Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Collecting Hammer Horror

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collecting Hammer Horror

So after continually reading about these films, and lately in the same breath of complaining about Universal's DVD-18s, I'm just curious how one can go about beginning to obtain a complete collection of Hammer Horror films. I can't seem to find one definitive site that lists the studios output in a well organized manner, let alone information on the DVDs, which titles are packaged together, which are poor quality, etc.? Is the Universal disc a good place to start, just diving in with 8 films at a great price, or is there a better film or collection to start with?
Old 10-17-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I would start with the Universal collection. Just make sure to watch that whole set as soon as you can to make sure there are no errors on the discs.

After that the Warner set would be next and then whatever Anchor Bay releases you can find.

Getting them all will be tough though as not every Hammer Film is even on DVD currently.
Old 10-18-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this thread has a full list of the anchor bay titles that were available but are now OOP.

Anchor Bay Double Dracula, Why so expensive?

also not that blue underground now has the liscence, but does not plan on re-releasing these titles on the dvd format
Old 10-18-05, 12:35 AM

The Universal set is a pretty good starting place, as most of the films are self-contained. Only "Evil of Frankenstein" is part of an ongoing series - it's technically part 3 of their Frankenstein series, but don't let that intimidate you, since the film basically chucks the events of parts one and two out the window. The Universal set also delivers a number of films directed by Hammer's greatest horror director, Terence Fisher. On a tech note, my set played just fine from start to finish.

The Leonard Maltin film guide I have (2002 edition) mentions the Frankenstein sequels after the capsule review/description of the titles you look up. In other words, start with the original "Curse of Frankenstein", and it will mention "followed by 'Revenge of Frankenstein'". Look that up, and it will point you to part three, and so on. Oddly, the Maltin book does not do this in full for the Hammer Dracula series. But, between using these entries and the "World of Hammer" 30 minute episodes included as extras on some of Anchor Bay's discs, I've been able to figure out what comes when pretty well.

Speaking of the Anchor Bay titles, if you see 'em, grab 'em. They're getting tougher to find all the time, especially the Dracula double feature set. Not all the Anchor Bays are as "essentail", but the Dracula & Frankenstein title are.

The WB six-film box set is essential as well. For the Dracula and Frankenstein series, you start there. From there it getss tricky, since different studios put out the subsequent films seemingly randomly. But from memory, try this for order and studios (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and add to the list):

FRANKENSTEIN (Peter Cushing entries only*)
Curse of Frankenstein (WB)
Revenge of Frankenstein (Columbia)
Evil of Frankenstein (Universal)
Frankenstein Created Woman (Anchor Bay)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (WB)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (Paramount)

* I know there's also "Horror of Frankenstein" later in the series, but it does not fit in the Cushing series, and I can't remember who put it out anyway. Universal?

DRACULA
Horror of Dracula (WB)
Brides of Dracula (note that Drac himself is a no-show here) (Universal)
Dracula - Prince of Darkness (Anchor Bay)
Dracula has Risen From the Grave (WB)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (WB)
Scars of Dracula (Anchor Bay)
Satanic Rites of Dracula (Anchor Bay for the best version, or countless crappy public domain versions.)

I know I had to have missed a few Dracula titles, so maybe someone else can post a better list.

Other notable Hammer DVDs:
Hound of the Baskervilles (MGM)
The Mummy (WB)
Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers (MGM)
Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (Paramount)

Hope that helps. I'm a few years into trying to make sense of all this myself, and it's still confusing.

JiM T

Last edited by JiM T; 10-18-05 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-18-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires

Ninjas and dracula...perfect
Old 10-18-05, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by rmick
I can't seem to find one definitive site that lists the studios output in a well organized manner, let alone information on the DVDs, which titles are packaged together, which are poor quality, etc.?
Zeta Minor's Hammer DVD Guide.
Old 10-18-05, 06:37 AM

That's a great link, John Hodson. Thanks!
Old 10-18-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DRACULA AD 1972 is now out from Warner.
Old 10-18-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I too recommend starting with the Unviersal set and then all the Warner titles.
Old 10-18-05, 12:52 PM

This link should also prove helpful for chronology and production history:

http://www.hammerfilms.com/

In addition to the horror films, you also really ought to look into getting the sci-fi films that Hammer made, many of which were released by Anchor Bay but have sadly gone out of print: Abominable Snowman, Quatermass II, Quatermass and the Pit, X the Unknown, etc.

