DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Archie Bunker's Place on DVD in 2006!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Archie Bunker's Place on DVD in 2006!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4361

It looks like Archie Bunker's Place will hit DVD next year, they aren't waiting for All in the Family to end.

This is cool, I never got to see Archie Bunker's Place and am interested in it and really want to see the episode where Edith dies.
Old 10-24-05, 07:04 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This makes no sense at all. They had better continue with the original series unaffected.
Old 10-24-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AfterMASH can't be far behind. 2 all time great series with horrendous spinoffs although MASH was great through its entire run & All In The Family pretty much jumped the shark when Gloria & the Meathead left for California.
Old 10-24-05, 10:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor dingbat
Old 10-24-05, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JAA
This makes no sense at all. They had better continue with the original series unaffected.
Season 5 of All in the Family is penciled in for a DVD release on January 3rd. Go here. That still leaves seasons 6, 7, 8, and 9 needing a DVD release. Archie Bunker's Place is seasons 10, 11, 12, and 13.

By the way, Mike and Gloria left at the end of season 8. Edith stuck around for season 9 and made occasional appearances in season 10 (season 1 of Archie Bunker's Place). Her death takes place at the top of season 11, season 2 of ABP.

Last edited by L Chabert Lover; 10-24-05 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-24-05, 01:24 PM

The addition of a cute, precocious little girl (Danielle Brisebois) to this cast always made me wanna wretch. Jean Stapleton made the right choice in opting out of this turkey.

To the curious: Rent before you buy.

[GROAN]I guess this means that Gloria can't be far behind ... [/GROAN]
Old 10-24-05, 01:56 PM

I know this clearly makes no sense seeing how ABP is a direct continuation of AITF but I really wish they would re-run ABP on TV Land, it would be really nice. I don't know why they don't it makes little sense to me
Old 10-24-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one good thing about this (if you're not a fan of ABP, as I am not) is that it may signal that Sony will start releasing subsequent seasons of AITF on a much quicker and more regular schedule than they have up to now. I am really only interested in collecting the show through season 8 (last Mike & Gloria season), and man it has been a long haul: four years and only four seasons so far. For a while, I wasn't even sure that season five was coming - glad to hear that was finally announced.
Old 10-24-05, 05:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4361
This is cool, I never got to see Archie Bunker's Place and am interested in it and really want to see the episode where Edith dies.
Edith does not die in any episode. She died between the end of the first and beginning of the second seasons of Archie Bunker's Place. In the first episode of season 2, Archie tries to make do raising Stephanie alone and in a dramatic scene "talks to" his departed wife. It's a monologue; Edith doesn't reply or appear as a ghost and there's no flashback depicting her death.

EDIT: With all that explanation, I didn't mention HOW Edith died, something the original poster might want to know. This is explained in Archie's monologue:
Spoiler:
Edith died of a stroke in her sleep.

If you'd like to read the script for that episode, there's a link to it on this page. Archie's monologue is close to the end.
http://www.allinthefamilysit.com/ediths_death.shtml

Last edited by digidoh; 10-25-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-24-05, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I know this clearly makes no sense seeing how ABP is a direct continuation of AITF but I really wish they would re-run ABP on TV Land, it would be really nice. I don't know why they don't it makes little sense to me
TV Land ran it during the first few months of 2003. They cycled through the entire series about twice.
Old 10-24-05, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by digidoh
Edith doesn't reply or appear as a ghost and there's no flashback depicting her death.
Hayden Christensen was recently hired to film a new scene to correct this oversight.
Old 10-24-05, 09:10 PM

Agree with the poster that suggests that people who are new to ABP rent before buying. I watched this occasionally during its original run, and there is a reason you don't see this rerun often.

Originally Posted by grundle
Hayden Christensen was recently hired to film a new scene to correct this oversight.
That is very funny.
Old 10-24-05, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Drake
That is very funny.
Thank you!
Old 10-25-05, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by grundle
Hilarious!
Old 10-25-05, 01:44 AM
Banned

I never thought Archie's Bunker's Place will come out on DVD, that is good news, I still remember the Edith death episode, best performance by Carroll ever! Sadly, I will only buy it if it has english subtitles or closed caption (If you wondering why, I am deaf)
Old 10-25-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cannot wait for this set. It is VERY strange they aren't releasing this after All in the Family is completely released, though.
Old 10-25-05, 10:18 AM
Banned

Hilarious!
Thanks!
Old 10-25-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, perhaps they will continue to release All In The Family during regular intervals, and if they release Archie Bunkers Place simultaneously it will get the entire series out that much quicker. But one thing is for sure, it's not worth worrying about right now. We got season 5 still on the way. We don't know what the future holds, so let's just wait and see how much treatement release time wise ABP gets compared to AITF.
Old 10-25-05, 03:49 PM

I would buy the first season of this show for this crossover episodes.

I believe there were 5. Three with Edith & the two part Thanksgiving episode with Mike & Gloria.

Past that though, I don't think I would buy this show as it pretty much stunk. Well, for me anyways.