Political Correctness: 'Freshmen' now offensive [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness: 'Freshmen' now offensive

Geofferson
10-24-05, 02:02 PM
http://www.projo.com/yourlife/markpatinkin/projo_20051023_mark23.36b54b0.html

Mark Patinkin: Politically correct crowd's lacquered linguistic limitations

01:00 AM EDT on Sunday, October 23, 2005

A new word has been declared off-limits by the politically correct crowd.

Freshmen.

Apparently, "freshmen" don't exist anymore at Amherst Regional High School in Massachusetts. At least by name.

Now, they're 9th graders.

Someone decided "freshmen" was just too exclusionary. It contains the word "men," which, of course, is unacceptable.

It's not just Amherst High, either. Colleges such as Smith and Mount Holyoke have banned the word "freshmen," too. Now they're "first year students."

This is a bit of a surprise, because there are signs we're in a less sensitive age. Some TV shows, such as the adult cartoon series Family Guy, are based on political incorrectness. In one typical scene, the show's acerbic baby, Stewie, hearing that a family member has lined up a date, says, "That'd be more pathetic than that game of Marco Polo I played with Helen Keller."

But when schools start banning the word "freshmen," it makes you realize America may be more sensitive than ever.

I ran into a big example a few weeks ago. I was at religious services, and without realizing it, found myself holding a new "gender-neutral" prayer book.

The problem was that most others had regular prayer books. During the responsive reading, when everyone around me said "Lord," my book told me to say "the Eternal One."

First of all, that put me out of sync. Second, I sat there thinking, "What's so bad about 'Lord'?" And about "King," "Father" and "Master" -- words now also expunged for being chauvinist.

Then there was the Katrina controversy over "refugee."

I remember turning on a news talk show at the height of the crisis. People were stranded, FEMA was imploding, and the water still rising, but the topic of greatest outrage on this show was that the media were describing people as "refugees."

Pretty soon, journalists everywhere were told we couldn't use it anymore. It had to be "evacuee." I'm still not sure why. Doesn't "refugee" basically mean "displaced person"?

I guess people felt "refugee" had a "Third World" connotation. But that, in turn, raises the question of whether "Third World" is politically incorrect. Doesn't it imply that "first world" nations such as America are better? Though, now that I think of it, I've seldom heard countries described as "first world," and never "second world." Where did "Third World" come from, anyway?

Not long ago, I saw another sign-of-the-times phrase. Apparently, some people think "gay-marriage" is insensitive. You're now supposed to say "same-sex marriage."

I even think we're being too sensitive about the enemy in Iraq. We keep calling them "insurgents" as if to lend them legitimacy. These are people who blow up civilians with suicide bombs. Doesn't that make them terrorists? Insurgents indeed.

There's politically correct speak all around. You can't call perverts "perverts" anymore; they're "sex offenders." And there are no more vagrants, just homeless people.

Personally, I think life's too short to have to tiptoe around words.

But if people think "freshmen" is offensive, well, I have to admit, it does include the word "men."

Which would certainly exclude women.

And we can't have women called a word that includes "m-e-n."

Can we?

Anyone here offended?
I suggest we change the spelling of 'woman to 'womyn'.
And discontinue the use of the word 'person' since it is gender specific. Perchild...perbeing...perhuman? (oops, can't even use that).

CRM114
10-24-05, 02:04 PM
Can we change the bible where it says woman was created from the rib of a man?

kvrdave
10-24-05, 02:07 PM
Hell, women took over the word "actor" and the word "actress" isn't used anymore. Why should Freshmen be any different?

All this stuff just tells me that we are the wealthiest nation in the world, because we have time and energy to spend on the stupidest stuff around.

uberjoe
10-24-05, 02:16 PM
This isn't anything new. I entered college in '99 and was also called a "first year student" by the school. Only other students said "freshmen."

Groucho
10-24-05, 02:17 PM
I remember reading stories like this 10+ years ago. I think there may even be a joke about it in P.C.U..

dick_grayson
10-24-05, 02:18 PM
....but what if they "don't wash their stuff?"

