TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dirty Jobs on Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dirty Jobs on Discovery

Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel

Anyone watching this? My wife and I find it quite entertaining. The host is quite hurmorous doing some rather disgusting jobs at times.
Old 10-26-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw the commercials and decided it looked too disgusting to actually watch.
Old 10-26-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a bit disgusting at times, but not too bad.
Old 10-26-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen every one...some of the things he does I could NEVER do ..not so much entertaining as ...well...interesting to see what some people do that you really don't think about...
Old 10-26-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LOVE THIS SHOW!! (Those finished cob houses looked really nice in last nite's episode.)
Mike Rowe is a down-to-earth host and I appreciate the humor he infuses into each episode (although his "obsession" with poop can make one cringe.) And I definitely have more appreciation for those out there doing these disgusting jobs day in, day out!

I just caught onto this show and repeats recently -- with Mythbusters (the only other show on the Discovery Channel that I make as appointment television) going into constant reruns, and the family edition of The Amazing Race travelling over boooring TV territory. This is a great alternative for those not sure what to watch on Tuesday nites, especially those wanting real Reality programming.
Old 10-27-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do they show this show in HD?
Old 10-29-05, 11:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Put me in the category of LOVE THIS SHOW

thanks for the heads up people who recommended it!

I'm kind of curious what the background of Mike Rowe is. Was he a local affiliate TV news guy somewhere? He's got a great absurd sense of humor. At times the show feels like some kind of high school vocational tech class film they used to force us to watch to scare us into wanting to go to college. But his glib remarks make the whole thing quite entertaining. Really interesting to see how some people make a living in this world too.

Discovery Channel has really got some great shows. altho I suppose they are more for people who like to engage their brain while watching tv.

Wish more people watched these shows like Mythbusters, Going Tribal, etc. They are waaaaay underrated.
Old 10-30-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluesix
Put me in the category of LOVE THIS SHOW

thanks for the heads up people who recommended it!

I'm kind of curious what the background of Mike Rowe is. Was he a local affiliate TV news guy somewhere? He's got a great absurd sense of humor. At times the show feels like some kind of high school vocational tech class film they used to force us to watch to scare us into wanting to go to college. But his glib remarks make the whole thing quite entertaining. Really interesting to see how some people make a living in this world too.

Discovery Channel has really got some great shows. altho I suppose they are more for people who like to engage their brain while watching tv.

Wish more people watched these shows like Mythbusters, Going Tribal, etc. They are waaaaay underrated.
you can read his bio here... http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/di...s/bio/bio.html
Old 10-30-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great show!

I've met the host a few times out here. Once in Gilroy when they were filming an episode of Evening Magazine at the Garlic Fair. Another when we were both taking a taste tour at one of the local wineries. Mike's a pretty decent guy, you could sit and have beer with him and feel like you've been friends for a few years.

The episode with the cockroaches gave me the willies. I've responded to a call a few years back that was infested like that and had roaches crawling all over and up my legs.

Last edited by Tazwolff; 10-30-05 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-30-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to hear others like the show too. It's shows like this and Mythbusters why my wife and I like Discovery so much. Educational yet still entertaining.

My wife is a civil engineer and deals with where the "poop" goes. She loves this show just for the "poop" factor.
Old 10-30-05, 08:30 AM

I got suckered in by the Bio-Diesel segment. Must be the enginerd in me. It's got a season pass now.
Old 10-30-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Love this show. Mike Rowe is outstanding. He absolutely seems like a regular guy, like a good buddy who can crack you up whenever he wants to.

After reading the bio, I do remember him from the Egypt Week and the Tylenol commercials.
Old 10-30-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I've seen several. Not a show I can't miss, but I enjoy watching every time I happen to see it on.
Old 09-11-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, almost 2 years without anyone posting about this show.

Anyone else (besides me) still watch this?
Old 09-11-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep
Old 09-11-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you think Mike will be content hosting shows for the rest of his career? He's so good and makes it seem so effortless. I don't think I'd want to see him as an actor.
Old 09-11-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Dirty Jobs and have a crush on Mike Rowe, his voice is great, almost makes me want to buy a Ford truck.
Old 09-12-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I just recently got into this show and i ust admit that it is great. with American Chopper and Mythbusters jumping the shark/hitting the wall and too many shows about competitions between people with rough jobs (Deadliest Catch/ Ice Road Truckers/ Crab Wars) this is the only show bringing me back to the Discovery/TLC/History channels.
Old 09-12-07, 09:21 AM

I didn't know that this show has been on for about 2 years. We just got into it and love it! I know what you mean about the crush on Rowe, Diva Girl ;o) He does have a great voice. Ya know something, I had no idea that those jobs exist. None whatsoever! It's definitely enlightening LOL
Old 09-12-07, 10:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
you do know folks Mike used to sing with the Baltimore Opera - with that voice - wow!

as for the show - another 'love it' just bought the collection (with the 100th episode special) and season one on DVD - is there another season planned for the Fall?
Old 09-12-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still love this show. Mike Rowe is a great host & he can be pretty funny at times. Some of the stuff that he does on that show, I would never do as a job in a million years.

I’ve seen Rowe on commercials advertising the Ford F-Series quite a bit over the past few months.
Old 09-12-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Originally Posted by sauce07
I just recently got into this show and i ust admit that it is great. with American Chopper and Mythbusters jumping the shark/hitting the wall and too many shows about competitions between people with rough jobs (Deadliest Catch/ Ice Road Truckers/ Crab Wars) this is the only show bringing me back to the Discovery/TLC/History channels.
The funny thing is, Mike Rowe has paticipated in almost all the shows you mentioned. It's weird watching the first few episodes of American Chopper where Mike Rowe narrates.

I love Dirty jobs as well. Rowe is definitely the reason to watch. He cracks me up. The fact that he allows himself to purposely look foolish is awesome.
Old 09-12-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I continue to catch the first-run episodes Tuesday nites. I believe there's a new one next week before it goes on a mini-break till late October (all the Discovery networks have such an erratic schedule when it comes to airing new shows. )

The more recent episodes of Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and even Survivorman, look BEAUTIFUL on the Discovery HD simulcast. I just can't go back to watching these shows on the regular SD channel.
Old 09-12-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skatefan20
I(all the Discovery networks have such an erratic schedule when it comes to airing new shows. )
And massive reruns in one day. I love Dirty Jobs, I used to have it on my TiVO season ticket till Discovery decided to run marathons on weekends.
Old 09-12-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
you do know folks Mike used to sing with the Baltimore Opera - with that voice - wow!
I found out after the show where he sang the national anthem at the baseball game. I was stunned at how good he was, and then went "Ahhh..." after reading about his operatic career.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.