Reload this Page >

Criterion problem

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion problem

Old 10-25-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion problem

My DVD "A Night To remember" has just become unplayable. My Panasonic(portable and home), JVC home player and computer will not recognize the the DVD. Anyone else with Criterion problems?
Old 10-26-05, 11:10 AM

I haven't had any problems with any of my Criterions so far.

Go to Criterion's Report-a-Problem page and let them know. Based on past experience, they will respond quickly and very likely replace the disc in question.
Old 10-26-05, 01:52 PM

People have reported this problem before, specifically with this title. You can email Mulvaney on the CC homepage and he will tell you that you can either mail in the title to them and they will supply a new copy, or to take it back to point of purchase for an exchange.
Old 10-26-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FilmFanSea
I haven't had any problems with any of my Criterions so far.

Go to Criterion's Report-a-Problem page and let them know. Based on past experience, they will respond quickly and very likely replace the disc in question.
A related question -- will they replace a disk that is unplayable due to abuse? I have the disk "Picnic at Hanging Rock", to make a long story short it's like it's been ground into a hard surface, plus the disk is cracked from the middle circle to the outer edge. Or is this a question I need to ask them? I wouldn't mind paying a little to cover shipping, of course, but I don't want to pay full retail again.
Old 10-26-05, 02:36 PM
Defunct Account

I had the exact same thing happen with my copy of ANtR. I e-mailed Criterion and they had me send the disc back to them. I had my replacement in about a week.
Old 10-27-05, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
A related question -- will they replace a disk that is unplayable due to abuse?
If you get into a fender bender, does the auto company replace your car for free? If you split your pants, does the Gap give you a new pair for free?
Old 10-27-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msbailey
If you get into a fender bender, does the auto company replace your car for free? If you split your pants, does the Gap give you a new pair for free?
True, but the cost to produce a car and pants are substancially higher than the cost to produce a DVD. The reason a DVD is so expensive is the material that's on it - the DVD itself is maybe $0.50 or $1. I've already paid for the material on the DVD and am willing to pay another $0.50 or $1 to have a new DVD.

Say I buy a CD and copy the music to my computer, then the original CD is destroyed somehow. Should I feel compelled to erase (delete) the music from my computer?

Last edited by Heat; 10-27-05 at 03:39 PM.