DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Great Raid: Theatrical version Fullscreen Only

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 08:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Great Raid: Theatrical version Fullscreen Only

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/press.html

The Great Raid will be available in two seperate editions: The Theatrical version(Single disc in Full Frame aspect ratio) and a
Director's Cut Edition(2 disc in Widescreen aspect ratio) with full novel The Great Raid on Cabanatuan by William B. Breuer included.
Old 10-27-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've heard about the theatrical cut, you'd be better off getting the DC. Although with the amount of time it was shelved, you'd think it would be the most perfectly-edited film in history.
Old 10-27-05, 08:45 AM

I thought only Universal liked to release their Theatrical cuts in fullscreen only and their unrated cuts in fullscreen/widescreen
Old 10-27-05, 08:48 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I'll probably check out the director's cut -- never saw the theatrical.
Old 10-27-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The press release indicates that the director's cut is 2 minutes shorter than the theatrical version. While this isn't completely unheard of, it is notable enough that it's not just a version that tosses in a few additional gory bullet wounds. The running time issue says to me that the theatrical cut was a compromise version that Miramax pushed for, for whatever reasons, but now they want to use the director's preferred version on DVD to take advantage of the marketing potentials of using that term (along with encouraging the director to participate in the extras).

I'm hardly a fan of war films, but I caught this one with my dad, and we both enjoyed it a good deal. If anyone thinks it might appeal to them, I'd say check it out. It is fairly well-executed and engaging.

DJ
Old 10-27-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If this subject interests you, you should also try "Ghost Soldiers". Damn good movie. I haven't seen "The Great Raid" yet, but I plan to at least rent it b/c the trailers made it look very true to at least the story told in "Ghost Soldiers"
Old 10-27-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, "Ghost Soldiers" is a damn good book.
Old 12-23-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Great Raid directors cut (widescreen) is about $10 more than the full screen version. I wish they would have sold it without the damn book.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

= J
Old 12-23-05, 08:55 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
FYI, the Netflix version I got was 132 mins and was full frame
Old 12-23-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
The Great Raid directors cut (widescreen) is about $10 more than the full screen version. I wish they would have sold it without the damn book.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

= J
I decided to get this R3 version from CD Wow:

http://www3.cd-wow.us/detail_results...ct_code=255959

It appears to be the theatrical version (seems it probably doesn't make much difference) but it's 2 discs, 2.35:1 and has DTS (which R1 doesn't have). And it's just $14.95 shipped!

It's out on January 5.
Old 12-23-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course, to get it at the $14.95 price, you have to use this link

http://www3.cd-wow.us/index.php?affid=14275&pp_nr=1
Old 12-23-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Of course, to get it at the $14.95 price, you have to use this link

http://www3.cd-wow.us/index.php?affid=14275&pp_nr=1
I'm getting the $14.95 price when I click on my link in Post #10. I tested it and it worked and that's why I didn't post the "main" link.

Edit: This morning my link is showing $22.95. Must have been a cookie or something that was keeping it at $14.95 yesterday. Use Bill Geiger's link.

Last edited by movielib; 12-24-05 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The scenes removed from this directors cut are in the deleted scenes on disc 1 on the two disc set.
Old 12-24-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mao
FYI, the Netflix version I got was 132 mins and was full frame
Mine too. Ugh. I sent it back right away.

= J
Old 12-24-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I received this (the FS version) as a gift, but I can't say I blame the person who bought it. Aside from the WS version not even being available where it was bought, the FS version doesn't say it's FS on the cover. If I didn't know about there being two versions, I could see myself buying it accidentally too.
Old 12-24-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, Miramax, you really screwed the pooch on this one. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for the widescreen theatrical cut, I KNOW I'll find it.

