DVD Talk
Will Miers be Confirmed? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Will Miers be Confirmed?

Chaos
10-24-05, 03:26 PM
Same as with Roberts; poll time.

Bandoman
10-24-05, 03:34 PM
Barring a brilliant appearance at her confirmation hearing, which I don't anticipate - no.

nemein
10-24-05, 03:36 PM
I think it's still too early to tell. If I had to bet I'd say no/withdraw, but I want to hear the confirmation hearing first though.

Red Dog
10-24-05, 03:40 PM
I'm betting on W/D, but that may be wishful thinking.

I think if she makes it to the hearings, she'll be confirmed. If one of the Roberts nay-voters votes yea on Miers, then I will be seriously pissed off.

B.A.
10-24-05, 03:52 PM
In my expert opinion - NO.

classicman2
10-24-05, 03:53 PM
I think if she makes it to the hearings, she'll be confirmed. I

So do I.

Pharoh
10-24-05, 04:02 PM
Messrs:

Santorum
Frist
Talent
DeWine
Kyl
Burns

hold the key.

Or, as we hinted at here over three weeks ago, she will withdraw.

DVD Polizei
10-24-05, 05:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Bush chose her.

Red Dog
10-24-05, 05:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why Bush chose her.

Really. I think it is pretty damn obvious.

wendersfan
10-24-05, 06:03 PM
I'm with Red Dog and classicman, dammit. :grunt:

classicman2
10-24-05, 06:05 PM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that her nomination will be withdrawn - obviously by her.

It may not take 2-3 weeks.

DVD Polizei
10-24-05, 06:08 PM
Really. I think it is pretty damn obvious.

Well, then it's pretty damn scary.

Th0r S1mpson
10-24-05, 06:43 PM
I voted yes, but it's a very shaky yes at this point. It's hard to tell. I think it would depend a lot on what happened in the hearings, and that she would be well prepped for it. If she makes it that far.

CRM114
10-24-05, 07:14 PM
Yes. I may even urge my Senators, Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum, to vote for confirmation.

natevines
10-24-05, 07:19 PM
It is indeed early, but maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I suspect she won't be confirmed. Maybe Bush will nominate an actual conservative next, and not some crony.

Th0r S1mpson
10-24-05, 07:27 PM
Yes. I may even urge my Senators, Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum, to vote for confirmation.
Your view on this is hilarious. That the conservatives <i>deserve</i> her. What exactly do you see coming of her confirmation that makes you take this view?

Red Dog
10-24-05, 07:46 PM
Your view on this is hilarious. That the conservatives <i>deserve</i> her. What exactly do you see coming of her confirmation that makes you take this view?

I really don't understand it either. Like the conservatives would somehow feel warm and tingly with Gore/Kerry or the 'in-house' alternative, McCain in the WH.

Did conservatives get duped by Bush? Yes. Did they have a viable alternative? No.

al_bundy
10-24-05, 08:02 PM
how come there is no don't care option?

bhk
10-24-05, 08:11 PM
No, she will withdraw. Esp. with the affirmative action thing coming to light.

CRM114
10-24-05, 08:47 PM

Its merely poetic justice that this President nominate an incoherent, lightweight crony to the highest court. I just want to see it for myself. I have no ulterior motives except humor. The country wants church ladies, they got one. :D

CRM114
10-24-05, 08:54 PM
I really don't understand it either. Like the conservatives would somehow feel warm and tingly with Gore/Kerry or the 'in-house' alternative, McCain in the WH.

Did conservatives get duped by Bush? Yes. Did they have a viable alternative? No.

The conservatives had lots of choices in 2000. They put Bush on a pedestal a year out of the election. He wooed people with taxcuts - the holy grail of, well, most everyone - and that was as far as anyone cared to look. Its the conservative mentality. Its the caveman view of the world. :shrug:

Lemdog
10-24-05, 08:58 PM
I doubt that.

Pharoh
10-24-05, 09:11 PM

He didn't dupe a single person who listened to him.

island007
10-24-05, 09:12 PM
I'm becoming more and more convinced that her nomination will be withdrawn - obviously by her.

It may not take 2-3 weeks.

I agree with classicman. :cool:

Bush needs to nominate someone like Thomas.

Red Dog
10-24-05, 09:19 PM
He didn't dupe a single person who listened to him.

rotfl

Red Dog
10-24-05, 09:19 PM
The conservatives had lots of choices in 2000. They put Bush on a pedestal a year out of the election. He wooed people with taxcuts - the holy grail of, well, most everyone - and that was as far as anyone cared to look. Its the conservative mentality. Its the caveman view of the world. :shrug:

What choices* did they have? Bauer? :lol:

* please note that you used the term 'choices.' I used the term 'viable alternative.'

CRM114
10-24-05, 09:47 PM

* please note that you used the term 'choices.' I used the term 'viable alternative.'