If you are multi-region capable, however, many of them have been released by DD Video (Region 2). That's how I picked up the first Quatermass film, which hasn't been released yet by Sony/MGM. I also have to disagree with Zeta Minor's DVD reviews. IMO, Anchor Bay's releases are somewhat superior to DD Video's -- if for no other reason than that Anchor Bay did progressive transfers, whereas DD did not.
Old 10-18-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
When will Vampire Circus come to R1?
Old 10-19-05, 03:19 PM

So instead of not getting them and then regretting it, I picked up 4 of the Anchor Bay double features today at Border's.

Dracula Prince of Darkness/ Satanic Rites
Frankenstein Created Woman/ Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires
The Devil Rides Out/ Rasputin
The Mummy's Shroud/ Plague of the Zombies

Saw X: The Unknown/ Four Sided Triangle but figure I'll pick it up later after watching some of this.

I realize that some of these are part of series, but I'm gonna watch something tonight. What should I start with?
Old 10-19-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So instead of not getting them and then regretting it, I picked up 4 of the Anchor Bay double features today at Border's.

Dracula Prince of Darkness/ Satanic Rites
Frankenstein Created Woman/ Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires
The Devil Rides Out/ Rasputin
The Mummy's Shroud/ Plague of the Zombies

Saw X: The Unknown/ Four Sided Triangle but figure I'll pick it up later after watching some of this.

I realize that some of these are part of series, but I'm gonna watch something tonight. What should I start with?

RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK!!

That movie is awesome. One of my favourite hammer films.
Old 10-19-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JiM T
* I know there's also "Horror of Frankenstein" later in the series, but it does not fit in the Cushing series, and I can't remember who put it out anyway. Universal?

Pretty sure it's Anchor Bay as well.
Old 10-19-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
When will Vampire Circus come to R1?
That and "Twins of Evil" are my 2 most anticipated "not available" hammer titles.
Old 10-19-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JiM T

DRACULA
Horror of Dracula (WB)
Brides of Dracula (note that Drac himself is a no-show here) (Universal)
Dracula - Prince of Darkness (Anchor Bay)
Dracula has Risen From the Grave (WB)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (WB)
Scars of Dracula (Anchor Bay)
Satanic Rites of Dracula (Anchor Bay for the best version, or countless crappy public domain versions.)
Dracula A.D. 1972
Old 10-19-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, you may want to check out these:

Hammer house of horror - short lived horror TV series put out by hammer:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...038272-4788069

A really good documentary on the hammer horror films:

Flesh and Blood: The Hammer Heritage of Horror

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...038272-4788069
Old 10-19-05, 04:25 PM

What OOP Anchor Bay discs should I try hunting down while I still can, or any other poosibly OOP discs?
Old 10-19-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all the anchor bay hammer films are OOP..just get everything in the list in the other thread i posted towards the top
Old 10-19-05, 04:34 PM

I realized they're all OOP, but do they all warrant a purchase? I guess it's difficult since I haven't watched anything yet, so it's not as if I have discerning Hammer taste, but if I got the Warner set, the Universal disc, and the Anchor Bay discs I bought today, what else is simply a must buy?
Old 10-19-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK!!

That movie is awesome. One of my favourite hammer films.
Agreed and The Devils Rides Out is my personal favorite. Does the double bill port over the LD commentaries?
Old 10-19-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
I realized they're all OOP, but do they all warrant a purchase? I guess it's difficult since I haven't watched anything yet, so it's not as if I have discerning Hammer taste, but if I got the Warner set, the Universal disc, and the Anchor Bay discs I bought today, what else is simply a must buy?
The MGM Midnight Movie doubler feature Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers is a must have.
From Paramount Captain Kronos and Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell

One Million Years B.C. from Fox is Hammer
Die! Die! My Darling is available from Columbia

One of the better ones, She, is available in R2.
Old 10-19-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MGM's "Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers" disc is a must have.

From the Anchor Bay double disc sets, the next one I'd be looking for is: "Mummy's Shroud/Plague Of The Zombies"
Old 10-19-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a great thread, BTW. Good info.
Old 10-19-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[Chandler Bing voice]Can there BE any more Hammer bootlegs on eBay?[/Chandler Bing voice]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.