Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killer Criterion - Is the White Ring required?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done quite a bit of searching on both this board and the internet to find the answer to this question, but I haven't found a definitive answer.

I purchased a used copy of The Killer Criterion and I would like to verify whether it was legitimate. It has an insert, the Nimbus text in italics on the playing side of the inner ring and the non-playing side has the expected text/blood splash color, but the inner ring is not white.

Is there any way to confirm whether this is a legitmate disc? If it is a bootleg, it is a very good one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-05, 07:20 AM

There is a mirrored-ring version of The Killer, it's actually supposed to be rarer than the white-ring version. My copy has a white-ring, and I've never actually seen one with a mirrored ring, but I've heard from knowledgable sources that they are out there and real.

If you are a Windows user you can pop the disc into your DVD-ROM and load up DVD Profiler to see if it recognizes it correctly - it is my understanding that a bootleg version of the Killer would have had to go through the DeCSS process, thus changing the data content of the disc and making it so DVD Profiler would not identify it as real.

The Nimbus logo is generally a very good indicator, however -- there are some OOP Criterions from other pressing houses (my copy of "Silence of the Lambs," bought while it was in print from a retailer, has a "CDMA" {or something similar -- don't have it in front of me} or logo for the pressing house)

Hope this helps... there is also a pretty good thread on bootleg identification over at criterionforum.com

-- Jim
Old 10-20-05, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info - that thread was helpful. I'll also try loading it up using DVDProfiler as well and see what it says.
Old 10-20-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from an email Jon Mulvaney sent me regarding the center ring business:

I would disregard any discussion of white rings in relation to Criterion
discs. The color of the center ring is not a reliable indicator of
authenticity.
Old 10-20-05, 03:23 PM

Check out this thread http://www.criterionforum.com/index.php?showtopic=399