Really though. The studios bitch and complain about piracy and then they go and do something to FORCE people to pirate the movie to get the version they want. Talk about ridiculous. $28.00 for a movie that I haven't seen. Good luck with that Miramax but you'll see some low sales figures on this one. That's almost TWICE the price of a typical new release. Oh well, I'll get the movie how I want......I always do.
Old 12-24-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Gift Set was just a lame excuse for them to move the books. I got this at Best Buy for 29.99 and would have much preferred taking the 14 dollar book out and paying only 15.99. Oh well! At least I didn't get the crappy 1 disc FS version.
Old 12-24-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was wondering why I couldn't find a WS copy of this. Now I know!

I'll hold out for the DC.

Last edited by FiveO; 12-24-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-26-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think I want to do a blind buy on this but really want to watch it. Does Hollywood video or Blockbuster rent out the WS version?
Old 12-26-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope.

= J
Old 12-26-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, that sucks. I guess I'll netflix it and if I like it I'll get the R3 version.
Old 12-26-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Well, Miramax, you really screwed the pooch on this one. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for the widescreen theatrical cut, I KNOW I'll find it.

Really though. The studios bitch and complain about piracy and then they go and do something to FORCE people to pirate the movie to get the version they want. Talk about ridiculous. $28.00 for a movie that I haven't seen. Good luck with that Miramax but you'll see some low sales figures on this one. That's almost TWICE the price of a typical new release. Oh well, I'll get the movie how I want......I always do.
Force? C'mon, it's not like you're entitled to anything. Miramax doesn't ever have to release this movie, and they are entitled to charge what they want for it. Its there right. Just like I can paint a picture and I'm not forced to give copies to anybody.

I hate people who feel they have a right to a movie (or other art) as well as at their price. Studios can bitch about piracy, but at least they are talking about illegalities. You're just talking about what you want at the cost you want. That's just selfish.

I don't mean to defend studios. I'm not on their side, if there are sides to take. But there is a certain amount of reasonableness required.
Old 12-26-05, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jericho
Force? C'mon, it's not like you're entitled to anything. Miramax doesn't ever have to release this movie, and they are entitled to charge what they want for it. Its there right. Just like I can paint a picture and I'm not forced to give copies to anybody.

I hate people who feel they have a right to a movie (or other art) as well as at their price. Studios can bitch about piracy, but at least they are talking about illegalities. You're just talking about what you want at the cost you want. That's just selfish.

I don't mean to defend studios. I'm not on their side, if there are sides to take. But there is a certain amount of reasonableness required.
Jericho, I think you're a bit off base here. We know that the proper treatment of film (or lack thereof) on DVD is an issue hopefully all of us at this forum care deeply about. If not the filmlovers, who will? I believe it is reasonable to expect a studio to not bite the fans on the ass by giving them the less than attractive choice of the theatrical version in it's wrong ratio, or the director's cut in the proper ratio, but only if you pay extra for the book. It's not like the book wasn't available before this. Many already have it.

I agree, Miramax isn't holding a gun to our heads to make us buy the more expensive giftset, but you have to admit they certainly chose to put the more attractive version of the film exclusively in the gift set. It's not force, but it certainly is dirty pool.

It's not selfish for anyone who cares about film to want a film released on DVD intact. After all, it's not like one can go see it properly projected in a theater anymore, and the home edition is how the film will be preserved for the future. You mention that consumers are not entitled to anything from the studio. You're right. But there's kind of an unwritten agreement there. Studios make the film, we go see them and/or buy them, the studio then hopefully profits enough to make more films.

By releasing "The Great Raid" this way, with the more desirable version ONLY available if you buy it with the book, Miramax has pissed in the pool. While Miramax OWES us nothing, we have every right to bitch if we feel we're being taken advantage. And if they're only going to release the widescreen version at a premium to get the fans to shell out extra for a (possibly) remaindered book, then we have every right to bitch about it.

Yes, film is art, but you're a bit muddled in your example. Miramax's DVD offerings of "The Great Raid" has nothing to do with art, and everything to do with lucre.
Old 12-26-05, 09:58 PM

the R3 cover is so much better looking than the Charlies Angels-looking R1 cover.
Old 12-26-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My R3 set has shipped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.