Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

what's the best flat screen tv? Where's the best place to buy it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally looking to buy a flat screen plasma to put on our wall to enjoy the rest of this season's nfl games...problem is, i know absolutely nothing except for brand names? What's the best tv for the best deal? Where should i buy it? any input would be appreciated!
Old 10-19-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might have better luck if you post this in the DVD & Home Theater Gear forum here. Maybe a helpful mod can move it?

What's your budget? That's always a good place to start to help narrow things down. Are you married to the plasma idea or open to other types as well?
Old 10-19-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hands-down, the Panasonic 42" EDTV for around $1500 shipped. Beautiful clear, natural picture, can't beat the price.
Old 10-20-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best pic in a plasma comes from Fujitsu, or models that are mostly Fujitsu inside since they OEM so much to others. Panny and Pioneer Elite are excellent most of the time. None of these would necessarily be the cheapest.
Old 10-20-05, 05:14 PM

thanks fellas...guess i should have considered the budget before posting...
however, 1500 for the panasonic seems about right to me...was looking in that range, 1500-2000...any other suggestions before i commit? thanks again...
Old 10-20-05, 05:45 PM

make sure you're comfortable with the differences between ED and HD. i'm going through the same process and it's all a bit overwhelming.
Old 10-20-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drmoze
Hands-down, the Panasonic 42" EDTV for around $1500 shipped. Beautiful clear, natural picture, can't beat the price.
I been wanting this TV. Where did you see it for this price??
Old 10-20-05, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by jessecrx
I been wanting this TV. Where did you see it for this price??
here you go
Old 10-20-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hands down Panasonic. They make their own "glass" and their panels handle black levels better than anyone else in this price range. While there are cheaper "generic" panels, IMO, it's worth it to invest a little extra for a purchase like this and buy a higher quality product.

Beware of places that low ball prices on web price search engines and then nickle and dime you with additional charges or are selling the previous generation panel at an inflated price. Visual Apex is a great place to buy with an excellent reputation and great customer service. They sell the commerical versions of the consumer products.

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/pla...?MFR=Panasonic

The TH-42PWD8UK (the new, current generation) Plasma 42" EDTV is $1374, shipping is $195.

There are AVS forum packages (that include stands and mounts) with special prices at:

http://www.visualapex.com/avs/

I'm with Walter Mitty, be sure that you are comfortable with the difference between ED and HD. Some people swear they can't really see a difference. I can easily see a difference between the two panels (but then I'm picky and have "freakish eyesight" ). It will depend on your eyes, viewing situation and what type of material you are planning on watching. Good luck.

Last edited by nekobus; 10-20-05 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-21-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nekobus
The TH-42PWD8UK (the new, current generation) Plasma 42" EDTV is $1374, shipping is $195.
I recently bought the HD business model for work. I want to take it home
Another vote for Panasonic.
Old 10-21-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seriously, the Panny EDTVs are sweet. My officemate has one.(7th-gen 42") I calibrated it with Avia and every setting came to '0'. It's not critical, but it indicates high manufacturing/design quality. I was really surprised.

And the EDTV really looks sharp with HD input. Nice, clear, natural-looking picture. I'm comparing it to my home Mitsu 65" HD rptv (crt) that has been tweaked and adjusted (Avia and service menus). I am seriously thinking about getting the panny for the bedroom. I don't understand why they cost so much less than worse-looking plasmas (and lcd's and dlp's) of the same size...
Old 10-21-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drmoze
I am seriously thinking about getting the panny for the bedroom. I don't understand why they cost so much less than worse-looking plasmas (and lcd's and dlp's) of the same size...
Partially because of sales volume, but mostly due to the fact that Panasonic rolls their own glass. They don't have to buy it from someone else like many other brands have to do.
Old 10-22-05, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mrroylee88
any other suggestions before i commit? thanks again...
Yep, if you haven't already, spend some quality time with the nice people at http://www.avsforum.com but be prepared to READ alot. With their help, I put together a very nice system (including a 42" Panny plasma) that I enjoy without regret every single day.