Supermallet
10-24-05, 02:21 PM
http://www.pacsales.com/images/products-goped/regular-carb/2067-Longer-Manif-Screw-419.jpg http://www.fitness-equipment.com/acatalog/Baseball_Dixie.jpg

Bandoman
10-24-05, 02:23 PM
That's offensive, Suprmallet. Please apologize to the entire forum.

Myster X
10-24-05, 02:29 PM
I guess man-made is next to go.
Human made

Bandoman
10-24-05, 02:30 PM
I guess man-made is next to go.
Human made

No, it's person-made.

Myster X
10-24-05, 02:33 PM
oops....
human

JasonF
10-24-05, 02:33 PM
My undergraduate school used the term "First Year," "Second Year," etc. instead of "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. but that was just because we were snobby and wanted to differentiate ourselves from all those other schools.

Geofferson
10-24-05, 02:34 PM
No, it's person-made.
Even that won't work. :lol:

Groucho
10-24-05, 02:35 PM
No, it's person-made.-ohbfrank- Don't you mean perchild-made?

JasonF
10-24-05, 02:41 PM
-ohbfrank- Don't you mean perchild-made?

Perchild implies some sort of quota, as if we're requiring each child to make a certain number of whatever it is we're talking about. And don't get me started on "made," which not only contains the first two letters of "man," but also reminds women of their subjugation as domestic searvants. Henceforth, please use the term "allchild womyde."

Bandoman
10-24-05, 02:41 PM
How about people-made? Or non-natural? Or intelligent-design-created?

Groucho
10-24-05, 02:45 PM
How about people-made? Or non-natural? Or intelligent-design-created?This is easily the most sexist, homophobic, and racist remark ever to be made on these forums. UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN!

Supermallet
10-24-05, 02:50 PM
Unclean is a reference to religion, which marks certain animals and people as clean or unclean. I, as an atheist, am HIGHLY offended!

Bandoman
10-24-05, 02:54 PM
I think Suprmallet's use of the term "high" is code for some pro-drug agenda which is clearly improper in this forum.

Supermallet
10-24-05, 03:01 PM
When you use the word forum, it may very well mean "The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business." And, if so, I feel that is not appropriate to this discussion, as Rome was an expansive empire, something we should try not to emulate. Please try and refrain from further use of Roman terminology, including all languages derived from Latin.

Grimfarrow
10-24-05, 03:15 PM
I think they should all be called FRESH MEAT. Voila! No gender discrimination.

Michael T Hudson
10-24-05, 03:17 PM
Just call them FISH done deal.

nemein
10-24-05, 03:26 PM
I think they should all be called FRESH MEAT. Voila! No gender discrimination.

You'll be nailed for the objectification and demeaning rhetoric towards females suggesting they are just "meat" though.

Supermallet
10-24-05, 03:27 PM
Fresh...wheat?

Bandoman
10-24-05, 03:29 PM
Maybe those just entering college should be called "seniority-challenged" and given preferential treatment.

Red Dog
10-24-05, 03:38 PM
I remember this being an issue back when I was in college 15 years ago.

but that was just because we were snobby and wanted to differentiate ourselves from all those other schools.

It's good to see you've finally acknowledged the snobbery of The University. :lol:

nemein
10-24-05, 03:39 PM
Personally I like plebe myself but I assume the liberals will be up in arms (pun intented) about the faco-militaristic connotations of using that ;)

JasonF
10-24-05, 04:16 PM
It's good to see you've finally acknowledged the snobbery of The University. :lol:

I never denied that it was a snobby school in general -- I just said I'm not snobby. :lol:

Bacon
10-24-05, 05:39 PM
Oh brother!!! (or sister)

:rolleyes:
next the signs on public restroom will have to say

person with a goober (men)
person with a vagina (women)

men/women will be banned from all use-screwy-

Grimfarrow
10-24-05, 05:47 PM
You'll be nailed for the objectification and demeaning rhetoric towards females suggesting they are just "meat" though.

That's the whole point ;)

DJLinus
10-24-05, 08:11 PM

Are you talking about UVA? When my then-girlfriend and I entered college in '94 (me at UR, her at UVA), she told me that her school referred to freshmen as "first years." My friends and I had a good laugh about that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0