Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Martina McBride Timeless is great (buy it at Target)!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. You Win Again
2. I'll Be There
3. I Can't Stop Loving You
4. Rose Garden (I Never Promised You)
5. Today I Started Loving You Again
6. You Ain't Woman Enough
7. Once A Day
8. Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
9. I Don't Hurt Anymore
10. True Love Ways
11. Til I Can Make It On My Own
12. I Still Miss Someone
13. Heartaches By The Number
14. Satin Sheets
15. Thanks A Lot
16. Love's Gonna Live Here
17. Make The World Go Away
18. Help Me Make It Through The Night
19. Dreaming My Dreams*
20. Cryin' Time*
21. Walk On By*
22. Take These Chains From My Heart*
*Tracks 19-22 are on Target version only!
From walmart.com - For her latest album Timeless, McBride raids the country songbook of yesteryear. Eighteen classics from the likes of Harland Howard, Hank Williams and Don Gibson are dusted off and given new life.

McBride is one of only a handful of artists who can get away with releasing an entire album of standards. Few singers today have the stature to cut old-school tracks like "I'll Be There" and "(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden," and actually get radio play. The latter finds the singer in fine vocal form. Loretta Lynn's "You Ain't Woman Enough" is still as sassy as it was when it first hit the airwaves. Martina may have a bit more polish than Loretta, but she manages to sell the song with the same kind of fire. McBride nails "Once A Day" and "Satin Sheets," and at the same time manages to keep them from sounding dated.

Surprisingly, songs like Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone" and Ernest Tubb's "Thanks A lot," both a little rough around the edges vocally on the original versions, work well when performed by a female singer. Merle Haggard's "Today I Started Loving You Again" falls a bit flat, but then few performers can do the Hag quite like the Hag. McBride gets some help in the vocal department from Dwight Yoakam on "Heartaches By The Number." The fiddle and steel soused gem is as traditional as it gets; it would be nice to hear the track on the radio. "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down," another country classic, deserves a few radio spins as well.

"You Win Again," a Top 10 hit for Hank Williams (who co-wrote the song with Fred Rose), is nearly as forlorn when filtered through McBride's angelic vocals as it was through Williams'. A lonesome fiddle punctuates the sadness in McBride's voice. Hank Snow's "I Don't Hurt Anymore," which gets a lift from a moaning steel guitar, sounds great with McBride at the helm. Tammy Wynette's mournful "'Til I Can Make It On My Own" is, hands down, the best track on Timeless. Kris Kristofferson's poetic "Help Me Make It Through The Night" closes the disc on a quiet, but high note.

If you miss the good old days when traditional country music ruled the airwaves, pick up a copy of Timeless. McBride, with help from some of Nashville's most sought after studio musicians, has recorded one of the finest country albums of 2005.
Old 10-24-05, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim25
Martina McBride Timeless is great
You got that right and only I have been listening to the song clips from walmart.com. I cant wait until I am able to hear the songs in their glorious entirety. Thanks for the info about the extra tracks being available on the Target version only, for I was about to order this from overstock.com and i would have hated to missed out on four more classics being sung by Martina.

Last edited by monkyskunk; 10-24-05 at 04:04 PM.