Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Over There - "Follow the Money" (season finale) - 10/26/05

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 08:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Over There - "Follow the Money" (season finale) - 10/26/05

Episode 13: Follow the Money

While the fire team tries to protect a civilian convoy along a dangerous stretch of road, they become increasingly wary of Lt. Underpants' leadership skills and sound judgement. Meanwhile, Bo meets someone who may help him get back into the army, and Sergio gets unexpected news from Anna.

Last edited by Geofferson; 10-27-05 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-27-05, 08:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone watch the finale last night? I thought it was a pretty fitting end to the season. Bo may have finally found the guy who can get him back in the army, Sergio is back and Angel sings a beautiful tune. I may have missed it, but did we find out what "double-wide" means?
Old 10-27-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, I still have it on the DVR, but I've seen this entire series and fairly much enjoyed all of it.

Does anyone know yet if this was a Series Finale, or has the show been picked up for a second season?
Old 10-28-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Provocative 'Over There' didn't go over big here
By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY
FX's groundbreaking Iraq War drama, Over There, appears likely to become a casualty of low ratings

As the critically acclaimed series — the first to depict an ongoing war — heads into its first-season finale tonight (10 ET/PT), its young-adult audience substantially trails those of other FX dramas, including The Shield, Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me.

The cable series premiered to more than 4 million viewers after a wave of publicity resulting from speculation about public backlash and the involvement of noted producer Steven Bochco, who created the series with Chris Gerolmo.

But the numbers tailed off to fewer than 2 million, and the young adults prized by advertisers dropped to close to 1 million for later episodes. The series follows a group of Army soldiers in Iraq and their families at home.

Despite the ratings, FX president John Landgraf says he remains proud of Over There and hasn't made a final decision about its future. "I feel really good about it creatively. It's a tough show and at times a very darkly truthful show," he says.

"Chris and Steven did a really good job of developing their characters over the long haul. The last run of episodes is quite moving," Landgraf says. But "the ratings are probably below the level of sustainability from our standpoint."

Some viewers might not have wanted to see more of a war that already was covered heavily in the news, Landgraf and others say.

"I think the obvious point is people are fed up with the war and don't want it in their living room," says Jonathan Taplin, a professor at the University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communication. He says FX should be proud of the series' human perspective, which he finds missing from much news coverage.

Bochco and Gerolmo put a face on the war, says co-executive producer Nelson McCormick, who served in the Air Force. "Whenever you read a story about more U.S. deaths in Iraq, if you ever stop to ask, 'Who are these people?' that's the question that we wanted to answer," he says.

McCormick says some friends stopped watching because of the intensity, but the series could not be softened without betraying its vision. He says the 13-show season, which concludes with an open-ended episode, might be better appreciated over time.

Over There, which premiered in July, also might have been hurt by bumping into the fall broadcast season. It went up against new episodes of CSI: NY, Law & Order and Invasion in its final weeks, says Brad Adgate of the ad-buying firm Horizon Media.

The series usually avoided taking a political stand on the war, which might be a reason there has been no large backlash, McCormick says. Not all have liked the show, but he and Landgraf say the feedback has been largely positive.

A man, while serving in Iraq, "said his conversations with his family were two minutes long. Once his family started watching the show, their conversations became 45 minutes long, because it provided context to talk about stuff," Landgraf says.
Old 10-28-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 607 Likes on 351 Posts
I've watched the whole series and have enjoyed it. I'm not usually into 'war' shows but this really brings the people involved into focus. I'm hoping it gets picked up for a 2nd season.
Old 10-28-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it does somehow make it to a second season, please for the love of god, no more of that lame ass song that played over the credits at the end of each and every single episode. A song that was written and performed by the show's writer, none the less.
Old 10-28-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally had a chance to see this episode and I thought it was excellent, with some fairly tense moments.

I could not believe the Sgt. forgot and refered to the Lt. as "Lt. Underpants" while talking to the Captain. And the captain made him explain the name.

I really hope the show gets picked up for season 2.