Screen? Nothing will be missed on my 30 inch 16:9 if I get it on DVD.

Many dramas and comedies are just fine on dvd. They don't need to be seen on the Big Screen like Sci Fi, Fantasy, and Horror films.
What he said. Out of the rest of the movies for 2005, I really want to see "Walk The Line", "Narnia", "Kong", "The Libertine" and "Harry Potter".

I'm waiting for DVD for "Walk The Line" and "The Libertine" because they are just dramas with a lot of talking heads i.e. no epic visuals that'll take advantage of a giant screen.
Old 10-29-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I voted Undecided, as it really doesn't matter to me.
If it's something I'll want to see in the theater, I'll go to the theater. (i.e. KONG)
If it's something I'll want to see on DVD instead, I'll just buy/rent it. (i.e. Walk The Line)

It might be better for the studios, though, to release them at the same time as it might curb bootlegging a little (?) I know some people who end up with the movie on DVD when it hits the theater, maybe they'll be more inclined to go rent the legit version instead of buying a boot at the swapmeet?
Old 10-29-05, 11:58 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind if they're released early, the theatre's charge too much anyway and there's always noisy assholes around.
Old 10-29-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For some reason I can't even fathom them getting away with dual releases. If they the studios tried to release a simultaneous DVD, at least at this point, I can see the theaters refusing to play the movie in their theaters at all.

I remember when the theaters were making a huge stink over that From Justin to Kelly movie, saying they'd pull it completely if they went with the less than 4 week window they originally were gunning for.
Old 10-29-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know it'd be a bad situation for movie theaters, however I would rather sit down and watch a movie on my home projector, rather than blowing more than the price of the DVD to go to a smelly theater w/ rude/loud patrons. I feel more this way every time I get dragged to a theater, especially during the night time, when ticket prices are higher and the crowds are worse. I'd much rather settle down with my wife and/or friends and have a nice group experience in the quiet of my home, refreshments are cheap, and guess what, I can pull it off the shelf and watch it again later!
Old 10-29-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish they would do this for the first two weeks of release as a way to drive traffic to theaters.
Old 10-29-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

to me, while there are some movies that should be seen on the big screen (spider man, star wars, etc), most of the time nowadays, i don't go to the theater much. i much prefer to get the dvd and watch it on my 65" HDTV. the whole experience of movie going has sunk low because of all of the typical reasons. noisy crowds, expensive tickets, crappy movies, etc.
Old 10-29-05, 03:15 PM

I'm really split about the whole theater/DVD issue. Frankly, I find myself having less and less time to sit down and watch things, and while I might feel guilty watching something at home while I could easily be hitting the books, at the theater, one can at least escape for the length of the movie. On the other hand, when I just end up buying most of what I wanted to see on DVD anyway, it seems like a waste of money buying tickets at the theater when I could just wait a few months for a DVD.
The audience experience of seeing certain movies is lost, but for the most part, I find that I could live without modern audiences. Being 22, I've found that most of the time I'm much more irritated by the older people in audiences. Small children that don't know any better, I can accept (unless their parents have dragged them to an entirely inappropriate movie). 40 and 50-something couples that feel the need to ask what's going on, fall asleep snoring, or exclaim the name of the actor that they didn't know was going to be in the movie, like when I went to Good Night and Good Luck this week and heard "Robert Downey, that's Robert Downey," are the things I just am losing all patience for.
I really find myself going to the theater for the same reason I need to get the DVD on the release date...instant gratification.
Old 10-29-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I would prefer if they kept things as-is. To me, you can't beat seeing something in a good theater. As far as being bothered by others, i never really have that problem mostly because i usually wait at least a few weeks after release to go see something, that way there aren't many people there.
Old 10-29-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Those who want a DVD at the same time of a theatre release should never ever ever wonder why theatre box office takes are lower this year than last.

Theatres are dying because of the DVD window being lowered and companies cranking them out faster.

Personally, I don't need a dvd even six months after the theatre run. Give it a year before I see it again. I'm a theatre goer and I love to see films in that format. Hell, I pay for theatre screenings of shit I have on DVD already.
Old 10-30-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Theatres are dying because of the DVD window being lowered and companies cranking them out faster
This is far from the only reason theaters are losing money.

In the early days, movies were ways to fill empty theaters; later, the studios established their own theater chains, which were broken up in an antitrust decision in the late '40s. When television cut into movie attendance, the studios -- after initial resistance -- got into TV production, which is now more profitable than theatrical films.
Another cyclical trend.

Hollywood executives are thinking along the same lines. "Ten years from now, we'll release a film and you'll be able to consume it however you want," Sony Pictures Digital Vice Chairman Yair Landau told Newsweek.
Why should a studio care how it makes money? Profit is profit. I believe that selling the dvd release for two weeks only at the theater would bring traffic in! Theaters should be embracing this!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...oday.overview/
Old 10-30-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd be all for this. Let the people choose. Those who want the big screen experience can have it, those who just want to see the movie can do so. I'm sure this will never happen. With movies people actually want to see anyway. Theatrical movies have become a coming attraction for the DVD, especially GOOD movies. Why give up theatrical revenue when you're going to get the DVD sales anyway?

They only way I can see this happening is for crappy movies where they'll want to get as many sales as they can before word of mouth gets out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.