Seems to me that Alan Keyes was closer to the mark than GWB. :)

Red Dog
10-24-05, 09:49 PM
Seems to me that Alan Keyes was closer to the mark than GWB. :)

Sure. The problem is that he was hardly a viable alternative.

Pharoh
10-24-05, 09:50 PM
rotfl

I am happy that you find the word of the President while he was just a candidate so amusing. He told everybody what he would be, and he has been just that.

As for Ms. Miers being the type of Justice he claimed he would nominate, neither one of us have any idea if she will become that. The President obviously believes she will, and that is the primary reason why he nominated her.

Mr. Roberts also fits that bill, particularly given the political climate, as do the vast majority of his Circuit Court nominees. Where is the duping?

dick_grayson
10-24-05, 09:53 PM
I am happy that you find the word of the President while he was just a candidate so amusing. He told everybody what he would be, and he has been just that.

A uniter, not a divider? :hscratch:

Red Dog
10-24-05, 09:55 PM

As for Ms. Miers being the type of Justice he claimed he would nominate, neither one of us have any idea if she will become that. The President obviously believes she will, and that is the primary reason why he nominated her.

Mr. Roberts also fits that bill, particularly given the political climate, as do the vast majority of his Circuit Court nominees. Where is the duping?

Which justice did most experts think Roberts would most resemble. Hint: it wasn't Scalia nor Thomas.

Maybe you think you didn't get duped. You certainly don't speak for the whole conservative community.

Pharoh
10-24-05, 10:02 PM
Which justice did most experts think Roberts would most resemble. Hint: it wasn't Scalia nor Thomas.

Maybe you think you didn't get duped. You certainly don't speak for the whole conservative community.

I know full well, which is why I specifically spoke about the political climate at the time of the nomination. Further, I am looking at the whole picture of judicial nominations, not just one.

Red Dog
10-24-05, 10:26 PM
I know full well, which is why I specifically spoke about the political climate at the time of the nomination. Further, I am looking at the whole picture of judicial nominations, not just one.

Yeah I saw the qualifier - which is why I agree he is a conservative, on the wuss scale. :)

kvrdave
10-24-05, 10:38 PM
A uniter, not a divider? :hscratch:

He tried a lot harder than I would have.

It isn't possible for a Republican to be a uniter with Democrats. I think they care more about party than position.

Anyway, I voted "yes" but I haven't followed it at all. I take it that she is not doing well?

Obviously she was nominated to go down so that the Democrats could kill one nominee and then Bush could nominate Satan, and they couldn't stop him becuase they already killed one nominee. It is the Evil Genius Theory. -wink-

Red Dog
10-24-05, 10:42 PM
I don't even think the carbon blobs bought the uniter/not divider comment.

classicman2
10-25-05, 07:26 AM
Reality: The country has always been divided. Only during times of national crisis is there real unity - 9/11, WWII, etc. As soon as the crisis passes - back to the old division.

I read and hear how JFK united the country. Hogwash! His death united the country. At times during his presidency the south was virtually in rebellion. He sent federal troops to the south. How many are old enough to remember the signs and button - 'I miss Ike. Hell, I even miss Harry?"

Therefore, when you hear a presidential candidate tell you that he's going to be a uniter, not a divider, remember what he really means. He's going to try and build political coalitions - like Reagan did.

wendersfan
10-25-05, 07:34 AM
Obviously she was nominated to go down so that the Democrats could kill one nominee and then Bush could nominate Satan, and they couldn't stop him becuase they already killed one nominee. It is the Evil Genius Theory. -wink-It took Nixon two rejected nominees before he was able to get <strike>Satan</strike> Harry Blackmun confirmed. :lol:

classicman2
10-25-05, 07:40 AM
Yes, and it was a sad day for the country when one of those nominees got rejected.

CRM114
10-25-05, 07:45 AM
Where is the duping?

I don't believe that the President ever indicated that he'd allow the budget to spiral out of control and spend more than the President before him.

classicman2
10-25-05, 07:47 AM
When is the last time that an administration has not spent more money than the previous administration?

CRM114
10-25-05, 07:51 AM
When is the last time that an administration has not spent more money than the previous administration?

But this was the conservative hero saving the day from the spend-crazy Democrats. And Bush didn't just spend a little more, he spent a LOT more.

classicman2
10-25-05, 07:58 AM
I enjoy tweaking the former budget hawks, turned big-time spender also. ;)

It's the Republican hypocrisy that spurs me onward in this area. :)

Th0r S1mpson
10-25-05, 09:47 AM
Well, now I hope Miers is confirmed just so CRM can cheer up.

JasonF
10-25-05, 09:51 AM

There's not enough time!!!

Wait .... you probably meant Gary Bauer, didn't you?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0